The New Retail Thread

Per B&T, Target is taking the former Rite Aid in Bowdoin Square.

Only half joking - that might be enough of a draw to keep Bowdoin after RBX :).

Per B&T, Target is taking the former Rite Aid in Bowdoin Square.

I was just thinking about this space again last week. It’s been closed/vacant for so long (2 years?) and even when it was open it had odd hours. A tiny target would be great here. Can’t wait

“Target has signed a lease to open its first small-format concept store in downtown Boston.”

“The Beacon Hill store, at 100 Cambridge St., will occupy 11,000 square feet, far less space than a standard-size Target.”

“Next in the queue for its Boston presence is a 27,000-square-foot location the Fields Corner neighborhood of Dorchester which will open in 2020.”

“The company will also open a 40,000-square-foot store at the North Quincy MBTA station, anchoring a new mixed-use development there.”

Link

I agree. I work in the area and while it's really not that far as the crow flys, both Beacon Hill and Government Center present a huge psychological barrier to "downtown".

Boston Public Market to open 6,000 sq ft location in Terminal C at Logan later this year.

ISJUJFPU4FHBHOPKWD7OO7RTXU.JPG

I think the all-important bar is just beyond the gray pillar.

One Kings lane on Thomson Place in the Seaport opened yesterday.

Everlane is opening at 121 Seaport Blvd. next to People's United Bank.

Distraction Brewery in Roslindale is finally open. Beer is pretty good. The footprint of the space was awkward but they did a nice job with what they have, and the place tonight was packed to capacity. It will be a great addition to the neighborhood and moreover, it's nice to see a wall of windows with people inside, on the very beginning of Belgrade... between this, the Substation, and Square Root, there's been a surprising amount of activity happening here.

I am still wondering what the deal is with the Roslindale outpost for Chilacates, fingers crossed.

Also, in other news I ran into Mitch, the guy who is trying to open a cannabis shop on South Street, tonight. He said all the neighborhood stuff was positive so he's literally been sitting and waiting for the slow-as-molasses Boston (and CCC) bureaucracy to make a decision. Honestly, it's downright disgusting how much the city has dragged its feet on cannabis shops. The debate is over. Yes, it needs to be rolled out wisely. No, that does not equal outright inaction as a passive aggressive mechanism to slow the whole thing down, just because the mayor doesn't believe in it. #downwithmarty #upwithmichelle

I stumbled upon this today - https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Locations/MA/Terminated-One-Milk-Street-In-Line

Obviously the word terminated isn't a good sign, but does anyone know what this is about? Having a chick fil in dtx would be a big add

That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...TY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Maybe Chick-Fil-A had their sites on the location as well? But they’re certainly not actively working on opening at that location now. I’ve heard rumors about them retrying a downtown storefront now that the Menino letter is years in the rear view. They have a lot of suburban stores in MA already. So it seems like it’s just a matter of time.

That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2019/08/07/shake-shack-open-new-location-this-one-downtown-crossing/aSLTY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Maybe Chick-Fil-A had their sites on the location as well? But they’re certainly not actively working on opening at that location now. I’ve heard rumors about them retrying a downtown storefront now that the Menino letter is years in the rear view. They have a lot of suburban stores in MA already. So it seems like it’s just a matter of time.

There's certainly no shortage of vacant storefronts for them to choose from, given landlords' proclivities to hold out for long-term, deep-pocketed commercial tenants.

For what it's worth, they are building one in Hanover, MA

I'm not sure how to react as a gay man. I'll probably boycott. I think I ate there once at an airport.

That’s where the new Shake Shack is going: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2019/08/07/shake-shack-open-new-location-this-one-downtown-crossing/aSLTY34YQBflX1DHDldZbN/story.html?outputType=amp

Thanks for answering rather than go off on a tangent. Shake shack isn't a bad alternative

Thanks for answering rather than go off on a tangent. Shake shack isn't a bad alternative

I'm thrilled about Shake Shack going into that space. Still, regardless of your view of Chick-Fil-A, I'm sure we'll end up with one in town at some point in the near future. They're already in Peabody, Woburn, Burlington, Framingham, Dedham, and Brockton. And even more around and outside of 495. So it's not as if it's completely foreign to MA and even Metro Boston area consumers. My money on the first location would be Seaport or Assembly (though I guess the latter technically isn't in town). Downtown Crossing, Kendall, or Fenway would all make sense too.

Back