Columbus Center: RIP | Back Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Columbus Center

Two facts are evident in the public records:
● Safety and quality certifications from sworn, independent engineers are required throughout this project’s design stage and its construction stage.
● This project has serious prerequisites to getting its Boston Building Permit.

For those who don’t have the public records, or who don’t want to know what’s in them, here are the details.

1. During the design stage, this project requires certifications to state legislators and other top-level state officials, from sworn, independent engineers, that the designs are of the highest quality and safety._ These certifications were never issued._ They were never even applied for.

2. In September 2008, the owners announced that they had replaced their “tunnel decks” with cheaper, faster, less durable “tunnel platforms.”_ These platform designs were never even submitted to the sworn, independent engineers for quality control review.

3. After design quality is certified, this project requires $295 million in pre-paid performance bonds._ These bonds were never bought.

4. After the performance bonds are bought, this project requires completed railway and roadway tunnels underneath the 7-acre site._ These tunnels were never started.

5. After the tunnels are completed, this project requires millions of dollars in pre-paid Boston Building Permit fees._ These fees were never paid.

So, this project is still years and millions of dollars away from its Boston Building Permit, which is far more than “a safety formality.”

If they are really serious about building the project (which they aren't, at least until the economy recovers), they will get these approvals without incident. Even if these approvals actually exist, they are not NIMBY-influenced, so a project with fully complete blueprints and BRA approval will receive the approval from the sworn, independent engineers without problem. This project has been endlessly scrutinized for over a decade; it's unlikely that something unexpected in the blueprints will pop up right when they are approving them!

athol-close.jpg

For this project, the BRA hasn?t updated its web site in 6 years._ It was approved on 10 July 2003, but over the next 6 years . . .

● The former owner (Winn) sold the proposal to new owners (California).
● The new owners refused to provide the required $295 million performance bonds.
● The new owners defaulted on original lease, and refused to sign an amended one.
● Most of the rent was never paid.
● Nothing was built.
● The only state legislator who ever supported it was arrested, was indicted, and then resigned.
● The only state employee protecting the developers was laid off, and his position terminated.
● No commercial lender ever risked even one dollar on this proposal.

Ned, what you wrote doesn't prove that it isn't approved. It's just the events of what happened after it was approved

By that logic, the only thing needed for time tunnel travel is (a) lots of time tunnel and (b) someone to pay for it._ For any venture that?s just a plan on paper, it can be said that the ?only things lacking? are resources and cash._ But on this proposal, the resources-and-cash gap remains enormous, and unfilled.

So this proposal's resources-and-cash gap remains enormous, and unfilled. Your point? Regardless of the size of the gap and whether it is filled or not (obviously if it was, it would be going up now wouldn't it, Ned?), the fact remains, the only thing CC needed to get started was a few loans which were not rejected due to UFPs or the disappearance of a "needed" open air park.

No one started to build an unauthorized skyscraper._ If you don?t recall what happened, or if you need to know more, re-check the public records, which show:

● In September 2007, the new owner (California) stopped funding.
● From October 2007 through March 2008, the former owner (Winn) performed theatrically staged ?site preparation and pre-construction activity? to (a) retain investor-owner interest; and (b) attract commercial construction loans.
● Shrubs were pulled, fences went up, and gravel was moved left and right.
● Nothing was ever built.
● In April 2008, the owners jointly claimed to have spent $110 million.

So the public records clearly state that Winn (as you paraphrased it) "performed theatrically staged 'site preparation and pre-construction activity' to (a) retain investor-owner interest; and (b) attract commercial construction loans." or were those words just added from your opinion and assumptions?

People who associate only with cheerleaders for BEEARN (Build Everything, Everywhere, All-the-time, Right-away, No-matter-what) continue to say that they see no issues in this proposal, but that?s only because they haven?t asked the right questions.

They are no different than the NIMBYs who are grasping at straws to try to turn around an argument.

Last edited:

. . . they will get these approvals without incident . . . a project with fully complete blueprints and BRA approval will receive the approval from the sworn, independent engineers without problem. This project has been endlessly scrutinized for over a decade; it's unlikely that something unexpected in the blueprints will pop up right when they are approving them!

You?re ignoring the fact that not only are the blueprints not, as you wrote, ?fully complete,? but they were never even started.

You?re also ignoring the fact that since you don?t know what the sworn independent engineers are going to be reviewing, and you don?t know what their mission is, it?s impossible for you to intelligently claim, as you wrote, that they will issue approvals ?without incident.?

You?re also ignoring what?s occurred, and when it occurred._ The proposal has not been, as you wrote, ?endlessly scrutinized for a decade.? _ In fact, during about 5 of the last 10 years, virtually nothing was happening in the ?scrutiny? department._ The latest example of nothing happening is the replacement of tunnel decks with tunnel platforms._ The switcheroo was announced last September, and no further progress was made after that.

