Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

Ned, I don't really keep really up-to-date on your rantings on Columbus Center or otherwise-I just know you're a stickler for bureaucracy and rules with very little flexibility. If what KentXie says is right, about you complaining the Pru towers would "illegally eliminate public space," I wonder what you think about public space. Regardless of the robbery of public space, do you wonder whether or not the project would actually help the area economically and socially? I'm in the middle of the chapter about parks and open spaces in The Death and Life of Great American Cities, and according to it, the plaza in front of Copley is a treachery to the city.

I would love to know what Beal knows right at this moment... the suspense is killing us all.

What I DO know is that this project cannot be financed today. In a few months, maybe... in a year or so... yeah, probably.

So Beal slowly waits it out, letting the assorted NIMBYS and craptivists twist in the wind. Very smart.

Ned, 14,000 pages of Public Records? You read that much? Really?

Even in winning, the NIMBY has lost.

Ned clearly spends so much time on this issue it's no wonder he hasn't noticed how ugly the gaping hole of an expressway running next to his house is.

I don't follow this thread much, since nothing new really happens and I don't want to be subjected to reading Ned's propaganda. However, what I'd like to know is if Ned has ever outlined what would be an acceptable situation for something to be built here. It just seems like no matter what is proposed Ned and his cronies will find something, anything wrong with it just so nothing happens.

He's a NIMBY, hence nothing will satisfy him. If everything was met to his current demands, he would complain how the construction will cause noise pollution and ask the CC developers to address that.

(W)hat I'd like to know is if Ned has ever outlined what would be an acceptable situation for something to be built here.

Once upon a time, I asked that very question.

Ned's reply was less than satisfying.

So I tried a more nuanced question (I actually really want to know what "success" at this site would actually look like).

Ideology recited by rote does not an answer make.

And I, of course, become a bit frustrated.

At least I have Ned's sympathies.

Thanks buddy!

For Seamus McFly, DarkFenX, KentXie, Kennedy, Patriots_1228, Jimbo Jones, JohnAKeith, CZSZ, and BostonSkyGuy . . .

. . . anything more than 3 months in a community review process is excessive.

. . . The approval process itself is already flawed in that it requires a large amount of public meetings that are not always necessary and are often drawn out.

So, Seamus, you are certain of how much time is not needed, and you, DarkFenX/KentXie, think some meetings may not be needed, and some may be too long.

Well, it?s unfortunate that neither of you read the agreements between the Columbus Center owners and the mayor?s development staff, who sold to those owners all control over the public process, including the schedule._ The Columbus Center community review schedule was set, revised, and controlled by the project owners.

It?s equally unfortunate that neither of you attended the public meetings, and neither of you read the printed proposals._ If you had, you?d remember that the owners originally proposed to control land that they never controlled, and which could never become available to them. _ That gaffe then led to:_ a legal fight, a political fight, a project re-design, new environmental forms, new proposals, and additional public meetings.

It was the owners who forced themselves into multiple proposals, and who further extended their own public process schedule._ Your complaints about the quantity, duration, necessity, scheduling, and/or content of the public meetings have to be directed at the project owners._ It is they who caused the conditions of which you complain.

. . . I?m glad you memorized them all.

I did not memorize the 15,000+ pages of public records._ I never said that I did._ What I said is that I do have them, and that I did read them._ I urged every forum member to do the same, so that postings here would start with common, verifiable facts._ No one wanted to do that.

That is why so many forum messages start out, ?I imagine?, ?I heard?, ?I believe?, ?someone told me?, ?probably?, ?it seems?, ?other projects usually?, etcetera._ All that guessing forces the thread into more arguments over what the basic facts might be, and fewer discussions about what the substantive issues really are.

. . . I wonder what you think about public space.

Public open space is a Turnpike Master Plan requirement._ The developers violated the requirement by deleting the public space and inserting a 633-car garage in its place._ On this issue, the Mayor?s Citizens Advisory Committee voted based on who owned the seat in which each member sat:_ members sitting in the 7 seats owned by the developer voted to violate the Master Plan, and members sitting in the 4 seats democratically nominated by the communities voted not to violate.

