The New Retail Thread

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
Bfresh is good for grab-and-go and certain produce. It fills a useful urban niche, but it's not a full service grocery (nor does it pretend to be).

JumboBuc

Reaction score
Another one bites the dust. Seems early yet to be in preparation for the Scape project, but maybe the lease was up and it didn't make sense to renew?

Rumor has it on Facebook that they’re going to be going into the Scape. At least that’s what one of the bartenders say.
Per Boston Magazine, the Baseball Tavern will indeed reopen in the new Scape building once it's finished:
Boston Magazine said:
Rooney, whose father opened the Baseball Tavern at a different Boylston Street location in 1963, has been involved with the business for 40 years. “It’s bittersweet,” he says, “but it’s exciting at the same time.” Rooney is excited about the new development, and promises “we’ll still have a Fenway vibe.” Rooney hopes to remove the baseball cap awnings and the Budweiser-branded sign and install them in the new bar, he says. The future Baseball Tavern won’t have a roof deck, he adds, but it will have a street-level patio.

[...]

So far, the developers been a good partner for the Baseball Tavern, Rooney says. “They’ve been great moving forward on this project for me. It’s bittersweet, but I’m going to be moving into a state-of-the-art place,” he says.
Scape probably cut the guy a fat check and offered him a below-market future lease in order to keep him around. If only every developer could handle long-standing tenants that way. And if they're actually able to reintegrate the baseball cap awnings and Bud-branded sign in a aesthetically coherent manner, that'd be pretty sweet.

Equilibria

Reaction score
Per Boston Magazine, the Baseball Tavern will indeed reopen in the new Scape building once it's finished:

Scape probably cut the guy a fat check and offered him a below-market future lease in order to keep him around. If only every developer could handle long-standing tenants that way. And if they're actually able to reintegrate the baseball cap awnings and Bud-branded sign in a aesthetically coherent manner, that'd be pretty sweet.
If it's good enough for The Burren, it's good enough for the Baseball Tavern...

Roxxma

Reaction score
still a bummer. really the only appeal of the baseball tavern was/is the roofdeck. there's plenty of meathead sports bars in town.
Prior to the Baseball Tavern (pre-2005 or so?), it was Quest/1270, which also made good use of the very same roof deck, but with more drag queens. Meathead bars are a dime a dozen here. We need are more places like Machine. I wonder if they were also offered a new space in the new development.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
Prior to the Baseball Tavern (pre-2005 or so?), it was Quest/1270, which also made good use of the very same roof deck, but with more drag queens. Meathead bars are a dime a dozen here. We need are more places like Machine. I wonder if they were also offered a new space in the new development.
They're allegedly making up for it with an "LGBT theater" space, so it'll be much more sterile than the night club. That said, I believe the owner of Machine is old and done with the business.

whighlander

Reaction score
Odurandina -- truly Sad 😭
I've probably ate more sea food at the No Name than any other restaurant in Greater Boston with the exception of the various Legals
Locke Ober, Durgin Park, Jacob Worth, L'espalier ... a sad litany just in the past couple of years of Le Fin du siècle -- old Boston [which almost could have been said 100 years ago just as much as now]

odurandina

Reaction score
^^Trend with these decades old eating and drinking establishments
is all the adjectives + disturbing. Amazed people aren't buying up these businesses,
or their naming rights--including the places with troubled balance sheets.

falcon42

Reaction score
^^Trend with these decades old eating and drinking establishments
is all the adjectives + disturbing. Amazed people aren't buying up these businesses,
or their naming rights--including the places with troubled balance sheets.
The fact that the city let them get away with not paying $700,000 in property taxes is rather absurd. I get it, the business was struggling, but if my business or anyone else's did not pay the local taxes, there are generally severe consequences.

TallIsGood

Reaction score
The fact that the city let them get away with not paying $700,000 in property taxes is rather absurd. I get it, the business was struggling, but if my business or anyone else's did not pay the local taxes, there are generally severe consequences.
There are consequences. The business filed for bankruptcy and will be liquidated. Owners will get zero.

falcon42

Reaction score
There are consequences. The business filed for bankruptcy and will be liquidated. Owners will get zero.
Yes but they haven't paid taxes in 10 years. The city ran up a huge loss they most likely will not recoup, based on that balance sheet.

Look at Bees Knees in Fort Point. They literally locked their doors for unpaid taxes a couple year ago. Selective enforcement at its finest.

Lrfox

Reaction score
^That's too bad. I've been in there as recently as last month.

In other watering hole news, Backlash Beer Co. is calling it quits (for the taproom, anyway): [Edit: Link no longer working]

Sad to see another one leave, but not at all surprised. They had a beautiful taproom in the middle of nowhere, but the beer was meh. There's way too much on the market now to make it worth going out of your way for OK $8 draft beers. I went twice on summer Saturdays when they had the garage open, and it was a ghost town.

Attachments

BuilditDenser

Reaction score
The au bon pain on Cambridge street in the West end/beacon Hill has closed. There are signs that a flour will replace it and open in the spring. As someone who lives close, this is clearly an upgrade and helps solve the problem of no good fast breakfast place in beacon Hill

Suffolk 83

Reaction score
Nice to see it will be a Flour and not a Tatte, those places are multiplying like a disease right now. I didnt even realize a new one had opened in the old B3 spot in Berkley. Tatte=corporate and sterile. Flour=moderately less so