The New Retail Thread

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
Meeting in Seaport tonight about plans to turn Blue Dragon in the Fort Point into a retail marijuana facility. Sounds good to me!

whighlander

Reaction score
[QUOTE]SeamusMcFly

JoinedApr 3, 2008
Messages2,018
Reaction score0
Sep 26, 2008

Supposedly there is to be a supermarket as part of the Waterside (not next to the water) place development. Or the one next to it.

So within 10 - 15 years you may be able to buy groceries down here.[/QUOTE]

Hit on the above by accident [missed the connection to the last page in the thread] -- Very prescient as there is soon to be a Trader Joe's right there on the boundary between the old South Boston Fan Pier / Fort Point and the new Seaport / Innovation District

Trader Joe's Seaport (566)
COMING SOON!
44 Thomson Place
Boston, MA 02210
Alcohol: Not at this location

cjbski

Reaction score
Forever 21 (at the top of Newbury Street) apparently is trying to get out of their lease. Saw something on the Dartmouth Co. site about the massive site being available right away.

No surprise given F21's problems lately.

Equilibria

Reaction score
Per B&T, Target is taking the former Rite Aid in Bowdoin Square.

Only half joking - that might be enough of a draw to keep Bowdoin after RBX :).

eber

Reaction score
Per B&T, Target is taking the former Rite Aid in Bowdoin Square.
I was just thinking about this space again last week. It’s been closed/vacant for so long (2 years?) and even when it was open it had odd hours. A tiny target would be great here. Can’t wait

stick n move

Reaction score
“Target has signed a lease to open its first small-format concept store in downtown Boston.”

“The Beacon Hill store, at 100 Cambridge St., will occupy 11,000 square feet, far less space than a standard-size Target.”

“Next in the queue for its Boston presence is a 27,000-square-foot location the Fields Corner neighborhood of Dorchester which will open in 2020.”

“The company will also open a 40,000-square-foot store at the North Quincy MBTA station, anchoring a new mixed-use development there.”

Link

statler

Reaction score
I agree. I work in the area and while it's really not that far as the crow flys, both Beacon Hill and Government Center present a huge psychological barrier to "downtown".

stellarfun

Reaction score

mdd

Reaction score
One Kings lane on Thomson Place in the Seaport opened yesterday.

cjbski

Reaction score
Everlane is opening at 121 Seaport Blvd. next to People's United Bank.

Java King

Reaction score
The EVER-Expanding Caffe Nero empire opened a store a Copley Place today:

FK4

Reaction score
Distraction Brewery in Roslindale is finally open. Beer is pretty good. The footprint of the space was awkward but they did a nice job with what they have, and the place tonight was packed to capacity. It will be a great addition to the neighborhood and moreover, it's nice to see a wall of windows with people inside, on the very beginning of Belgrade... between this, the Substation, and Square Root, there's been a surprising amount of activity happening here.

I am still wondering what the deal is with the Roslindale outpost for Chilacates, fingers crossed.

Also, in other news I ran into Mitch, the guy who is trying to open a cannabis shop on South Street, tonight. He said all the neighborhood stuff was positive so he's literally been sitting and waiting for the slow-as-molasses Boston (and CCC) bureaucracy to make a decision. Honestly, it's downright disgusting how much the city has dragged its feet on cannabis shops. The debate is over. Yes, it needs to be rolled out wisely. No, that does not equal outright inaction as a passive aggressive mechanism to slow the whole thing down, just because the mayor doesn't believe in it. #downwithmarty #upwithmichelle

Lrfox

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this today - https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Locations/MA/Terminated-One-Milk-Street-In-Line

Obviously the word terminated isn't a good sign, but does anyone know what this is about? Having a chick fil in dtx would be a big add
That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2019/08/07/shake-shack-open-new-location-this-one-downtown-crossing/aSLTY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Maybe Chick-Fil-A had their sites on the location as well? But they’re certainly not actively working on opening at that location now. I’ve heard rumors about them retrying a downtown storefront now that the Menino letter is years in the rear view. They have a lot of suburban stores in MA already. So it seems like it’s just a matter of time.

George_Apley

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2019/08/07/shake-shack-open-new-location-this-one-downtown-crossing/aSLTY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Maybe Chick-Fil-A had their sites on the location as well? But they’re certainly not actively working on opening at that location now. I’ve heard rumors about them retrying a downtown storefront now that the Menino letter is years in the rear view. They have a lot of suburban stores in MA already. So it seems like it’s just a matter of time.
There's certainly no shortage of vacant storefronts for them to choose from, given landlords' proclivities to hold out for long-term, deep-pocketed commercial tenants.