Ceaseless Cheerleading for One's Local Alma Mater

bigpicture7

Reaction score
One of the things that makes Boston so special is that it is a vibrant multi-university city. Each of our several amazing universities contributes to the economic, academic, arts, and social scenes in a way that's practically unmatched in other U.S. cities. Sometimes these universities are closely involved in the development projects on this forum - sometimes in great ways, sometimes in less great ways. It is certainly understandable that discussions of posters' local alma maters will at times weave their way into development threads. As an alum of more than one of schools we discuss on here, I understand the natural tug to relate things back to one's alma mater...

BUT,
Certain poster(s) use the development threads to ceaselessly, unyieldingly tout their alma mater at every conceivable opportunity - oftentimes in ways that are tangential, at best, to the discussion about the development, urbanism, or architecture. That can detract from the focus on the project and its architecture, and can derail and squelch threads that were otherwise shaping up to be engaging discussions across multiple posters.

I nominate this thread as a space to reroute those derailed discussions. Mods, feel free to disagree and/or move / rename / delete / etc. what I started here. I simply wanted to raise this topic as an issue we may want to deal with. Cheers!

Last edited:
One of the things that makes Boston so special is that it is a vibrant multi-university city. Each of our several amazing universities contributes to the economic, academic, arts, and social scenes in a way that's practically unmatched in other U.S. cities. Sometimes these universities are closely involved in the development projects on this forum - sometimes in great ways, sometimes in less great ways. It is certainly understandable that discussions of posters' local alma maters will at times weave their way into development threads. As an alum of more than one of schools we discuss on here, I understand the natural tug to relate things back to one's alma mater...

BUT,
Certain poster(s) use the development threads to ceaselessly, unyieldingly tout their alma mater at every conceivable opportunity - oftentimes in ways that are tangential, at best, to the discussion about the development, urbanism, or architecture. That can detract from the focus on the project and its architecture, and can derail and squelch threads that were otherwise shaping up to be engaging discussions across multiple posters.

I nominate this thread as a space to reroute those derailed discussions. Mods, feel free to disagree and/or move / rename / etc. what I started here. I simply wanted to raise this topic as an issue we may want to deal with. Cheers!

What about those of us who ceaselessly trash how archtecturally UGLY a campus our alma mater is? (Hi Brandeis, love Shmessy, Class of '87!)

What about those of us who ceaselessly trash how archtecturally UGLY a campus our alma mater is? (Hi Brandeis, love Shmessy, Class of '87!)

Sure, if mods don't delete this admittedly stupid thread of mine, then you can use it for that too! Though I think you're being harsh : )

Seriously, though, I started this thread because, despite being strongly motivated to, I was trying hard to avoid the urge to call this poster out in their numerous development threads where they use every possible opportunity to somehow (longwindedly) steer the discussion toward how their alma mater is the greatest, most significant contributor to the region (and world!), despite the discussion often having little to do with whatever they raise. I know, I know, I can "ignore this user," but the issue is I have seen his/her posts essentially kill numerous threads. When an "ignored" user puts a damper on a discussion, it just tends to die for everyone else too.

Last edited:
Sure, if mods don't delete this admittedly stupid thread of mine, then you can use it for that too! Though I think you're being harsh : )

Seriously, though, I started this thread because, despite being strongly motivated to, I was trying hard to avoid the urge to call this poster out in their numerous development threads where they use every possible opportunity to somehow (longwindedly) steer the discussion toward how their alma mater is the greatest thing ever, despite the discussion often having little to do with what they raise. I know, I know, I can "ignore this user," but the issue is I have seen his/her posts essentially kill numerous threads. When an "ignored" user puts a damper on a discussion, it just tends to die for everyone else too.

The mods know about him. They have for many years. They are very nice people and have the Patience of Job. That poster knows full well what he is doing and simply doesn't care.

The mods know about him. They have for many years. They are very nice people. Really, the Patience of Job. He knows full well what he is doing and simply doesn't care.

The mods are amazing. It's a thankless job, but they make this site possible. If I could, maybe I'd just rename this thread the mods appreciation thread.

Back