City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

Sorry, no good news allowed in the cursed wasteland of City Hall Plaza:
View attachment 41656
(Photo care of an online Boston neighborhood community group I'm a part of)

Actually, come to think of it, this could really improve the hilarity. It slices, it dices!

lame. it gives me no pleasure to have correctly called this last winter.

keep everything roped off, no slippery or unsanitized surfaces, no jagged points, nothing unsupervised -- fun times in the U.S.A.

it really is staggering (and disappointing) how much less hand-holding and rule-administration/enforcement goes on in most other first-world countries.

yes, high things are up high and if you fall, it will hurt. wild animals are wild, so don't be stupid. water is slick, and if there's enough of it you could maybe drown. concrete and metal are not cushion-y surfaces and you could hurt yourself.

and, yes, - if you go down a steep, tall slide it may be a little fast. if you're afraid of speed or are a fat oaf, maybe don't go on the slide

Last edited:
Sorry, no good news allowed in the cursed wasteland of City Hall Plaza:
View attachment 41656
(Photo care of an online Boston neighborhood community group I'm a part of)

Actually, come to think of it, this could really improve the hilarity. It slices, it dices!
As I reluctantly expected. Boston builds with expensive architectural designs. Boston fears lawsuits. Boston sucks the joy out of expensive projects with metal barriers or just neglect. I wish I weren't so cynical after seeing so much money wasted in the past 6 decades, and so many hopes dashed.

Honestly I think we're all being a bit overly dramatic here. The most likely scenario is that they will re-open the slide with enhanced safety features, physical/design changes, and/or posted rules. It is not uncommon for playgrounds to be updated in the months after opening with such enhancements.

The issue is not the design of the slide rather the angle of the descent. That is the design failure here. Raise it up a foot or 2 and this would not have been an issue.

The issue is not the design of the slide rather the angle of the descent. That is the design failure here. Raise it up a foot or 2 and this would not have been an issue.

Yes; this is the type of adjustment I was referring to. As a dad / involuntary playground aficionado, I have observed numerous "adjustments" made to playground equipment post-installation.

Jesus, everyone take a deep breath. It's not closed. It's just blocked off at night to keep drunken 20-somethings from barreling down it.

Technically, the barricade shown doesn't prevent anyone from barreling down it. It just brings them to a very abrupt stop.

In any case, it's not the most inspiring defense of the situation to say "this children's play structure isn't closed, it just has to be periodically barricaded to stop people from using it and getting hurt on it." They're not exactly putting iron bars through most merry-go-rounds after 5pm in case teens get hurt by centrifugation.

Can we get someone to walk by the slide both during the day and at 2am to see if/when it's open. That's the only way we'll settle this.

Yes; this is the type of adjustment I was referring to. As a dad / involuntary playground aficionado, I have observed numerous "adjustments" made to playground equipment post-installation.

As a former downtown dad, I'm also a bit of a playground aficionado. My general observation is that many of them are built for extremely small children, and that it's much harder to find something with the level of "excitement" that my kid wanted once he got past first or second grade. We "graduated" from the Esplanade playground closer to Mass Ave (bonus there was running into Giselle and the kids a couple times) to the one closer to the Hatch Shell. That one checked the boxes of fun & danger. I'm sure mini-me would have loved the new slide at Government Center.

Regarding adjustments, pretty much any piece of equipment can be dangerous. Consider the photo below. While I've seen injuries resulting from use of 3 of 4 of those pieces of equipment, you might be surprised at which caused the most gruesome one. Here's a catalog of what I've seen:

Sit Down Spinner (left)
Multiple ways to fall off, including head injury from trying to kneel/stand while spinning and falling and striking the wall behind it. Also, lots of legs hanging over the side and striking a nearby child, especially heads of younger ones that wander too close.

Climbing Structure (rear)
Falls galore here. Due to the rope åwork, reaching the ground in a fall was generally only possible after the fall being mostly arrested. Lots of wrenched limbs, ropeburn, and a bloody nose or two though.

Stand Up Spinner (right)
I don't recall seeing anyone being injured by this, but it was also the least popular option for all but the youngest children.

