Commonwealth?s NIMBY Culture May Derail Stimulus Benefit

statler

Reaction score
Banker & Tradesman - March 9, 2009
Commonwealth?s NIMBY Culture May Derail Stimulus Benefit

By Scott Van Voorhis

Banker & Tradesman Columnist

03/09/09

President Obama and your $787 billion stimulus plan, meet the Bay State, where ?shovel ready? generally refers to once promising development proposals ready to be interred six feet under.

Local ?Not In My Back Yard? bureaucrats and neighbors of all stripes have made the Bay State one of the most difficult places to build in the country.

But now, with the country tottering on the edge of another Great Depression, our state?s dubious reputation as a graveyard for ambitious projects may come back to ruin our already struggling local economy.

So if the Patrick administration really wants to ensure that Massachusetts gets the billions earmarked for the state, it needs to start getting tough ? and start getting tough fast ? with local communities that want to take their sweet time reviewing to death some of these badly needed projects.

One idea, put forth in a white paper by Robinson & Cole, a law firm that does a fair amount of development work, is both simple and powerful. If you drag your feet and won?t issue permits quickly and efficiently for one of these shovel-ready projects, the project gets taken off the list and your community loses the benefit of those precious federal dollars.

Still, if anything, it probably doesn?t go far enough, but more on that later.

?Use It Or Lose It?

At stake is well more than $700 million just for transportation and public transit projects, and probably more. The Patrick administration?s list of ?shovel-ready? projects ranges into the billions.

?With the Obama administration, their approach has been use it or lose it,? said Brian Blaesser, an attorney at Robinson & Cole?s Boston office who focuses on development issues. ?We recognize this is an extraordinary time and there are some measures that need to go along with it.?

That NIMBYism is alive and well in Massachusetts, even amid the worst downturn since the 1930s, is beyond doubt.

Just take a look at that recent story in the Globe about neighbors on bucolic Sandy Valley Road in Westwood fighting, of all things, plans for a horse farm.

It?s the same spirit that generated hundred of meetings and countless reviews of the now near extinct Columbus Center project, whose developer had the temerity to propose building a mid-sized tower over an ugly highway canyon in downtown Boston.

Or, for that matter, the endless debate over how much parkland and public space should be incorporated into Boston?s Fan Pier waterfront project. After nearly three decades of endless talk, an office building fit for Route 128 is finally taking shape, though with no anchor tenant yet.

So you get the picture. While fortunately we don?t have some rock-headed Republican governor to thumb his nose at our new president, our state?s NIMBY culture could end up derailing this multibillion-dollar gift from Washington all the same.

Blame Local Government

?I think there is a history in this commonwealth of municipalities prolonging the process,? said David Begelfer, chief executive of Massachusetts NAIOP, which represents the local development industry. ?The delays can be insurmountable when you have a project on the edge.?

Many of the supposedly ?shovel-ready? projects on the list put together by the Patrick administration still need ?multiple local approvals? before any work can start, the Robinson & Cole report notes.

The firm recommends that local communities be required to take action on permit applications within 30 days, and issue approvals within two months.

And if a community can?t meet those deadlines, then the Patrick administration?s newly appointed ?stimulus czar? should be granted the authority to pull the funding for the project in question.

Town officials can then scramble to explain why they turned away all those construction jobs and all the money that would have poured into local shops and restaurants.

But the governor may need an even bigger stick than this to prod local officials to action.

The law firm also recommends granting the state?s chief executive the power to override local zoning and land-use controls to get some of these projects moving.

Of course, there?s a big catch to both ideas. In order to have the authority to get tough with local communities that still want to play the delaying game, the governor will need additional powers.

And that means action by the state Legislature, that great debating society where concrete action can be elusive.

The one hopeful development in this regard is the new House leader, Robert DeLeo, who appears ready to shed the obstructionist ways of his predecessor, Sal DiMasi.

We?ll see. It?s a very big caveat, to say the least.

The report also cannily recommends that a special Web site be created, ostensibly to give the public a chance to track these projects and weigh in on them.

Of course, it could also be a great way of building support for some of these plans, widening the discussion beyond the local town council chamber and the few local gadflies who turn out to blast the latest big development plan.

If anything, the report?s recommendations don?t go far enough. Why not bring back an idea that former Gov. Mitt Romney toyed with, but never had the political nerve to carry out?

If local towns and cities decide to give the usual NIMBY treatment to some of these badly needed stimulus projects, why not start cutting the amount of local aid they receive from the state?

That might sound extreme to some.

But with the future of our state?s economy hanging in the balance amid an historic downturn, it sounds just right to me.

