Charles St. Jail Hotel

JoeGallows

Reaction score
Yaaarrr, she be topped off.

JailHotel1.jpg

JailHotel2.JPG

This is one construction site you can get quite close and cuddly with whilst avoiding the welding sparks, of course.

JailHotel3.jpg

Thanks for the update. Does a rendering for this building exist?

I didn't realize how large this hotel was going to be. The hotel boom in Boston is going strong though most of them are luxury hotels. We really need a some medium priced hotels.

While not in "Boston proper", I should think that many of the hotels u/c and planned for the South Boston/Seaport District might be considered "medium priced".

^^ I didn't know quite what phrase to use. Obviously the South Boston Waterfront is part of the City of Boston. I guess I meant Downtown.

Regardless, I mostly wanted to point out that a number of medium-cost hotels were accompanying the recent boom in luxury hotels.

^ This is correct use of "Boston Proper". This term refers to the original city of Boston. Southie was annexed in 1804. I usually think of Boston Proper as being everything whose mailing address is Boston, MA. (Letters sent to JP for example are addressed Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, even though it's now part of the City of Boston. Side note- many towns adjacent to Rochester, NY are addressed Rochester even though they're separate municipalities.) This includes the original Boston plus Back Bay. Not sure how Southie's addressed.

http://www.bpl.org/research/govdocs/bospop.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Boston,_Massachusetts#Geographic_expansion

actually, most if not all of what we now call the South Boston Waterfront was just plain water in 1804. As was the Back Bay, Fenway, most of the South End ...

?

looks like it may be a facade mockup...

did you happen to see the other side?

As mention by naushoncap122 (but I want to keep it under 1 thread instead of multiple ones) there is a problem with the scaffolding.

Dangling scaffolding causes traffic jam on Storrow Drive

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff and Boston.com staff | July 3, 2006

A large scaffolding platform on the 14th floor of a building under construction at Charles Street and Storrow Drive became unstable this afternoon when a support beam bent and the platform was left dangling high over the ground below.

Officials said fortunately workers on the platform at the time were able to get off the scaffolding safely.

However, traffic on both sides of Storrow Drive had to be rerouted as a safety precaution. Traffic over the Longfellow Bridge and along Charles Street was being slowed because of the incident and pedestrian traffic was diverted around the scene.

Even though the normal traffic volume was below normal because of the long holiday weekend the closing of the road did present problems for those making their way to the nearby Hatch Shell for tonight's Boston Pops rehearsal performance of the program it will present Tuesday night at its traditional July 4th concert.

Before the incident took place it had been planned to close Storrow Drive West to highway traffic at 6:30 p.m. because of the rehearsal.

Offficials said they did not know for sure what caused the scaffolding to drop but it might have been due to excessive weight.

The hotel construction project is being carried out on what was originally the site of the historic Charles Street Jail.

The new building in what is generally referred as the Charles Circle area will be 16-stories high and is near the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Shortly after 6 p.m. it was reported a 75-foot crane was enroute from South Boston to work on the removal of the dangling platform. It was not immediately learned just how long such a job would take.

Television reports from the scene showed workmen holding lines keeping the platform secured to the building.

WHDH-TV also reported that Boston television stations had been requested by State Police to keep news helicopters away from the accident scene for fear vibrations from the copters might cause the platform to fall.

Pics from 8/30 of the hotel and the Charles/MGH Station:

Hotel:
IMGP0511.jpg

IMGP0507.jpg

Station:
IMGP0509.jpg

IMGP0508.jpg
[/quote]

And now the cupola is in place... :) I think that the original cupola was painted white; I'll be curious to see if this is the final color.

CSJail-01.jpg

CSJail-02.jpg

CSJail-03.jpg

CSJail-04.jpg

CSJail-05.jpg

CSJail-07.jpg

CSJail-09.jpg

CSJail-11.jpg

Oh, and the hotel is ok, too... ;)

CSJail-08.jpg

In case anyone has forgotten when Boston was founded. The condition of the seal is remarkable given how old it must be:

CSJail-06.jpg

The cupola looks like a remnant of the Hotel Commonwealth from its early cartoonish days.

Me too. It's really awesome!

Those pictures are awesome too! You already get a great sense of how the skyline will look once the jail and hotel are completed. And for some reason, the 7th pic down is just breathtaking. I love the contrast of downtown Boston with the jail and new hotel in the front.

kz1000ps said:
The cupola looks like a remnant of the Hotel Commonwealth from its early cartoonish days.
Exactly. A thin caricature.

Back