The New Retail Thread

Java King

Reaction score
For what it's worth, they are building one in Hanover, MA

I'm not sure how to react as a gay man. I'll probably boycott. I think I ate there once at an airport.

BuilditDenser

Reaction score
That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2019/08/07/shake-shack-open-new-location-this-one-downtown-crossing/aSLTY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Maybe Chick-Fil-A had their sites on the location as well? But they’re certainly not actively working on opening at that location now. I’ve heard rumors about them retrying a downtown storefront now that the Menino letter is years in the rear view. They have a lot of suburban stores in MA already. So it seems like it’s just a matter of time.

Thanks for answering rather than go off on a tangent. Shake shack isn't a bad alternative

Lrfox

Reaction score
Thanks for answering rather than go off on a tangent. Shake shack isn't a bad alternative
I'm thrilled about Shake Shack going into that space. Still, regardless of your view of Chick-Fil-A, I'm sure we'll end up with one in town at some point in the near future. They're already in Peabody, Woburn, Burlington, Framingham, Dedham, and Brockton. And even more around and outside of 495. So it's not as if it's completely foreign to MA and even Metro Boston area consumers. My money on the first location would be Seaport or Assembly (though I guess the latter technically isn't in town). Downtown Crossing, Kendall, or Fenway would all make sense too.

mass88

Reaction score
They're slowly expanding their footprint in the Boston area. Stores already open in Attleboro, Brockton, Dedham, Framingham, Marlborough, Westborough, Peabody (Northsore Mall), Burlington (Burlington Mall), Plymouth and Methuen. As mentioned Hanover is under construction and they were approved for a location in Walpole, but it doesn't look like any construction is happening. The stores are usually pretty busy, so it doesn't seem like people either know, or care about the stance of the corporation.

George_Apley

Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in carrying on the Chick-Fil-A/Late-stage Capitalism Malaise conversation I moved it to General here. Carry on with new retail.