Way to go, Scotty! A welcome about-face from the anti-development stance I associate with his newspaper days. Could it have been the editors telling him where to stand?

He also writes better now. A lot better.

^^ First rule of journalism: "Know your audience".

The Herald audience is a completely different crowd than the B&T audience.

He's obviously reading this board - a building fit for Route 128???

(Hi Scott!)

Wow, I never would have guessed when clicking on this thread that this was the actual title of the article. Bravo.

I wonder if MA's "NIMBY culture" is really worse than some other states', though. In Washington, the stimulus money was originally slated to go into demolishing the Alaska Way viaduct in Seattle, but state politicians hijacked it for rural projects. The same thing happened in Missouri, where St. Louis' mayor is furious at how stimulus money is being used to shore up little-used roads in farm country.

At least MA state politicians direct a lot of money at Boston. The Big Dig did get done.

^ Well, SF is traditionally regarded as a NIMBY haven, but look at all the shiny glass (boring) towers that have been thrown up there in the past few years, with many more to come.

Rich suburbs, of course, have NIMBY power wherever you go. I've read that the California high speed rail faces opposition because residents of Palo Alto/Menlo Park/Atherton (my own 'back yard' for the time being) demand it go underground along that portion of the route. See also the NIMBY blockades of BART expansion down the Peninsula as well as up to Marin.

The Westwood horse farm incident sounds utterly hilarious, though.

Damn, way to go Scott.

I think he is on to something, though creating a weapon of fear doesn't sit well with me. Maybe if municipalities were rewarded for quick effort as opposed to threatened. IDK.

Is Boston really this bad with the NIMBYs. I know Harvard has battled with Allston (and making insane demands over free day care and such), making me wish Harvard would say tough luck.

It just seems like people would rather have decaying, vacant (with really no historic value like a old townhouse on Beacon Hill or such) buildings over developments that create jobs and tax revenue in a variety of ways (sales, property, payroll, income, ect.). Doesn't mean they shouldn't ignore valid concerns and just throw up an ugly building, but it just seems really bad.

http://nimbyboston.blogspot.com/

It's not so much individual cases of NIMBYism (many cases have merit) but rather the culture of 'fight anything that gets proposed that isn't EXACTLY what is there already'. It makes developers and architects just create half-assed, lowest common denominator work for the city.

Let's be fair to the Boston NIMBYs. They don't fight EVERYTHING - they love a good school, or a supermarket. As long as they're underground and don't ruin their view of the abandoned parking lot and/or other triple deckers yonder. Oh wait, didn't they fight Renzo Piano's underground art museum? Right. Nevermind. Maybe the criterion is traffic. They'd support a project as long as there was a good transit link to alleviate that, surely. Unless it involved a lot of noisy trains, like the Hingham commuter rail line. Dammit.

What percentage of Boston's NIMBY-ism is or has been caused by the idiotic writing in the Herald (formerly done by Scotty himself) that riles up Eastern Mass's lowest common denominator? Even if you aren't willing to throw the blame completely on their lap (I'm certainly not, although I have my moments), you'd have to say that the Herald's flame fanning certainly doesn't help the situation. I wonder how much responsibility for this Scott's willing to take?

I wish someone with some merit would just say "You live in a city, STFU."

Do NIMBYs tend to be the older, blue-money crowd? Are younger Boston residents more open to development?

I wish someone with some merit would just say "You live in a city, STFU."

They never will, because it's a logically flawed argument. Simply because you and I have an understanding of a city as a proper place for hyperdense development, or even simply because it is the only place in the region that can sustain it, does not mean that the city has to take on this characteristic. No definition of city inherently calls for constant, intensive redevelopment that residents must put up with (or shut up).

The issue is that the NIMBYs have taken ownership of what the city means as applied to their local situation. They have inscribed a history and culture of Boston as reticent and parochial - good things, in their minds, because they foster tradition and community. To win the argument, members of this forum have to go beyond arguing "this is the city", and fundamentally redefine what the city - and not just "the city", but Boston, specifically - really means.

Do NIMBYs tend to be the older, blue-money crowd? Are younger Boston residents more open to development?

Almost no one under the age of 55 ever attends those meetings, most likely because they don't have time or are too transitory in general to care about the fate of their neighborhood. I think it would be hard to predict which way they would go, necessarily.

Almost no one under the age of 55 ever attends those meetings, most likely because they don't have time or are too transitory in general to care about the fate of their neighborhood. I think it would be hard to predict which way they would go, necessarily.

Meant to say blue-blood instead of blue-money.

when did Scott start writing for B&T? i still cant believe he wrote this

Back