City Hall: #1 world's biggest eyesore?

I can defend this building until I am blue in the face except for this part. City Hall just has too much junk in the trunk. Yes, those bricks DO make your ass look big, honey.

But all those bricks represent the earthen weight which is the true seat of the power of local government, while illustrating the strength and security which it must provide. Or something.

Just like East Germany called the Berlin Wall an "anti-fascist protection barrier".

The brick part of city hall was Kunstler's eyesore of the month at one point.

Not that I endorse that sort of thing.

The current eyesore is actually City Hall's ugly little sister in Fall River:

eyesore_200901c.jpg

This is actually something like what Boston's might look like without the brick.

I actually kinda like the Fall River City Hall but it is in terrible shape.

Lots of glass, concrete columns that vaguely recall old Greek ones ... I could come to like that building.

I would call him more of a New Puritanist. Not only does he think we should all live in strictly-regulated small towns using pre-industrial technology, but believes things like tattoos signity "cultural barbarism".

Impossibly Difficult and Expensive, but how great would it be if the brick was all removed, and underneath all of City Hall Plaza and City Hall were hollowed out to build a sort of underground marketplace, similar to Montreal. It could work seamlessly with a new Government Center Station (I think seamlessly is probably not the word to use around the Gov't Center station, but no matter.), would encourage pedestrians to leave Faneuil Hall, and allow an easier access to the T from the Congress St. side and Faneuil Hall.

K-dude,

That underground world in Montreal is drab, drab, drab. The old Washington Red Line Station (now called "Downtown Crossing" station) had a functioning arcade (functioning compared to what is there now) that was almost as appealing as the one in the great white north.

I'm trying to remember any underground place (physical, not political) that was cool. I'm not saying there aren't any, I just can't remember one. National Gallery has something, but isn't it a food court? Pei and the Louvre, I guess. Can't say I've spent much time there! The Catacombs, ok. Green Line tunnel after the trains stop running is a treat.

Someone please help me out on this one!

Toby

Ask yourself, "What's under Moscow?".

Ha! A big chunk of Leningradsky Prospekt when it collapsed into one of the underground spaces!

But certainly Toby, it is possible to create a functioning underground space. The ones in Boston you mentioned all seemed to be afterthoughts or accidents of underground spaces...not really intended for people to populate regularly (Green Line tunnels). Montreal is simply an issue of awful architecture, unique only due to the fact that it is belowground, and if I can remember well enough, lacking in light.

Since CHP is on a grade, it would really only be halfway underground. By taking into account the same principles an architect would use to design an outdoor market, you would ensure uniqueness and quality of space, and with a little effort, would have light sufficient enough to make you feel like you weren't really belowground (or more like it, in City Hall's cellar).

And hey...can you really get into the Green Line tunnels after the trains stop (without a high risk of being plowed down/electrocuted)?

And hey...can you really get into the Green Line tunnels after the trains stop (without a high risk of being plowed down/electrocuted)?

Green Line, yes. Overhead power lines. Red Line, never tried. 3rd rail looks too dicey for me. Check out some fun photos at www.abandonedsubwaytunnels.com.

As for doing something great underground, no I don't rule out the possibility. Lurker has an interesting point. BB, my knowledge of East Asian work is inadequate. I haven't seen (and/or can't remember) alot of fun stuff in my wanderings. Lack of imagination on my part, maybe.

Perhaps it comes down to this: as so much of what is built above ground deserves interrment, it is easy to be pessimistic about what might be designed for burial!

Would an underground Boston maintain the ratio of Dunkin Donuts to urban space by having a location underneath each surface DD's?

Keep in mind how many are already buried in T stops...

The inclines into the subway arent closed in any way, and theres very little activity between 2 and 5am. No idea if the lights stay on or not

Would an underground Boston maintain the ratio of Dunkin Donuts to urban space by having a location underneath each surface DD's?

Keep in mind how many are already buried in T stops...

Aside from the Sox, I would say Dunks is our number one producer of pedestrian life.

Back