Century-old retail and restaurants in Boston

statler

Reaction score
Surviving as a retail or restaurant space is a challenge anywhere and surviving for 100+ years is especially impressive. Perhaps Boston have been lucky in this regard and we had more than our fair share of such places, however it seems that we have lost A LOT of spaces recently that had previously survived a Great Depression, countless recessions, two worlds wars, white flight, urban renewal and the ensuing gentrification. They are probably a myriad of reasons for this, but to me it just seems like as a society we have decided that old things should either be declared 'historic' and put into (or made into) a museum or discarded. Living history is either out of vogue or just too expensive (or to put a finer point on it, not profitable enough).

I recently found out that M. Steinert & Sons will be closing it's Boston location at the end of the year and I was compiling a mental list of local spots that have closed recently(ish) - Filene's, Filene's Basement, Locke-Ober, Stoddard’s (the store, not the restaurant), Jacob Wirth, Durgin-Park, Doyles, Steinarts, etc... and I started to think, "Well, what's left?"

So I started a list of really old retail establishments and restaurants we still have left (as of this writing at least). Unfortunately, I could only come up a really short list and it mostly confined to downtown, so I know I mist be missing a ton. Anything you can add would be appreciated. I'm mostly thinking about larger, more well known places, but places like a tailor shop that been operating in the basement in Dorchester since 1902 are cool too.

Warren Tavern
EB Horn
Union Oyster House
Parker House
Fairmont Copley
Park Plaza
(yeah, this is 1927 but still fits I think)
Long's Jewelers (they are not in their original location and I think they may have left Boston altogether at some point for a while?)

So I know I am missing some really obvious stuff as well as probably some smaller places. I'm not including government, educational or cultural/art institutions.

Last edited:
Surviving as a retail or restaurant space is a challenge anywhere and surviving for 100+ years is especially impressive. Perhaps Boston have been lucky in this regard and we had more than our fair share of such places, however it seems that we have lost A LOT of spaces recently that had previously survived a Great Depression, countless recessions, two worlds wars, white flight, urban renewal and the ensuing gentrification. They are probably a myriad of reasons for this, but to me it just seems like as a society we have decided that old things should either be declared 'historic' and put into (or made into) a museum or discarded. Living history is either out of vogue or just too expensive (or to put a finer point on it, not profitable enough).

I recently found out that M. Steinert & Sons will be closing it's Boston location at the end of the year and I was compiling a mental list of local spots that have closed recently(ish) - Filene's, Filene's Basement, Locke-Ober, Stoddard’s (the store, not the restaurant), Jacob Wirth, Durgin-Park, Doyles, Steinarts, etc... and I started to think, "Well, what's left?"

So I started a list of really old retail establishments and restaurants we still have left (as of this writing at least). Unfortunately, I could only come up a really short list and it mostly confined to downtown, so I know I mist be missing a ton. Anything you can add would be appreciated. I'm mostly thinking about larger, more well known places, but places like a tailor shop that been operating in the basement in Dorchester since 1902 are cool too.

Warren Tavern
EB Horn
Union Oyster House
Parker House
Fairmont Copley
Park Plaza
(yeah, this is 1927 but still fits I think)
Long's Jewelers (they are not in their original location and I think they may have left Boston altogether at point for a while?)

So I know I am missing some really obvious stuff as well as probably some smaller places. I'm not including government, educational or cultural/art institutions.

WAIT,WUT?????? Steinert's is leaving Piano Row??????

What is happening to Steinert Hall????? In the past few years, I seached the internet and have heard zilch about any restoration/renovation - - this was even after Today Show ran a long story on it. What a hidden treasure Steinert Hall is - - - I'm worried this is going to be lost forever.

What is happening to Steinert Hall????? In the past few years, I seached the internet and have heard zilch about any restoration/renovation - - this was even after Today Show ran a long story on it. What a hidden treasure Steinert Hall is - - - I'm worried this is going to be lost forever.

Likely to be continued to be used as a storage unit. Due to fire codes its basically impossible to get it up to code with proper egresses and do it on a reasonable budget.

Likely to be continued to be used as a storage unit. Due to fire codes its basically impossible to get it up to code with proper egresses and do it on a reasonable budget.