. . . Regardless of the robbery of public space, do you wonder whether or not the project would actually help the area economically and socially?

Your question about ?help the area economically/socially? is too simplistic and undefined to be of any use.

Firstly, the robbery of public space can not be simply dismissed._ Why?_ Because public space is a Master Plan requirement._ Once lost, it can never be replaced._ Robbery is robbery.

Secondly, the project was proposed ? and approved ? as subsidy-free, after which the owners attempted to obtain 19 subsidies totaling $605 million._ Except for people who are on ? or who hope to be on ? the development industry gravy train, no citizen has ever advocated for taxpayers to bail out this private developer by paying his costs and profits so that he doesn?t have to.

Thirdly, California?s managers testified to City Councilors on 10 May 2006 that they had designed the transportation corridor to be inside airtight, sealed tunnels so as to cleanse the community of noise, dirt, fumes, etcetera._ In fact, since 2003, their approved proposal has shown that not only were no airtight tunnels ever proposed, approved or imposed anywhere in the project, but there are multiple open-air cavity vents and multiple mechanized exhaust vents for moving all corridor air pollution from the tunnels into the homes and offices within the project and the surrounding community.

In summary:_ deleted public space, fraudulent subsidy costs billed to the public, and broken promises for airtight tunnels do not constitute ?area-wide economic/social help.?

. . . 14,000 pages of Public Records? You read that much? Really?

No._ I read 15,000+ pages, not 14,000._ Over 14 years, that averages about 3 pages per day, so it?s not as hard to do as you?re worrying it might be.

Help is on the way.

Newspapers report that Jimbo Jones a.k.a. JohnAKeith is running for election as the state representative for the 3rd Suffolk district._ If that?s your idea of ?help on the way? then please explain exactly why electing you could help an $850 million proposal for which . . .

? investor-owners have withdrawn or denied all funding;
? government agencies have withdrawn or denied all funding;
? no banker ever loaned even one dollar;
? the project doesn?t meet commercial lending criteria; and
? the owners never finished the 6-week Financial Viability Study that they started last August.

And if the help you?re predicting is other than your own election, then please itemize what that help is, when it started or will start, and how it will resolve the above conditions.

. . . Ned . . . hasn?t noticed how ugly the gaping hole of an expressway running next to his house is.

Untrue._ I noticed the many unattractive characteristics of the corridor back in the late 1980s, and since 1993 have advocated to correct them._ However, success in the built environment requires that many conditions be met; visual improvement is only one criterion among many.

You and others here often throw the false ?either/or? choice of ?Columbus-Center-or-nothing? on the table, and insist that everyone must select one of the two._ But that dichotomy is binary thinking at its very simplest, and its very worst._ No one has to accept it, and no one does.

Even after ignoring all the options that are absurd or impossible, and even after eliminating more ideas through developer screening, competitive bidding, Master Plan compliance, and full financial disclosure, many options remain available._ Instead of thinking ?Columbus-Center-or-nothing-at-all? it helps to think ?Columbus-Center-or-anything-else?.

. . . what would be . . . acceptable . . . to be built here . . .

I endorse anything that fits what the Back Bay and South End communities have always stipulated:

? a screened developer,
? with the experience and ability to succeed,
? selected from among competitive bids,
? that comply with the Turnpike Master Plan,
? providing full financial disclosure, and
? mitigating the toxic air so that no one living or working along the corridor suffers increased public health risks.

But re-proposals from the former owner (Winn) failed all 6 of these criteria.

And re-proposals from the current owner (California) also failed all 6 of these criteria.

A re-proposal from the potential future owner (Beal/Related) was begun last August._ That buyer missed the 1st deadline in October, then missed the 2nd deadline in November, then missed the 3rd deadline in December, and then missed the 4th deadline in April._ But it does not matter if or when that re-proposal arrives, because Beal/Related have already confirmed that they will not allow:_ developer screening; competitive bidding; Master Plan compliance; public audits of costs, revenue, subsidies and profits; or toxic air mitigation.

