Chick-Fil-A Disappointment

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
[EDIT: From here]

Not a big fan of corporations that donate millions to international organizations dedicated to the suppression and execution of LGBT people. I'm happy to not have one in my city. No matter how good the chicken is.

Not a big fan of corporations that donate millions to international organizations dedicated to the suppression and execution of LGBT people. I'm happy to not have one in my city. No matter how good the chicken is.
George ???????

I think you might have a point concerning the personal preferences of the owners of the Chic-fil-a company not liking officially sanctioned marriages beyond [1M + 1F] because of the owners sincere religious beliefs

However -- the rest of what you implied is totally off the wall:
its akin to protesting the Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (AKPIA@MIT) which offers any MIT student who registers a concentration in Islamic architecture and urbanism -- -- and you would protest it -- just because there are Muslims in the world who would execute a person for homosexual acts

George ???????

I think you might have a point concerning the personal preferences of the owners of the Chic-fil-a company not liking officially sanctioned marriages beyond [1M + 1F] because of the owners sincere religious beliefs

However -- the rest of what you implied is totally off the wall:
its akin to protesting the Aga Khan Program for Islamic Architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (AKPIA@MIT) which offers any MIT student who registers a concentration in Islamic architecture and urbanism -- -- and you would protest it -- just because there are Muslims in the world who would execute a person for homosexual acts

No. They literally donate to organizations that are pushing for the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda, and supported the same policy in Brunei.

No. They literally donate to organizations that are pushing for the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda, and supported the same policy in Brunei.
George -- that sounds like a FAKE NEWS from some haters -- No legitimate Christian Groups with which I'm familiar support anything of that nature-- ALTHOUGH some Christian Groups do oppose open homosexuality and certainly do not favor "gay marriage" based on their interpretations of Biblical Texts

While I think Politicfact is sometimes off with a leftist bias --- this is what Politicfact said about the claim:

What does Chick-fil-A have to do with Uganda’s anti-gay bill? Not much
By Daniel Funke on Friday, October 25th, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.

Our ruling
A Facebook post of a tweet claimed that Chick-fil-A has contributed to the National Christian Foundation, which then funded a preacher to travel to Uganda to help lawmakers craft an anti-gay bill.

News reports show that the evangelical preacher Lou Engle did travel to Uganda in 2010, around the time that lawmakers were crafting a bill that would have imposed the death penalty for gay sex. However, Engle did not directly contribute to the legislation. While he complimented Ugandans for their stance against homosexuality, he denounced the harsh penalties proposed in the bill.

Federal tax returns show that the National Christian Foundation contributed to Engle’s evangelical Christian group in 2009, before his trip. Documents also show that the WinShape Foundation, which is run by Chick-fil-A’s owners, donated to the National Christian Foundation in 2009, but the link between the company and Uganda’s anti-gay legislation is weak.

The post contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.

Making a claim about Chick-fil-a's philanthropy based on something that you saw on Facebook is being very naive

Reading that article, my claim is consistent. They donated to groups that support those actions overseas. I didn't say that they directly supported those actions overseas. In fact I consulted that very article you posted before sharing to be consistent with the facts. Thanks for posting it though.

Regardless, I'm not sure why you're upset. I didn't say that Chick-fil-A shouldn't be allowed in Boston. I said I'd be happy not to have one and I shared why. If you have a problem with me sharing my distaste for a company due to its owner's political beliefs so others can be similarly informed, that's more of a "you" problem. Contrary to me being naive, you seem to have run "up the wall" assuming that I'm on the "keep Chick-fil-A out of Boston" bandwagon from several years back. All I shared was a personal feeling, and reasoning for why. You leapt to the company's defense for unknown reasons (ostensibly because my beliefs are "naive").

Homophobia is homophobia, regardless of the justification.

And it’s not like the owners’ prejudice is personal/private (i.e. if they were only vocal about their views) or foreign/distant (i.e. like your Islamic comparison). They’ve actively put a lot of money towards worsening the lives of lgbtq Americans.

Consider me firmly in George’s camp on this one.

Most people don't care. "The chicken is so good though," or "get over it," or "actually, they're not that bad, you're the unreasonable one." Which is fine, I guess. Disappointing, but fine. I'm still going to explain why I wouldn't patronize and people can take it or leave it.

Most people don't care. "The chicken is so good though," or "get over it," or "actually, they're not that bad, you're the unreasonable one." Which is fine, I guess. Disappointing, but fine. I'm still going to explain why I wouldn't patronize and people can take it or leave it.

People like the World Cup, yet FIFA is easily the most corrupt and morally bankrupt sports organization in the world. They'll happily host the World Cup in a country that uses slave labor to build the stadiums - awful working conditions and dozens of workers have died among other things. Or they like a European soccer team owned by someone who made their money in less than wholesome manners.

