Central heating and air conditioning

R

rayray07

I'm wondering why in the (land down under) are new residences in Boston being built with no central a/c in them. I mean, isn't this 2007 for crying out loud. :x

Because they cost a lot of money and if it ain't luxury it ain't worth the extra $.

That' s what Boston's problem is now. They're paying too much attention to the wealthy and not paying enough to the middle class and urban poor. Then they wonder why there's all the crime and stuff in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan. Look at the living conditions!

Haha you idealist, you. That happens everywhere all the time, throughout history.

rayray07 said:
I'm wondering why in the (land down under) are new residences in Boston being built with no central a/c in them. I mean, isn't this 2007 for crying out loud. :x
And flying cars. I was promised flying cars.

Also: I want a pony. It's 2007! Why hasn't anyone given me a pony?

This is New England, not Florida. Not having central A/C is hardly deplorable living conditions. Most people would never use it, so what justifies the cost? Just throw in a window unit for the three hot days we get a year. I'd love to read your research that traces crime rates in poorer neighborhoods to the lack of air conditioning. Can you imagine how violent this city was before electricity!??! Yikes!

jjk5 said:
I'd love to read your research that traces crime rates in poorer neighborhoods to the lack of air conditioning. Can you imagine how violent this city was before electricity!??! Yikes!

I understand air conditioning is quite pleasant after Midnight Basketball.

This is a crazy topic, but to suggest that A/C is unnecessary b/c it doesn't get warm enough here to justify it is down right retarded. It's been in the 80s, and occasional lower 90s for a while now; and I don't think that August will cool us off. The air conditioning compressor went down in my office the other day and we had to call it an early day b/c of the heat.
I would also be willing to bet that as the temperature rises..so do the violent crime rates in cities.

I think it's pretty well documented that as temperatures rise, so does crime. However, in terms of scientific causality, this is kind of like the relationship between global warming and pirateering; global temps rise, number of pirates goes down. Maybe you should be looking at the lack of summer opportunities for inner-city teenagers, and not the lack of a/c units.

nico said:
This is a crazy topic, but to suggest that A/C is unnecessary b/c it doesn't get warm enough here to justify it is down right retarded. It's been in the 80s, and occasional lower 90s for a while now; and I don't think that August will cool us off. The air conditioning compressor went down in my office the other day and we had to call it an early day b/c of the heat.
I would also be willing to bet that as the temperature rises..so do the violent crime rates in cities.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Obviously there's a use for air conditioning in New England, but I don't think it's outrageous that every residence rich or poor isn't outfitted with central air. I grew up in a household that never used an air conditioner and I made it out alive. Sure, there's one in my window now but some of my neighbors go without. That's their choice, they could easily go out and spend 80 dollars on a cheap window unit. My post was just meant to point out that his rant is absurd, no developer is going to think it's their social responsibility to put in central air when its tenants might never use it. Maybe I should complain that all the rich residences come with dishwashers and washing machines. Where's my dishwasher?? Isn't this 2007??

I get what you guys are saying but I wasn't blaming the crime rate on air conditioning, though it is frustrating to come home on a hot day to a hot home and probably causes some kind of violent thinking or rage. I do agree that the teens need something more to do in the summer time to keep them off the streets because I'm a teen myself and I can barely find any good activities to do. Most of the activities are either for the young kids or the adults.

I have never had central AC. Didn't even have room AC until I was over 40. Hasn't anyone ever heard of a fan?

I really don't think a lack of central a/c is justifiable. Just because we went without it at one time doesn't mean we should now. If you have forced hot air, putting in air conditioning really isn't that large an expense.

Back