City Hall Plaza Revamp | Government Center

It’s still an agoraphobes nightmare.
That reminds me of someone a long ago here on AB who had a signature that said something like: "Say it once more with feeling: small blocks, small streets, high density" or something along those lines, which I agree with 100%. I love the open spaces when they're not a gigantic hole carved out of the heart of the city. One of my favorite places on earth is the flat tundra of southwest Alaska where you can see for seemingly hundreds of miles with the towering mountains in the far distance. So an agoraphobe I am not. I just want a city that looks like a city.

Never said anything about a decrease in the product at all.

Was referring to your words: " Based on the substantial growth in rates,......". So LifeCoachMike's point is one I agree with. This revenue stream isn't the deep pockets of PO Square's. Here, I don't see those 'substantial growth rates' in the prices over a quarter century that you talk about making it it anywhere close to more feasible to funnel profits to the long-term operations. Perhaps there are other sources of funding, but not from the flat inflation adjusted price hike.

The was no REAL growth in those price rates. In real terms they are level. And it doesn't matter what its grosses. What is the net? What has happened to the cost of liability insurance? Health insurance for the attendants, etc.?

OK, now I see what you're driving at--I appreciate the clarification and your argument makes sense. Yes, at the end of the day, it's the net that matters, and costs of labor & materials are of course ever-spiraling. Also, I'm assuming that the garage is structured as a tax-exempt entity because it is the subsidizer of the park above--if it's not, then perhaps a very different perspective is needed here...

I've been checking out the construction cam every once in a while. Nobody mentioned it swivels every ten minutes!! I happened to catch it at the right moment and see things are progressing along. Should be ready for the planting of the small forest by springtime! I do like the layout; raised podium at Cambridge Street and the ramp down to Congress Street will be a great promenade. I'm glad the Greenline tunnel was reinforced. It sucks to pour millions of dollars underground where no one sees it, but I believe Boston would be in the headlines some day if it was not addressed. The headline something along the lines of -"The winter festival that fell into the tunnel!" I think Boston is avoiding a potential disaster... which is good. Thanks for the link by the way- construction cam

It's time for everyone's favorite game: "INFRASTRUCTURE OR MODERN ART???"

Or its close cousin: Modern Art or Septic Tank?

product-septicsystems-1020p.jpg

https://www.tanks-a-lot.com/

Last edited:
Man that's a huge crane... that's approximately where the children's playground will be, and fairly certain the civic building is already built out... there must be some pretty decent tunnel work still ongoing

Man that's a huge crane... that's approximately where the children's playground will be, and fairly certain the civic building is already built out... there must be some pretty decent tunnel work still ongoing

It's starting to feel like this project is as much about building a new city hall plaza public space as this project was about building a new national park for recreation purposes...

Wow, there's more miscellaneous crap laying all around everywhere than there was on the Big Dig Central Artery megaproject in the 1990s.

Back