Swing (foreground)
This one is the grand-prize winner for injuries. There's the obvious circumstance of a kid running in front and getting a headshot from the swing itself, but worst injury was caused when a child was being aggressively pushed by friends while gripping one of the support ropes. Somehow the swing flipped, causing the ropes to twist, resulting in an audible snap and a full break of both forearm bones of a child.

One will note that nearly all of these are easily preventable through parental supervision, but as all parents know, parenting is a balance of letting kids learn life lessons and avoiding permanent or severe harm.

Espanade+20.jpg
åç

As a former downtown dad, I'm also a bit of a playground aficionado. My general observation is that many of them are built for extremely small children, and that it's much harder to find something with the level of "excitement" that my kid wanted once he got past first or second grade. We "graduated" from the Esplanade playground closer to Mass Ave (bonus there was running into Giselle and the kids a couple times) to the one closer to the Hatch Shell. That one checked the boxes of fun & danger. I'm sure mini-me would have loved the new slide at Government Center.

Regarding adjustments, pretty much any piece of equipment can be dangerous. Consider the photo below. While I've seen injuries resulting from use of 3 of 4 of those pieces of equipment, you might be surprised at which caused the most gruesome one. Here's a catalog of what I've seen:

Sit Down Spinner (left)
Multiple ways to fall off, including head injury from trying to kneel/stand while spinning and falling and striking the wall behind it. Also, lots of legs hanging over the side and striking a nearby child, especially heads of younger ones that wander too close.

Climbing Structure (rear)
Falls galore here. Due to the rope åwork, reaching the ground in a fall was generally only possible after the fall being mostly arrested. Lots of wrenched limbs, ropeburn, and a bloody nose or two though.

Stand Up Spinner (right)
I don't recall seeing anyone being injured by this, but it was also the least popular option for all but the youngest children.

Swing (foreground)
This one is the grand-prize winner for injuries. There's the obvious circumstance of a kid running in front and getting a headshot from the swing itself, but worst injury was caused when a child was being aggressively pushed by friends while gripping one of the support ropes. Somehow the swing flipped, causing the ropes to twist, resulting in an audible snap and a full break of both forearm bones of a child.

One will note that nearly all of these are easily preventable through parental supervision, but as all parents know, parenting is a balance of letting kids learn life lessons and avoiding permanent or severe harm.

Espanade+20.jpg
åç
I have three grandkids (ages 8. 6, and 1), and I take them to playgrounds quite a bit. Kids will get hurt once in a while, and it's part of being a kid. The parent/grandparent/guardian just needs to keep an eye on them while they are playing, and physically help them navigate through the equipment as needed. Are there safety improvements that could be made? Sure, and I've noticed some areas for improvement myself in the equipment. But I hope we never get to the point in this lawsuit obsessed culture that playgrounds don't exist.

.....but as all parents know, parenting is a balance of letting kids learn life lessons and avoiding permanent or severe harm.

Good post and it makes me think of the speech I gave my kids no less than half a dozen times the other day on one of nature's playgrounds:
"The rocks don't care that you're 7. The rocks don't care that you're cute. The rocks don't care that mommy loves you. Make sure you are paying attention every step of the way!"

1692222654370.png

While short, the Wapack Trail on Pack Monadnock is quite aggressive and lives up to the namesake of the larger Mount Monadnock to its West. No falls this time through! After proving their skills, maybe I'll even let them try the slide at Government Center. ;)

Good post and it makes me think of the speech I gave my kids no less than half a dozen times the other day on one of nature's playgrounds:
"The rocks don't care that you're 7. The rocks don't care that you're cute. The rocks don't care that mommy loves you. Make sure you are paying attention every step of the way!"

View attachment 41750
While short, the Wapack Trail on Pack Monadnock is quite aggressive and lives up to the namesake of the larger Mount Monadnock to its West. No falls this time through! After proving their skills, maybe I'll even let them try the slide at Government Center. ;)
When I was a kid I went to summer camp near Mount Monadnock , and one day a group of us, including a blind boy, hiked up the mountain. We just had to help guide the blind person, and it was great.

View attachment 41750

Sorry to sidetrack, but my daughter's 20 months old now. I can't wait til she's a bit older and I can take her hiking like this!

Back