City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

The form of the plaza follows the form of the building, which meets the plaza with sheer concrete and brick walls with doors deeply recessed.

Any plaza that was remotely welcoming would be incongruent with City Hall. City Hall is a complete concept failure of a civic space and needs a wrecking ball yesterday.
Also City Hall has to be hitting design life for its building systems. Building systems in Brutalist architecture are notoriously hard to update because they got buried in the concrete. That is why MIT chose to demolish the Eastgate Tower rather then renovate it -- renovation was just too costly.

This 'makeover' cost $95 million. The Government Center MBTA station improvements cost $82 million (although constructed a few years earlier). I'd much rather they invest the cash in the MBTA than in continued makeovers of Government Center that won't address the root problems.

If these photos and that paragraph were supposed to convince me that City Hall Plaza isn’t still an awful public space even after the renovations, it didn’t work.
Agreed. Dr. Rosen, I assure you, the (totally representative) photos are not helping your case.

This 'makeover' cost $95 million. The Government Center MBTA station improvements cost $82 million (although constructed a few years earlier). I'd much rather they invest the cash in the MBTA than in continued makeovers of Government Center that won't address the root problems.

It's been said upthread, so I won't take credit, but this renovation was a tunnel waterproofing and repair project disguised as a landscaping project.

^ Great idea.

Now that weve done a multi million dollar upgrade and it still sucks once we get a few years out of it I can see calls for just redoing the whole plaza once and for all. The building itself has grown on me a bit, but the way it is situated on the lot makes it nearly impossible to create any kind of coherent public square. I think the only way we are ever going to truly make this a successful public square/Bostons front yard is to redo the whole thing. If we do we might as well do it the way they had intended from the start and create a european style public plaza.

My idea for redeveloping it would be:

A new federal style city hall building replacing the jfk building in blue. It would fit directly into the same footprint and face the street.
IMG_8491.jpeg

Something like this below facing a new pedestrianized street in green where you could have food trucks and then retail on the left side at the backside of the city plaza buildings in red.
Dearborn-City-Hall-1024x682.jpg

The red part would be low rise brick buildings that enclose a public plaza on 3 sides and the 4th side would utilize the existing mid rise buildings at the edge of the current city hall.
IMG_8494.jpeg

The buildings encompassing the red part that make up the 3 sides of the square that butt up against the above part would be something like this.
brick-building-former-hotel-zakopane-poland-july-there-large-visible-inscription-morskie-oko-dating-168157819.jpg

If we did something like that Boston would finally have the european style plaza that had always been intended from the start but never accomplished.

I think it's unlikely that any replacement for City Hall could simultaneously (a) house all of the offices and facilities that the current building centralizes on one site and (b) have an attractive architectural style that fits with the much smaller Federal style buildings we associate with Boston (like the Old and New State Houses, Faneuil Hall, etc). That's why Menino was talking about decentralizing City offices at one point, with functions moving to Roxbury, etc. and only the ceremonial functions of the City being located at "City Hall". For instance the State House, which has a massive addition out the back that somehow manages not to be ugly (a real accomplishment) can't house even a fraction of the Commonwealth's functions.

If it were up to me, they'd move the City Council and Mayor back into Old City Hall (kick out the steakhouse or whatever is in there now) and put everything else in all the office space that's opening up around Downtown and in the neighborhoods. Boston actually has a beautiful City Hall - it just isn't using it right now.

EDIT: I will grant that some people have tried to make gigantic Federal work, the most obvious example being Aetna:

1684158045397.png

^ Great idea.

Now that weve done a multi million dollar upgrade and it still sucks once we get a few years out of it I can see calls for just redoing the whole plaza once and for all. The building itself has grown on me a bit, but the way it is situated on the lot makes it nearly impossible to create any kind of coherent public square. I think the only way we are ever going to truly make this a successful public square/Bostons front yard is to redo the whole thing. If we do we might as well do it the way they had intended from the start and create a european style public plaza.

A new federal style city hall building replacing the jfk building in blue. It would fit directly into the same footprint and face the street.
View attachment 37889
Something like this below facing a new pedestrianized street in green where you could have food trucks and then retail on the left side at the backside of the city plaza buildings in red.

