City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

The Esplanade was not in the shape you see today in the 70's and 80's. Comparing the contemporary to the past is not apples to apples.
I'm going by what I've seen in the last couple of years.

I meant that in general we can't compare the level of maintenance given to the contemporary Esplanade to that of the Common 40 or 50 years ago. It's not the same.

Such a snails pace- but it is getting done. I like it. I got these from the construction site camera when it rotated.
T Station Main Entrance - Podium Corner
t station.png
main entrance.png

Main Stage Space along Cambridge St Top of walkway to Congress
main space.png
walkway.png

Middle of walkway to Congress Playground Area /Congress St. / North Entrance to City Hall
walkway two.png
playground.png

Looks like City Hall Plaza is open to the public. I see thru the camera that people are walking across this morning. I'll have to get down there and look for myself. Thanks to who ever posted the camera link. It was fun watch from the leafy suburbs of Boston.

Looks like City Hall Plaza is open to the public. I see thru the camera that people are walking across this morning. I'll have to get down there and look for myself. Thanks to who ever posted the camera link. It was fun watch from the leafy suburbs of Boston.
I think that may be a false alarm, the only people I've seen going through are all in hardhats, some in hi-viz vests... There's also still construction equipment left along the edges of the plaza.

What kinds of trees did they plant? They look rather mature for recent plantings.

What kinds of trees did they plant? They look rather mature for recent plantings.
If you are willing to pay the money, you can buy and plant fairly large size trees. See table on caliper size and related height.
https://www.bigtrees4u.com/select-your-tree/shade-trees-3/elm-6/
^^^ As the site notes, a 4 inch caliper (trunk diameter) tree is 20-22 feet tall. See the price list. Its a tradeoff between quantity and size, i.e., you can buy three smaller diameter trees for the price of a large diameter tree.

Is that slide actually stainless steel? That is going to be a skin peeler in the summer. (I'm sure it must be coated or something)

Great idea for a playground — even better for commuters. I could have used a slide like that 100s of times through the 90s transcending Gvt Center.

If you are willing to pay the money, you can buy and plant fairly large size trees. See table on caliper size and related height.
https://www.bigtrees4u.com/select-your-tree/shade-trees-3/elm-6/
^^^ As the site notes, a 4 inch caliper (trunk diameter) tree is 20-22 feet tall. See the price list. Its a tradeoff between quantity and size, i.e., you can buy three smaller diameter trees for the price of a large diameter tree.

I get that it's a real business, but "BigTrees4U.com" is one of the most sublimely funny names for a website I've heard in a while.

This looks like a huge improvement from the photos- way more landscaping, seating, and programmed space. The curvilinear ramp from congress to cambridge/tremont will make it feel much more organized and occupied than the wasteland it was before.

I'm thankful the Government Center headhouse layout and design integrates well. Was worried it would stand out like a separate project.

I am extremely skeptical that this is any kind of significant improvement.

It doesn't fix the fundamental issues of an unenclosed square with no independent retail/bars/restaurants on the perimeter, but it's a definite improvement.

What's a bummer is that the fiarly cool, long slide will be closed down within a year b/c some dumb kid will hurt his/herself and ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited:

Back