Census 2010 - Southern Maine - Guesses?

I was surprised to see Portland's gains, but more power to 'em. I do not think Lewiston's influx of immigrants is looked upon too fondly by the old timers, even if the census has yielded positive results.

I feel vindicated after calling out Sanford planners who boldly predicted 30k by 2010. Ha!

I agree with your Lewiston views. Have not seen Sanford's new figures yet?

I do not think Lewiston's influx of immigrants is looked upon too fondly by the old timers, even if the census has yielded positive results.

I've, unfortunately, heard the same thing about Portland. It's a city that as of 2000, was over 91% non-hispanic white. That doesn't say much for diversity at all. Still, I have friends living there who refer to neighborhoods now as "little Mogadishu" and talk about how bad crime has gotten. Please. Portland is an incredibly safe small city. There's no such thing as a ghetto in Portland. It's one of the strongest selling points of the city. I know dozens of larger cities in New England who would kill to have the lack of crime that Portland has. The immigrants bring some much needed diversity to the table. It certainly helps census figures too!

Sanford had a net loss of -8 people. A negligible amount that really doesn't say anything about the town one way or another.

I have heard many bad things about the "little mogadishu" in Lewiston. I've heard the strain on the schools, the health code violations (e.g., chickens living inside tenements).

I've, unfortunately, heard the same thing about Portland. It's a city that as of 2000, was over 91% non-hispanic white. That doesn't say much for diversity at all. Still, I have friends living there who refer to neighborhoods now as "little Mogadishu" and talk about how bad crime has gotten. Please. Portland is an incredibly safe small city. There's no such thing as a ghetto in Portland. It's one of the strongest selling points of the city. I know dozens of larger cities in New England who would kill to have the lack of crime that Portland has. The immigrants bring some much needed diversity to the table. It certainly helps census figures too!

Fair point, and I agree. But, everything is relative. From the perspective of Maine as the relevant universe of comparison (and this goes back to our skyline discussion, too, a bit), their comments make more sense.

Also, another post you wrote said that diversity was unaccounted for in many places last census...Portland is one of them. There is no way it was over 90%...There were large demographic changes right around the census collection time (a migration of Cambodians to Lowell, for instance) that might have decreased diversity residents a bit, too). Anyway, as that is pure conjecture and speculation on my end, that is neither here nor there, but I thought I would throw it in from my personal perspective. It wasn't as diverse as it is today, but nor do I think that statistic was accurate. Also, is it diverse if all the minorities are from the same place? Arguably not. I'd like to see a greater mix of people, although I realize its not a soup with ingredients...certain factors beyond the control of planning decide which cities are diverse and which are not. In terms of overall diversity, Portland seems to be doing well (age, income, background, orientation, education, geographic origin...those from away...and now beginning to be racially diverse).

Fair point, and I agree. But, everything is relative. From the perspective of Maine as the relevant universe of comparison (and this goes back to our skyline discussion, too, a bit), their comments make more sense.

I agree. But has crime actually increased? I haven't seen much solid data either way. I don't doubt that it's somewhat locally influenced.

Also, another post you wrote said that diversity was unaccounted for in many places last census...Portland is one of them. There is no way it was over 90%...There were large demographic changes right around the census collection time (a migration of Cambodians to Lowell, for instance) that might have decreased diversity residents a bit, too). Anyway, as that is pure conjecture and speculation on my end, that is neither here nor there, but I thought I would throw it in from my personal perspective. It wasn't as diverse as it is today, but nor do I think that statistic was accurate. Also, is it diverse if all the minorities are from the same place? Arguably not. I'd like to see a greater mix of people, although I realize its not a soup with ingredients...certain factors beyond the control of planning decide which cities are diverse and which are not. In terms of overall diversity, Portland seems to be doing well (age, income, background, orientation, education, geographic origin...those from away...and now beginning to be racially diverse).

I agree. I wasn't leaving Portland out. The reason I didn't bring it up was because I think Portland has done a great job of attracting all demographics (different economic backgrounds and races). Prov. Burlington, and Boston fit in that category too. I was pointing out that while a population increase is good, a city like New Bedford's increase is probably weighted more towards better counting of immigrant populations than it was towards attracting wealthier white populations (although that's part of it). Portland's growth is healthier, I think.

Back