Such a tragic loss of a very unique and wonderful concert hall. A buried treasure.

WAIT,WUT?????? Steinert's is leaving Piano Row??????

Yeah, I'm really confused about this. All I can find is that 'they need to vacate' which usually means the landlord is jacking up the rent, but that building was purpose built for them in 1912(?), do they not own it or are maintenance costs on a 100+ year old building just too high for a piano shop?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm really confused about this. All I can find is that 'they need to vacate' which ususally means the landlord is jacking up the rent, but that building was purpose built for them in 1912(?), do they not own it or are maintenance costs on a 100 year old building just too high for a piano shop?

Possibly maintenance (or property taxes). Also it's quite possible they did own it at one point in time and then sold it between then and now. For example, it's possible they sold it to a REIT in order to raise capital for something else and then signed an XX year lease.

Yeah, I'm really confused about this. All I can find is that 'they need to vacate' which usually means the landlord is jacking up the rent, but that building was purpose built for them in 1912(?), do they not own it or are maintenance costs on a 100+ year old building just too high for a piano shop?

Whoever the landlord is, it appears that, at the very least, they possess some sense of humor/history, judging by the LLC name they bestowed on the property.

A quick perusal of Assessing further reveals that Emerson owns 8 out of 13 of the parcels along that block of Boylston, probably 75% or more of the total frontage... wonder if it was in their IMP (or internal planning dialogues) to try to buy-out the remainder, before the 'rona (presumably) but a severe squeeze on their long-term fiscal prognosis?

This may be one of the only instances where if any owner of that property aims to destroy the Hall, I will personally lie in front of the demo equipment.

This may be one of the only instances where if any owner of that property aims to destroy the Hall, I will personally lie in front of the demo equipment.

Have you actually ever been in the hall or heard if its acoustics are any good? Its a cool space, but why the fanaticism?

Have you actually ever been in the hall or heard if its acoustics are any good? Its a cool space, but why the fanaticism?

Accoustics aren't the reason (although if you see the video below, violinist Joshua Bell and the acclaimed music afficionado Matt Lauer report they are superb.

How about URBAN HISTORY. Rachmaninoff, Paderewski and others worked in this hall. It is a singular architectural space that has no existing compere anywhere in the US. This should be on the National Historic Registry and protected.

Sadly, no, I've not made int inside - - I have tried on occasion, but the public is not allowed in until $6 million in renovations are done......which is still pending.

Last year, I was in town on a long walk one night around 10pm - - the light in the street entryway was on and the door was ajar. I pushed it open and started tiptoeing in looking for the elevator/stairway down. Was caught only a few steps in and was politely told to vacate the premises.

If anyone wants to find out exactly what an historical and unique place Steinert Hall is, here is just one video.

I think most everyone would agree, it would be a human tragedy to lose this space. Why destroy it? It is in no one's way. And perhaps, someday, could be restored - - obviously, because of fire codes, for a few people at a time, but what did London do with Churchill's bunker?

Last edited:
Not sure what date criteria you are using, but here are two in Roslindale, one which definitely qualifies, one which might not:

Roslindale Hardware (est 1888)
Pleasant Cafe (est 1937)

The hardware store is not in the original location, but the Pleasant is.

I didn't know about Roslindale Hardware, that's cool. The Pleasant I am well acquainted with. It's a very cool space. You also reminded me of Sullivan's Pharmacy which apparently opened in 1912 (such a big year for Boston) and moved into their current location in 1976.

This is more of a curiosity than anything so I don't really have firm date beyond 'the older it is, the more interesting it is'

I didn't know about Roslindale Hardware, that's cool. The Pleasant I am well acquainted with. It's a very cool space. You also reminded me of Sullivan's Pharmacy which apparently opened in 1912 (such a big year for Boston) and moved into their current location in 1976.

This is more of a curiosity than anything so I don't really have firm date beyond 'the older it is, the more interesting it is'
Spent a lot of my youth in Rozzie Square. Rialto Theater, Smiling Sam’s records, Vanilla Coke at the 5 @ 10. Was really a great place back then.

Back