Ned, what you wrote doesn't prove that it isn't approved. It's just the events of what happened after it was approved

You?re forgetting how this discussion began, and why it continues.

When other forum members started simplistically claiming that the entire proposal was fully approved, I drilled down and explained that the project involves a long string of city, state, federal, and commercial approvals, and that some were issued, some were rescinded, some were never issued, and some were never even applied for.

That granular mix continues today.

Yes, everyone knows that the BRA issued a BRA approval on 10 July 2003._ But that?s never been a question, so it?s not relevant to this discussion._ That BRA approval is only one of many approvals, the other approvals are still outstanding, little has been done to get them, so project progress remains at a standstill._ That?s the point.

So this proposal's resources-and-cash gap remains enormous, and unfilled. Your point? Regardless of the size of the gap and whether it is filled or not (obviously if it was, it would be going up now wouldn't it, Ned?), the fact remains, the only thing CC needed to get started was a few loans which were not rejected due to UFPs or the disappearance of a "needed" open air park.

No, just a ?few loans? is not all that the project needed to ?get started.?_ It needs far more things than you realize.

? One thing is $295 million worth of performance bonds.
? Another thing is approval to borrow the entire $850 million.
? Another thing is approval to spend it (each lender requires that every other lender remain involved).
? Another thing is one half billion dollars worth of liability insurance coverage ? every year.
? Additional things are also needed (already explained in prior posts, so not repeated here).

Environmental issues and master plan violations are routine factors in making decisions about speculative real estate investments, especially ones totaling $850 million._ So unless each lender personally assured you of what he considered and what he did not consider in his decision, and unless each lender confirmed to you that he made two extremely unusual exceptions in this case, then it?s ridiculous for you to try to claim that these routine factors were skipped.

So the public records clearly state that Winn (as you paraphrased it) "performed theatrically staged 'site preparation and pre-construction activity' to (a) retain investor-owner interest; and (b) attract commercial construction loans." or were those words just added from your opinion and assumptions?

The ?site preparation and pre-construction activity? are the words coined ? and used repeatedly ? by the project managers themselves, throughout 2007 and again in 2008._ The necessities of retaining increasingly skeptical investor-owners and attracting additional lenders were admitted by the project managers in interviews at city, state, and federal agencies, and also during newspaper interviews._ Additional reports from other sources matched what was reported from the interviews.

The half year of theatrically staged activity did not succeed._ It didn?t reassure the investor-owners (California), it didn?t sign up the additional pension plans and other hoped-for lenders, and it didn?t produce the cash needed to buy the $295 million in performance bonds and the steel for the tunnels._ Since the managers spent a half year, at enormous cost, and built nothing, and since they failed to reach any of their goals, I say ?theatrically staged? because those words best reflect the fact that the activity (a) was not what they said it was, and (b) accomplished nothing.

During my weekly meetings with the managers during the fall, winter, and spring of 2007-2008, it was clear that:
(1) they were chewing through their calendar;
(2) they weren?t getting anything done;
(3) they knew it; and
(4) it was their intent.

You’re ignoring the fact that not only are the blueprints not, as you wrote, “fully complete,” but they were never even started.

You’re also ignoring the fact that since you don’t know what the sworn independent engineers are going to be reviewing, and you don’t know what their mission is, it’s impossible for you to intelligently claim, as you wrote, that they will issue approvals “without incident.”

You’re also ignoring what’s occurred, and when it occurred._ The proposal has not been, as you wrote, “endlessly scrutinized for a decade.” _ In fact, during about 5 of the last 10 years, virtually nothing was happening in the “scrutiny” department._ The latest example of nothing happening is the replacement of tunnel decks with tunnel platforms._ The switcheroo was announced last September, and no further progress was made after that.

Yes I do, I know how the process works, and if all the other projects under construction (including air rights) in Boston were approved without incident, I'll pretty much guarantee that this project will also be approved by these enginners without incident. Do you have a link to prove any of this? I'd really like to know the actual documents that show how the process, and maybe you can even send them to the newspapers!

Once the BRA approves, aren't all the rest revenue-generating formalities? My experience has always been it's like going to the Post Office a week before Christmas-----it may take forever to make your transaction, but you'll get it done.

Ned, does your girlfriend think it's approved?

Marty Walz is not against the project. She was quoted as saying, "I am not against the project, I am against public funding of the project." Do I need to find the quote?

Marty Walz is not against the project. She was quoted as saying, "I am not against the project, I am against public funding of the project." Do I need to find the quote?

John, I've got a really nice bridge for sale. Cheap!

Yes I do, I know how the process works. . .

No, you don?t know how the process works._ No one knows for sure how it works, because the processes required for modern air rights have never been used ? anywhere ? yet._ Your other inquiries (below) show that not only do you not know how this process works in reality (because no one does), but you don?t know how it works in theory, either.

