Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a lot of money available to be given away by the government. My question is: why isn't it going to people like MassHort so they can build their garden under glass? I know there's probably some explanation why MassHort couldn't possibly get public benefits....but $50 million would pay for half of the entire project! The YMCA, Boston Museum Proj., and New Center could also benefit greatly from such massive public funds.

^ I'm not too thrilled about $21M in public money for the Columbus Center, but if it's giving $42M in public amenities and will generate millions in tax revenue, well that's something that the YMCA, etc isn't doing. That's not to say that the public wouldn't get more bang for the buck funding those groups than the CC. I really have no idea how to answer that question.

Are you serious?!? I biked by there last two nights ago and I didn't see a crane...

Picture, picture anybody?! This is gonna get exciting. When is The Clarendon going up? It will look awesome with two towers going up at the same time right next to each other.

I'm looking at the correct site, right? It's right by Mistral restaurant and Hard Rock Cafe. Am I wrong?

It's a small crane and they've suctioned off a large part of the area before the freeway.

callahan said:
I'm looking at the correct site, right? It's right by Mistral restaurant and Hard Rock Cafe. The crane and activity I saw was at the freeway directly across from Stanhope Street Am I wrong?

It's a small crane and they've suctioned off a large part of the area before the freeway.

callahan said:
I'm looking at the correct site, right? It's right by Mistral restaurant and Hard Rock Cafe. Am I wrong?

Actually, is that the site for The Clarendon?

We've had a few false alarms with that childrens park, I hope that's not what this is. We need pics! 8)

Well the site that they have sectioned off is right next to the open air space by the Turnpike. If you were to walk out the door of Bertucci's restaurant and walk straight up to the freeway that is where the site is.

I walked by there an hour ago, and although I didn't see any cranes, the triangular parking lot at the intersection of Berkeley and Columbus Ave has a sign up saying it is to be used solely for "Columbus Center Project" 24 hrs a day. The sign also listed J.F. White Contracting and their address, and there was a New Hampshire Boring medium-duty truck parked in the lot, though there were no workers to be seen.

So it looks like things ARE getting going, even if this alleged crane remains somewhat elusive at the moment.

If we're talking about the same site, and I think we are, there were a few guys in hardhats there this morning. There was also a small crane parked on the side that is right neat Mistral. Also, as I said, there is a section fenced off. In any case, there's action in the area.

castevens said:
Someone here on the old forum had the interesting suggestion that the second tower may have been a bargaining scheme- the developer proposed two, hoping for one

I wouldn't put it past them at all. Anything and everything will be shrunken down, so go for more than you actually want

Thinking about it, this project is one of the many (maybe the best as well)examples of something being proposed and being shot down to the point where the original plans/proposal are not even close to what the actual final plans/product will be.

If the thinking was "propose two buildings, they'll shoot it down and we'll get one" then they are geniuses. I think if it's come to that, it's a sad editorial on how bad Boston is for developers. If you want to build two identical 600-foot towers, propose four 1,000 footers. It's funny and sad at the same time.

Walked by the site again today. First, nothing was going on with the Clarendon - the lot was still full of cars.

With CC, at the triangular parking lot, the boring truck's bore was down and extended into the ground, probably testing the soil conditions(?). The cylinder was only about 16" in diameter, and it didn't look like it had been driven down too far. A backhoe has also appeared on site.

Still no crane to be seen anywhere.

cranes won't be up for a while - looking at a development like the mandarin it was a solid 6 months before one went up.

Concerning the Mandarin, it was really more like a year from the time they started dismantling the old ring road setup.

I guess the alleged crane vanished..

bosdevelopment said:
cranes won't be up for a while - looking at a development like the mandarin it was a solid 6 months before one went up.

The mandarin has an underground parking garage and the excavation is a slow process. Also slowing them down is the need to tie back the slurry walls as they excavate.

The columbus center will have it's own set of issues but they have little to no excavation. The foundation system has to be either piles or caissons due to the limited space. With the foundations installed they will then deck over the turnpike and then we are in to the vertical construction phase.

I walk by there every day. I talked to somebody who is working on the sit of The Columbus Center. They currently have a section by the Mass Pike fenced off and have done what looks like some leveling of the ground. They also have put some spikes in the ground, although I have no idea for what. The guy I talked to said that they are currently trying to secure the buildings immediately surrounding the area. Because there are historic buildings they need to make sure they won't be damaged by the construction in the area.

In any case, the other day I saw, from a distance, something that resembled a small crane. But, it was not there when I was last at the site. But there is work being done.

status

From this weeks South End News:

The city, John Hancock Financial Services and Columbus Center developers, CassinWinn Development, have reached an agreement over a small plot of land that, for years, made life complicated for the Columbus Center development team. The agreement paves the way for the construction of Frieda Garcia Park on that plot. It?s named after the South End community activist who served as President of the United South End Settlements for 20 years. The agreement also commits CassinWinn to starting construction on the Columbus Center this year.

http://www.southendnews.com/ME2/Aud...91&tier=4&id=80699828C2F54D479252FB585E3E4B99

Ha! Yes, and that small park is, I believe, where they have cleared the land and fenced it off. They are doing some work in the area.

Thanks for posting that article.....Seeeee, I'm not crazy! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back