The problem is if you stop to look at all the details, the world is a pretty shitty place. The vast majority of the computers/phones/tablets we're all using to comment on this forum were likely made by what amounts to slave labor, in a country which is currently imprisoning millions of Muslims for their religious beliefs. Our clothes are probably made in India/Southeast Asia in deplorable conditions by children. A lot of our household products & pharmaceuticals are tested on animals.

This isn't to say we shouldn't care or should have opinions about companies and their direct/indirect actions, but it shouldn't be considered "disappointing" that people will still financially support a company like Chic-fil-a even if they don't agree with their politics.

The problem is if you stop to look at all the details, the world is a pretty shitty place. The vast majority of the computers/phones/tablets we're all using to comment on this forum were likely made by what amounts to slave labor, in a country which is currently imprisoning millions of Muslims for their religious beliefs. Our clothes are probably made in India/Southeast Asia in deplorable conditions by children. A lot of our household products & pharmaceuticals are tested on animals.

This isn't to say we shouldn't care or should have opinions about companies and their direct/indirect actions, but it shouldn't be considered "disappointing" that people will still financially support a company like Chic-fil-a even if they don't agree with their politics.

How the heck should it *not* be disappointing? Everything you just brought up is disappointing. The cognitive dissonance we all live by is disappointing. To say it shouldn't be is to let us all off the hook. The world sucks in many ways. It also has many people who are trying to make it *better*. Arguing that it's *not* disappointing to live in a state of willful ignorance is bordering on nihilism.

I'm torn on Chick Fil A. While I despise their advocacy against gay marriage 5-10 years ago, they do treat their staff better than almost any fast food restaurant. It's the only fast food restaurant where the employees don't act like they hate their life.

How the heck should it *not* be disappointing? Everything you just brought up is disappointing. The cognitive dissonance we all live by is disappointing. To say it shouldn't be is to let us all off the hook. The world sucks in many ways. It also has many people who are trying to make it *better*. Arguing that it's *not* disappointing to live in a state of willful ignorance is bordering on nihilism.

tmac is right that the world is a shitty place and George is right that we should speak out on the things we want to speak out on.

None of us are perfectly consistent, but if anyone is worried about being a hypocrite, they are worried about the wrong thing. Point out injustices when you can. Have your ears open to learn about other injustices when people point them out to you. Accept that you won't be perfect, but still feel good about the battles you choose. The alternative is to let all battles go unfought because no individual can fight them all.

You're right, I could have written that better. I should have said it shouldn't be any more disappointing than some of the other things I mentioned. There's also nihilism and there's acceptance that the world is a massive place with so many things that are beyond our control. I agree with fattony above in that it's good to choose your battles....and perhaps that's what you and others are doing with Chic-fil-a and their support of anti-gay legislation. Heck, for a long time I refused to watch anything with Tom Cruise in it because I didn't want to support Scientology in any form. The problem for me--and I'm not accusing you of doing this--is when people decide they're going to die on the hill of a cause and then proceed to talk down to anyone who doesn't do the same as them.

I still remember how thousands and thousands of people back in 2012 proudly (and in my opinion, spitefully) stood in line for freakin hours to buy Chic-fil-A products when the LGBTQ community protested the fact that the owners of Chic-fil-A donated to organizations that supported anti-gay organizations! At the time it became a public referendum, not on where the money went, but on same-sex marriage and the First Amendment! So, yeah, for me, it was hugely disappointing and freakin hurtful, seeing the huge lines of people on TV, and the posts on Facebook from folks I knew who happily posted selfies of themselves in line (yes, you bet I responded to those posts) basically saying, this is my chance to say HELL NO to gay marriage, to civil rights and human rights for the LGBTQ community. And to this day, it remains disappointing for me to see progressive friends (including gay friends) eat at Chic-fil-A.

I still remember how thousands and thousands of people back in 2012 proudly (and in my opinion, spitefully) stood in line for freakin hours to buy Chic-fil-A products when the LGBTQ community protested the fact that the owners of Chic-fil-A donated to organizations that supported anti-gay organizations! At the time it became a public referendum, not on where the money went, but on same-sex marriage and the First Amendment! So, yeah, for me, it was hugely disappointing and freakin hurtful, seeing the huge lines of people on TV, and the posts on Facebook from folks I knew who happily posted selfies of themselves in line (yes, you bet I responded to those posts) basically saying, this is my chance to say HELL NO to gay marriage, to civil rights and human rights for the LGBTQ community. And to this day, it remains disappointing for me to see progressive friends (including gay friends) eat at Chic-fil-A.

Yes, that was an extremely disappointing thing to see. They weren't going to Chic-fil-a because they like the product, they were doing it to taunt anyone that supported LGBT rights. To me, that's much different than someone just getting some lunch, and it's sad that people can act so childish and hateful.

Back