. . . if all the other projects under construction (including air rights) in Boston were approved without incident, I'll pretty much guarantee that this project will also be approved by these enginners without incident.

Firstly, your big ?if? above reveals that you still don?t even know whether all these projects were approved without incident._ So the discussion you?ve started about this is needless nonsense.

Secondly, a ?pretty-much-guarantee? is no guarantee at all.

Do you have a link to prove any of this? I'd really like to know the actual documents that show how the process, and maybe you can even send them to the newspapers!

It?s too bad that only now for the first time you?d ?like to know the actual documents that show the process.?_ Ridiculous discussions like this can be avoided altogether by just getting the documents first._ You didn?t get the public records related to your previous issues, so I don?t expect you?ll get these, either._ But, if you are serious about learning, then for starters, read . . .

■ Lease (MTA & CWCC, 2 May 2006)
■ Lease Amendment & Performance Bond terms (MTA, 29 February 2008)
■ Acts of 2008, Chapter 303 (Governor Patrick, 8 August 2008)
■ ?Frustration is only thing rising, it seems? (Boston Globe, 4 October 2008)

I ave a question for you Ned not pertaining to the CC development. Where around exactly do you live in the South End? Do you live relatively close to CC or no? You don't have to answer the question if you feel that it is a private matter.

I hope one of the moderators will delete the phone number

I ave a question for you Ned not pertaining to the CC development. Where around exactly do you live in the South End? . . .

KentXie / DarkFenX, if your question about where I live does not pertain to Columbus Center, then you have no business posting it in this forum.

And if all you want is the answer, it?s public information, and you don?t have to ask me to get it.

Obviously, however, in your mind this question has everything to do with Columbus Center, because you and other forum members have asked and re-asked about it many times over the last few years.

To summarize:_ I was the first person to move into 75 Clarendon Street, and have lived there for 19 years._ Since 1993, I have continued fighting to tunnel over the entire I-90 corridor, and develop it above, using qualified developers, competitive bidding, full financial disclosure, and the ?first, do no harm? principle with respect to environmental issues.

Since the publication of the Turnpike Master Plan on 28 June 2000, I have advocated for city and state officials to comply with it, and to enforce it.

But they refused.

So the city is now in its 14th year of being stuck with:
? a sole-source developer;
? with no equivalent experience;
? no financial disclosure (except what the FBI found while trailing Senator Wilkerson for bribery);
? fraudulent subsidy applications;
? rescinded subsidies;
? fraudulent testimony that ?air-tight? tunnels will cleanse the community air;
? a lease that was defaulted on over 3 years ago;
? no performance bonds;
? no bank loans;
? a 30-year project calendar; and
? new west coast owners who halted funding in September 2007.

And those are just the highlights of what?s gone wrong.

For years, other forum members obsessed under wrong and imaginary worries about the views from my home._ But the developer?s model and an aerial photo finally laid all that foolishness to rest on 21 August 2008._ Re-read post #s 1288, 1289, and 1290 for details.

I deleted Ned's private info. I realize that it's public information, but let's not go there.

No, you don’t know how the process works._ No one knows for sure how it works, because the processes required for modern air rights have never been used — anywhere — yet._ Your other inquiries (below) show that not only do you not know how this process works in reality (because no one does), but you don’t know how it works in theory, either.

Firstly, your big “if” above reveals that you still don’t even know whether all these projects were approved without incident._ So the discussion you’ve started about this is needless nonsense.

Secondly, a “pretty-much-guarantee” is no guarantee at all.

It’s too bad that only now for the first time you’d “like to know the actual documents that show the process.”_ Ridiculous discussions like this can be avoided altogether by just getting the documents first._ You didn’t get the public records related to your previous issues, so I don’t expect you’ll get these, either._ But, if you are serious about learning, then for starters, read . . .

■ Lease (MTA & CWCC, 2 May 2006)
■ Lease Amendment & Performance Bond terms (MTA, 29 February 2008)
■ Acts of 2008, Chapter 303 (Governor Patrick, 8 August 2008)
■ “Frustration is only thing rising, it seems” (Boston Globe, 4 October 2008)

How did the other projects (including the Pru, Copley Plaza, and more modern developments) get under construction then? (Don't tell me "wahhhhhhhhhhh, the rules have changed, because I know that, but they haven't changed how you described them to be, because if they did, nothing would get built) And how is the Intercontinental Hotel and Fenway Center not developments that required "the processes required for modern air rights"? It's just a very strict definition created by you so you can make your straw man argument against Columbus Center.

Also, how about all the UFPs spewing from Back Bay Station and the Hancock garage, almost directly across the street from your house? They are already there, adding more has not been proven to increase the lethality and if you are so afraid of them, why live in a place where they are spewing from across the street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back