So, the past, present, and future owners of the Columbus Center company have not met ? and do not intend to meet ? the requirements outlined over the last 17 years by the Back Bay and South End communities.

With the gap between community requirements and developer intentions as wide as the interstate railway/roadway corridor itself, it?s no surprise that investors halted funding in September 2007, Governor Patrick halted funding in March 2008, and no bank ever loaned a single dollar.

Sure, put the blame solely on the developers and never on oneself. It is easier to always put the blames on the other isn't it? You're in denial if you say that the community does not have any fault in this. I can recognize that the developers have made mistakes. Yeah the bribery, the lack of funding is a problem (they are not required to install air scrubbing vents). But you can't see that the CC developers had to extend their public meetings because the community is never content at all.

Your question about “help the area economically/socially” is too simplistic and undefined to be of any use.

Firstly, the robbery of public space can not be simply dismissed._ Why?_ Because public space is a Master Plan requirement._ Once lost, it can never be replaced._ Robbery is robbery.

Secondly, the project was proposed — and approved — as subsidy-free, after which the owners attempted to obtain 19 subsidies totaling $605 million._ Except for people who are on — or who hope to be on — the development industry gravy train, no citizen has ever advocated for taxpayers to bail out this private developer by paying his costs and profits so that he doesn’t have to.

Thirdly, California’s managers testified to City Councilors on 10 May 2006 that they had designed the transportation corridor to be inside airtight, sealed tunnels so as to cleanse the community of noise, dirt, fumes, etcetera._ In fact, since 2003, their approved proposal has shown that not only were no airtight tunnels ever proposed, approved or imposed anywhere in the project, but there are multiple open-air cavity vents and multiple mechanized exhaust vents for moving all corridor air pollution from the tunnels into the homes and offices within the project and the surrounding community.

In summary:_ deleted public space, fraudulent subsidy costs billed to the public, and broken promises for airtight tunnels do not constitute “area-wide economic/social help.”

Yes, to mitigate the not-large-enough gain of parkland approved in Columbus Center, we should also demolish Ned Flaherty's house for a park! What a wonderful idea. In fact, let's convert the entire city to parkland, then we wouldn't have to worry about this trifling problem at all! Only those plebian rabble who actually need a job would complain; we Flahertys can live off our inheritance and reduce the performance of the economy for those who live off it by bitching about and blocking everything for centuries! Pfff, it's never going to affect me, eh?

The greatest unintended consequence of John Keith running for office will be Ned's desire to write non-stop crackpot letters to the editor about archboston.com, there by driving more people to the site so that they can see first hand what his delusional NIMBY arguments sound like.

That's my prognostication at least.

my_hair_is_a_bird-257x300.jpg

Lovely. Glad I can help!

If you should want to return the favor, you can always click through to my website and make an online donation to my campaign. Election is June 16, mark your calendar.

I'll be at the archBoston forum coffee talk on April 15.

We are opening office space next week, too, on Tremont St.

I endorse anything that fits what the Back Bay and South End communities have always stipulated:

? a screened developer,
? with the experience and ability to succeed,
? selected from among competitive bids,
? that comply with the Turnpike Master Plan,
? providing full financial disclosure, and
? mitigating the toxic air so that no one living or working along the corridor suffers increased public health risks.

Ned: while I do respect your right to have the opinion you do because you do live in the neighborhood where this project is being built, I think some these are unrealistic and you're not being genuine when you present what you think would be suitable.

The screened developer with experience and competitive bidding I have no problem with. I'm not 100% familiar the Master Plan so I'm not going to comment on what would or wouldn't comply. Your last two points are where I think you're being misleading in how you're approaching this.

IF and when a developer comes in and provides full financial disclosure, I don't think you're going to take that as concrete. You're going to want to know how much cash flow he has, that isn't tied up in stocks, businesses, etc. It's not going to be enough for the developer to have a high net worth or be able to gather the funds needed, you're going to demand more than what is fair for a developer.

