The New Retail Thread

jass

Reaction score
I've been noticing a lot of changes to the retail scene in my area, and I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to new retail in Boston. We can discuss what's opening, what's closing, and what new things we can try out.

---
Landmark Center
Panera Bread replaces empty space (had been empty for years) next to Regal Theater and blick art store
New healthy burger place replaces health food store, next to the Panera. It's called Ugrill or something.

Trilogy
Chipotle opening soon, occupying the last available slot on the corner closest to fenway

Fenway:
Guitar Center opening soon, moving from Comm Ave location

Kenmore
Qdoba opening soon in location vacated by store 24 last year

BU East (700 Comm Ave)
Subway opening next week in former bank location (had been empty for years)
Starbucks opened last month at former Taco Bell location

So does this mean the only Taco Bell in Boston is gone? I know there's one on Rt 1, not sure if it's Dedham or West Roxbury, though.

Also, about the Chipotle/Qdoba: I haven't been back home in years, but it's hard to believe Boston ('s college students) need MORE burrito places. I don't think we have this many in California!

So does this mean the only Taco Bell in Boston is gone? I know there's one on Rt 1, not sure if it's Dedham or West Roxbury, though.

Also, about the Chipotle/Qdoba: I haven't been back home in years, but it's hard to believe Boston ('s college students) need MORE burrito places. I don't think we have this many in California!

I think that area is still considered boston, but i could be wrong. At any rate, it is right on the line.

And yes, I LOVE burrito's, but Anna's is still my favorite.

UGrill is the former KnowFat!.. They changed names about a year ago

I stumbled on this a couple nights ago while browsing around. I'm planing on going on Saturday to check it out. To me, this seems like the kind of innovative retail concept that really adds to an area's appeal.

http://achilles-project.com/

!

Im pretty sure theres one at the Galleria food court, cambridge yes, but only by a few yards

The sad part is that all the chains are San Francisco style, no legit mexican food.

I wish Baja Fresh (out by Woburn) would get a Boston location. They LOOK american, but they serve 100% authentic mexican (along with the american options)

Example: Baja taco = steak, cilantro, onion
American taco = steak, cheese, lettuce, tomato

UGrill is the former KnowFat!.. They changed names about a year ago

Their new name is better. I wasnt sure if they switched names or owners/concepts

> Starbucks opened last month at former Taco Bell location

Starbucks is opening new stores? They made a big deal of closing a few hundred earlier this year.

There's a Taco Bell in Northeastern's Curry Student Center, FYI.

Also, with the new Parcel 18 Dorm project at Northeastern, there are supposed to be two tenants occupying ground-floor space along Tremont Avenue. I don't know who the two are that they picked, but I know it's two from this list:

Panera
Johnny Rockets
Cheeburger Cheeburger
Jamba Juice
Viga
Cosi
Fuddruckers

My burrito money goes to Andale every time. Fantastic.

Oh if they only had a Taco Land (Bell) in the Fort Point/Seaport area. But, unfortunately somehow, starving artists only eat at high end restaurants.

^^ Yeah, but only once a month. Why do you think they are starving? ;)

Artists eat their own and wash their sorrows down with $4 lattes, thus they have no need for nominal means of sustenance.

Anyone know if a supermarket is in the works for the South Boston Waterfront? It'll put a damper on the new neighborhood if residents have to traverse half of Southie to buy groceries.

Supposedly there is to be a supermarket as part of the Waterside (not next to the water) place development. Or the one next to it.

So within 10 - 15 years you may be able to buy groceries down here.

My old block on Boylston down at Berklee has undergone tremendous changes since I lived there from 2005-07. Going back to the beginning of '07, there was, moving from Mass Ave to Hemmenway: Bank of America, Spike's, Berklee Books, Costello's Liquors, Piano Forte (which I lived above), Jack's Drum Shop, Downtown 2 convenience store, Looney Tunes, Dunkin Donuts, Little Stevie's House of Pizza, Pad Thai Cafe, an antiques store, and Crazy Dough.

Six of those thirteen are gone, and Looney Tunes is out whenever its lease ends. And it wouldn't surprise me if Little Stevie's gets the boot anytime soon.

/\/\ Yeah, does anyone know what the deal is with this block of Boylston? Half of the retail spaces are vacant and have been for months. This stretch was a bit gritty, but always very active and vibrant, even with the parking lot across the street. I hope someone isn't planning on consolidating all these spaces into one big one, or worse.

This block always reminded me of the old Kenmore Square. I hope it doesnt end up the same way.

I haven't talked to my Berklee contact in a while, but I believe the school has been purchasing all those buildings from Harold Brown. I imagine we'll end up seeing something bland from the school along the lines of Druker's proposal on that block, as almost all of the buildings from Piano Forte down to Hemmenway are unremarkable in any way. The bunch from Costello's to Mass Ave are worth keeping.

Er, Druker's proposal on the same street*

(sorry, this forum still isn't working properly for me and I have no way to edit my posts)

The new Qdoba (kenmore square) is about to open. Either tomorrow or Monday. Subway I think is set for Monday

Also, the Kenmore Square BofA refurbishment is almost done.

IMG_6312.jpg

Kenmore Square:

Its open
IMG_6339.jpg

New ATM

IMG_6340.jpg

Comm Ave:
I dont remember ever seeing this before

IMG_6341.jpg

Re: The Lower Depths.
It's the old Deli Haus. I believe that it's run by people from Bukowski's. Good beer selection. Never had the food. You can get 40 oz.s and they'll put it in a brown bag for you. Nothing will replace Deli Haus, but this place gets my ok.

Back