Church Steeple Preservation

I always notice churches that seem to have lost their steeple. There are several of them around in Somerville and Medford. It's one of those things I'd do if I had a billion dollars--give enough money to repair and replace all the damged and missing steeples around.

Scaffolding is up around the First Parish Church in Dorchester steeple. We anticipate removal this weekend or next so if you want to see a steeple craned off a church, watch this space for a definite time and date.

As a bonus, there is a time capsule up in the sphere on the weather vane atop the steeple which, as church historian, I get to open.

The steeple of First Parish Church in Dorchester will be removed by crane for restoration on Friday, November 24th, between Noon and 2 P.M. If anyone is interested in coming, I will be there and would be glad to meet you. This should be something very interesting to watch and is preferable to the alternative, which is having the next hurricane blow the steeple down.

The time capsule was put in the sphere below the weather vane in 1896, when the sixth meeting house was built. The fifth meeting house, built in 1816, also had a time capsule below the weather vane. That time capsule was removed around 1830 when the steeple was hit by lightning and placed back up in the restored steeple that same year.

My guess is that the time capsule contains materials from both versions. We won't be opening it today--for one thing, no one is quite sure how the thing is sealed--but we will do a ceremony in the near future to open it and show the contents to the public. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a replay of Al Capone's vault.

Yay!

Have a great time, Charles. Look forward to hearing all the details.

John

Taken from my roof about twenty minutes ago. The crane is being put in place.

steeplecrop2largenh8.jpg

Lantern of the First Parish Church in Dorchester steeple airborne, around 2:10 P.M.

fpcsteepleairbornelargeew9.jpg

^ Truly a beautiful cupola.

Charles Street Jail, take note.

Back