As for "mitigating the toxic air so that no one living or working along the corridor suffers increased public health risks." This is very vague. If this building increases car traffic from say (for examples sake) 1,000 cars to 1,010 cars--you're going to claim that the pollutants from the extra cars is unhealthy, toxic air and the result is increased public health risks.

I honestly don't believe that you or anyone else in the neighborhood group opposed to this building, will ever be satisfied with a plan or developer for this parcel of land. I think a lot of other people believe the same thing. I wouldn't have half as much problem with some of the things you say if you'd at least admit that much.

Ned, if you want clean air, get out of the city and move to Nova Scotia. Anyone whose living next to a major highway like the Mass Pike should expect some more air pollution/health risks.

. . . the CC developers had to extend their public meetings because the community is never content at all.

No. That?s untrue.

Firstly, DarkFenX / KentXie, had you reviewed the public records of the community meetings, you would know that there is no relationship between community satisfaction and the number of Columbus Center meetings, because Mayor Menino?s development staff gave control of the quantity, frequency, and timing of all public meetings to the developers.

The developers held whatever meetings they wanted held, and canceled the meetings they didn?t want held, including meetings that the City had previously promised would be held, and meetings for which the City?s consultants had been paid in full._

The developers ended all public meetings after the public learned that:
(a) most seats on the Mayor?s Citizens Advisory Committee were owned by the developer;
(b) several years of public hearings were secretly recorded by the developer;
(c) the developer told the City consultants to halt their consulting services; and
(d) the City consultants were paid, in full, by the developer.

It is true that communities do not approve projects that are based on bribery, fraud, master plan violations, and public health risks._ But anyone who blames the failures of such projects upon a community, as you do, completely misunderstands the public process in a democratic society._ The failures of such projects are never any community?s fault; rather, they are the fault of developers who ignore the pre-set requirements:_ no bribery, no fraud, no master plan violations, and no public health risks._

Any developer that ignores those requirements should expect to fail.

Having ignored those requirements, the CalPERS-MURC-CUIP team should not be surprised that they have failed.

. . . If and when a developer comes in and provides full financial disclosure, I don't think you're going to take that as concrete. . .

That?s untrue._ On the topic of financial disclosure, all that any citizen ever asked for was an independent public audit of all costs, revenues, profits, and subsidies per the Commonwealth?s GAGAS (Generally Accepted Government Accounting Standards).

. . . You're going to want to know how much cash flow he has, that isn't tied up in stocks, businesses, etc. . .

That?s also untrue._ ?Cash flow not tied up in stocks, business? isn?t a public review topic._ I never asked for that._ There?s no record of anyone else ever asking for it._ You?re thinking of some other topic, or some other project._ If you still think the community has demanded cash flow analysis, then you misunderstand what cash flow is.

. . . It's not going to be enough for the developer to have a high net worth or be able to gather the funds needed you're going to demand more than what is fair for a developer.

That?s also untrue.

Net worth._ Firstly, regarding net worth, the critics of this proposal never argued for any net worth requirements._ The sole net worth requirement was set entirely by the state, and only after the CalPERS-MURC-CUIP team had proved that it was unreliable.

Full funding._ Secondly, having the funds necessary to complete the project is both a city and a state requirement._ Critics of this proposal mention this requirement because it?s now known that the CalPERS-MURC-CUIP team never had all the needed funds._ Specifically:_ the CalPERS-MURC owner-investors cut off funding in September 2007, the Massachusetts subsidies were rescinded in March 2008, and no bank ever loaned even one dollar to this venture.

Fairness._ Thirdly, it is never unfair for the public to require a project that was proposed and approved as subsidy-free to then remain subsidy-free._ Also, it is never unfair for government to rescind subsidy applications that are fraudulently prepared, especially when the fraudulent applications are submitted under the pains and penalties of perjury.

. . . As for "mitigating the toxic air so that no one living or working along the corridor suffers increased public health risks." This is very vague. . .

No._ It?s not vague at all._ The concept of ?first, do no harm? is common in long-standing environmental regulations here and elsewhere._ People know exactly what it means.

. . . If this building increases car traffic from say (for examples sake) 1,000 cars to 1,010 cars--you're going to claim that the pollutants from the extra cars is unhealthy, toxic air and the result is increased public health risks. . .