The red part would be low rise brick buildings that enclose a public plaza on 3 sides and the 4th side would utilize the existing mid rise buildings at the edge of the current city hall.
View attachment 37890
The buildings encompassing the red part that make up the 3 sides of the square that butt up against the above part would be something like this.
brick-building-former-hotel-zakopane-poland-july-there-large-visible-inscription-morskie-oko-dating-168157819.jpg

If we did something like that Boston would finally have the european style plaza that had always been intended from the start but never accomplished.
Love this notion. I was thinking Vieux Quebec but this works swimmingly too!

^ Great idea.

View attachment 37889

View attachment 37890

This just makes me sad. The plaza is what it is because the city makes money leasing that open space in the middle. If that wasn't a requirement of the design it could have been a lot more interesting.

I agree that the spatial arrangements could be better but why go backwards in architecture? Sure Boston has a wonderful architectural history that includes lots of Federal style buildings. And we should celebrate those. One of the things that is so amazing about City Hall is that it was forward looking--new ideas about how government should function. It's been hampered by bad maintenance and changes in security but the bones of the idea are really strong. I'd love to see the city councilors' parking along Congress Street get relocated to the other City Hall garage and that space be opened up to the street. It could make some functions more public or could be a new function like a Museum of Boston (not my idea, others have suggested it). Get rid of the auto turn around and make that space relate to Faneuil Hall Marketplace across the street. Reopen the center courtyard (you can get there from inside the building now).

And, on top of everything else, all that concrete is so difficult to get rid of that it probably will never happen. Look at how hard the Gov't Center garage is to get rid of and a lot of that is stick built not poured in place.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not building on City Hall Plaza would be difficult because of the subway tunnels underneath? I've never heard that cited as an excuse for why it's not redeveloped. Just curious.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not building on City Hall Plaza would be difficult because of the subway tunnels underneath? I've never heard that cited as an excuse for why it's not redeveloped. Just curious.
It could be with the current elevation, but it is a huge area and I'm guessing it would be easy enough to add a layer of steel beam reinforcement spanning the top of the tunnels (and raising the surrounding plaza areas accordingly) to allow construction of streets and buildings. Hanover Street used to run right over the western leg of the GL tunnel, and City Hall itself sits on top of the eastern leg of the GL tunnel.
Bottom line, IMO it's doable.

Because the past 70 years have demonstrated that forwards in architecture is usually an awful direction to go, particularly for civic buildings?

Yea thats how I feel too. Searching around for examples of modern city halls leaves a lot to be desired. Its just bad low rise office building after bad low rise office building. Essentially the 21st century version of exactly what we got in the 50’s.

This can probably move threads, but personally, if I were the city, once the plaza has returned some of its recent expenditure, I'd:
  • Purchase back the Old City Hall, as Equilibria has suggested, and move City Council and Mayor offices there
  • Develop a new site plan, partnering with GSA (or whoever manages JFK building(s), MBTA (if the government center headhouse has to go, it has to go), Suffolk County Superior Court/John Adams Courthouse, and Center Plaza owner, to create a comprehensive public space with pocket plazas, a larger central enclosed plaza similar to Stick's plan, some pocket green spaces, and a pedestrian-only road or two with plenty of space for entertainment and outdoor dining. Above the ground floors, include office spaces for City of Boston, feds, and market office space, along with plenty of residential. Have a statement tower between City Hall and One Congress.
    • Dream Partner Development Team: WS Development for mixed-use/office portions, Samuel & Associates for residential & public-private spaces
    • Dream Consultant Team: Reed Hilderband, Utile for Urban Design/Landscape, and a very healthy mix of local and international Architecture firms for the Architecture
  • Partner with local groups for an Art, Architecture, and Cultural component to occupy the existing City Hall, perhaps joining forces with a handful of established institutions. I'm sure, in addition to the obvious Architecture schools, you could get some unique partnerships, like EF/Hult International Business, etc. Perhaps also still keep some civic functions on site, likely on the ground/lower floor(s), and have some of that program activate the building's edges with the new plaza space
  • Wait 100 years for the debt this would incur to be paid off

Part of the problem is modern security requirements for government buildings like city halls. Having a city hall nestled closely with other buildings is considered a liability now.

