[CANCELED] 1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay

How the F did we get down this population rat hole? I feel like I am in a meeting with a client discussing market entry strategies based on attractive MSA's.

Can we get back to fussing over VE, why nothing cool ever gets built, etc.?

The 1000 Boylston St thread is closed, but there's new about it today.

Fish and Weiner were partners in the project, then it sounds like Weiner got cold feet and killed it without Fish's approval. Now Fish is suing.

Interesting. Depending on how this law suit plays out, maybe there's an outside shot that something could be salvaged here?

The old thread is closed. John Fish, Suffolk Construction, is suing his partner Stephen Weiner. Fish claims he lost $43 million.

The deal seems to have unraveled when lenders sought more personal guarantees from Fish and Weiner, which Weiner was reticent or unwilling to give. And the project fell apart.

Money is getting tighter.

Mods, if you re-open the old thread, you can move this post there.

I'm re-opening this for the purpose of discussing ongoing recriminations. Keep it to that topic or this gets shuttered again.

Personal guarantees on an $800M development with already slim margins and skyrocketing construction costs is a sure-fire way to bankrupt yourself. Never sign personal guarantees, especially at the peak of the market.

To clarify: stick to the legal recriminations over the canceled project ;)

Lord knows there are plenty of ongoing recriminations simmering among aB users :unsure:

Now that this is cancelled I think we should take a hard look at what we have here.

For all intents and purposes this is THE last parcel that a supertall would go on if there is ever going to be one built in Boston. I think its worth deciding if we want to throw it away so fast or maybe take advantage.

Its not like theres no precedent either, Tommys tower was a big deal for a while. Its long dead now and the FAA was never going to let it happen, but here we have a real spot that works. Once its gone its going to be near impossible to ever hit 1000’. Even if somehow theres a way theres nothing as good as this. Thats something that needs to be understood and thought through imo as a city.

I agree it may, Id like to see it rendered and lots of sightlines to look at and see. Thats why I think it should be explored to see if its a good idea or not. Public discussion, lots of renders, bpda recommendations, maybe some proposals, weigh out the options and decide.

I see your point, but personally I don't love that spot for a new tallest. The skyline would look really imbalanced with a thousand footer bookending Back Bay to the west.

Look at Seattle with Columbia Center at the very edge of the skyline. It doesn't look out of place at all. In fact, this plus new towers at the Hynes and Kings parking garage would change the Back Bay's dynamic for good, and since 1 Dalton was built is that really a bad thing to finish the job?

Look at Seattle with Columbia Center at the very edge of the skyline. It doesn't look out of place at all. In fact, this plus new towers at the Hynes and Kings parking garage would change the Back Bay's dynamic for good, and since 1 Dalton was built is that really a bad thing to finish the job?

Also Chicago...Willis tower is at the southwest corner of their Downtown core. There's only one building taller than 600 feet anywhere near it, and its a 900 footer that looks like 111 Huntington sittting next to the Pru and 1 Dalton, relatively speaking.

Sounds like a mess. Can the city eminent domain this parcel in the meantime and pass it to a team that's less of a dumpster fire?

I see your point, but personally I don't love that spot for a new tallest. The skyline would look really imbalanced with a thousand footer bookending Back Bay to the west.

Might look great with a second bookend on the site of the Nashua Street Jail!

Reactions: W-4

Back