No._ You misunderstand the current environment, the proposal, the health risks, and the relationships between the three.

Firstly, it is not merely the pollution from extra cars that is unhealthy; the collective public health risk arises from the sum of all pollutants emanating from the interstate transportation corridor, which includes diesel rail engines and all motor vehicles._ Mitigation is possible, available, and affordable, so there is no reason for creating unnecessary public health risks when those risks are avoidable.

Secondly, when managers representing CalPERS-MURC-CUIP sought to get state income taxes waived, and city property taxes waived for 19 years, those managers said, in videotaped testimony before City Councilors, that the surrounding community would be cleansed by Columbus Center?s ?hermetically sealed? tunnels which they claimed would capture and remove pollutants before they could do any harm._ But the truth is that no airtight tunnels were ever approved, required, or designed, and the promise of airtight tunnels was fraudulently made in order to get city and state taxes waived.

When developers promise to build airtight tunnels ? in exchange for not paying state income taxes and city property taxes ? there is nothing unfair about requiring them to deliver the airtight tunnels that they promised.

. . . I honestly don't believe that you or anyone else in the neighborhood group opposed to this building, will ever be satisfied with a plan or developer for this parcel of land.

Firstly, you imagine that there is a ?group opposed to this building? but no such group exists._ The proposal is not just for one building, and it is opposed not just by one group._ Thousands of taxpayers oppose the proposal, as do the elected officials that represent them._ Remember that the proposal was to:
? skip pre-screening and pre-qualifying;
? award 7 acres of public property to a non-competitive bidder;
? for pennies on the dollar;
? without compliance with the Turnpike Master Plan;
? to create 6 buildings that would be 100% privately owned;
? with public dollars paying a private developer?s costs and profits.

Secondly, the three closest neighborhoods submitted an alternative proposal that, using the developer?s own criteria and formulae, was viable and profitable._ The developers rejected that alternative, arguing that they would become insolvent if their complex was not gigantic._ The Mayor fell for their argument, he approved the gigantic, Master-Plan-violating design, and they?re insolvent anyway.

Thirdly, the proposal is not about a ?parcel of land? as you wrote._ This proposal is for air rights not land rights, and it covers 5 leases, for 6 buildings, on 5 properties.

Given your unfamiliarity with the critics, the alternative, the properties, and the buildings, your conclusions aren?t surprising._ But they are incorrect.

. . . if you want clean air, get out of the city and move to Nova Scotia.

Do you think that you and other BEEARNs (Build Everything, Everywhere, All-the-time, Right-away, No-matter-what) should move to Nova Scotia, where no one will notice or care what you do, and you can develop to your heart?s content?_ No, of course you don?t._ The argument that citizens who dislike this proposal should move to another country is no more valid than your equally ridiculous argument that developers who like this proposal should move it to another country.

. . . Anyone whose living next to a major highway like the Mass Pike should expect some more air pollution/health risks.

People who live and work along such corridors are not required to accept any air pollution increase at all._ Your argument that they should accept more pollution just because a developer wants to create it carries no weight with any of them._ The air pollution level can be kept the same, or it can be reduced, but there is no necessity to increase it.

[size=+2]Pike Angry at Developers[/size]

Boston Herald ? 24 April 2009 ? by Tom Grillo

The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority is losing patience with the Columbus Center developers.

Alan LeBovidge, the Pike?s executive director, said he has asked the developers to remove Jersey barriers along the Pike extension, but has not gotten a satisfactory response.

?They asked for an extension until after Easter, but that was two weeks ago and we haven?t heard anything,? he said. ?We will take appropriate action including a lawsuit if that?s necessary.?

The barriers were needed during Columbus Center?s construction phase, but work was halted last year. The barriers are the latest problem for the development, as construction costs soared and financial backers disappeared.

Beal Cos. of Boston and Related Properties in New York are the consultants on the $850 million project.

A Beal spokeswoman said the team has made progress on the cleanup of the site, but did not have information about the Jersey barriers.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1167690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back