Agreed. Dr. Rosen, I assure you, the (totally representative) photos are not helping your case.

Yeah, but here’s the thing - I’m not hearing much counter argument to anything I wrote or even documented with photo evidence . So like… ?

Again, I’ll further challenge you to personally say how much you actually use the space and a frequent basis. Or do you just draw colored pictures on top of photos? Or just reminiscence about the good old days? Boom.

Yeah, but here’s the thing - I’m not hearing much counter argument to anything I wrote or even documented with photo evidence . So like… ?

Again, I’ll further challenge you to personally say how much you actually use the space and a frequent basis. Or do you just draw colored pictures on top of photos? Or just reminiscence about the good old days? Boom.

I agree with you that the improvements make Government Center better, but I still think GC is pretty terrible. The photos you posted show people passing through the space, which you would expect because it takes up a lot of real estate and connects to a lot of high traffic areas (Faneuil Hall, government buildings, MBTA stations, etc.), but they don't show a lot of people really engaging with the space like they do at the Greenway, or in the Public Garden, or on the Harborwalk, or even at the Chinatown parts of the Greenway (which we call parks, but are mostly hardscape areas like GC). I still don't think GC is a place most people want to hang out in by choice.

And yes, for me part of it is that they demo'ed a neighborhood to build GC. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love Boston's dense network of irregular streets in places like the North End or the Financial District. I like the crowded mix of old and new buildings and the viewsheds those streets produce. I'm sure I would have liked the West End and Scollay Square as well. But putting that aside, I still think GC is pretty terrible. Yes, I'm sure if we build a playground, or host pop-up markets/bars at GC, people will visit those places the same way that huge crowds enjoy the Cisco brewery located at the objectively depressing Seaport surface parking lots. But shouldn't we aim higher for GC?

I agree with you that the improvements make Government Center better, but I still think GC is pretty terrible. The photos you posted show people passing through the space, which you would expect because it takes up a lot of real estate and connects to a lot of high traffic areas (Faneuil Hall, government buildings, MBTA stations, etc.), but they don't show a lot of people really engaging with the space like they do at the Greenway, or in the Public Garden, or on the Harborwalk, or even at the Chinatown parts of the Greenway (which we call parks, but are mostly hardscape areas like GC). I still don't think GC is a place most people want to hang out in by choice.

And yes, for me part of it is that they demo'ed a neighborhood to build GC. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love Boston's dense network of irregular streets in places like the North End or the Financial District. I like the crowded mix of old and new buildings and the viewsheds those streets produce. I'm sure I would have liked the West End and Scollay Square as well. But putting that aside, I still think GC is pretty terrible. Yes, I'm sure if we build a playground, or host pop-up markets/bars at GC, people will visit those places the same way that huge crowds enjoy the Cisco brewery located at the objectively depressing Seaport surface parking lots. But shouldn't we aim higher for GC?

I hear your points. I’m actually trying to argue that it’s the open space that is indeed the asset. People do pass through, but in my experience it’s a pleasurable pass through because it’s open and presents so many amazing views of the city. You won’t get that if you fill it up with more buildings.

Also, whenever I visit there (1-2 times/week) there’s plenty of visitors actually going to city hall (like workers, tax payers, tour groups, and tourists taking pictures of themselves). I also see many people hanging out enjoying the warmed brick. I’ve done that too! There’s few shadows cast unto plaza, so it’s easy to enjoy all the light.

I’ll aim to get pictures of more people engaging in the space as you mentioned…

Nobody is providing counterarguments because is unnecessary to respond to the pictures you've posted via argument - to everyone else in this thread, the photos self-evidently argue against your points.

You have uploaded snapshots that we all recognize because we've all been there - to a desolate, windswept expanse of salt-worn brick, perhaps with 3 people walking through at any given time as they cross from one side diagonally to the other, or a lone city employee taking a smoke breach on a backless stone slab. These are not showing dynamic and enthusiastic engagement from a city of over half a million people,

^ Great idea.

View attachment 37889

All great City Hall Plaza musings converge into this:

Your developable area is intriguingly compatible with Aaron Helfand's Master's Thesis:
View attachment 8671

Back