Community Meeting: Design Of Orient Heights Station

Beton Brut

Reaction score
Meeting Date June 3, 2010
Meeting Time 6:30 PM ? 8:00 PM
Subject of Meeting Community Meeting: Design Of Orient Heights Station
Location Orient Heights Yacht Club; 41 Bayswater Street; East Boston, MA
MBTA Attendees Design and Construction

MBTA project team will present the updated design for the construction of Orient Heights Station to the East Boston community and Orient Heights commuters.

If assistive listening devices and/or interpreters are needed for hearing, please call 711 Massachusetts Relay Service and request 617-222-3752.
For more information, please call (617) 222-6757.

Oooh, I'd love to go to this one. If only I actually lived in East Boston. Orient Heights is pretty desperate for an update, at least aesthetically. If I remember correctly, it's also a little bit difficult to walk to and from.

The "upgrade" is a structural and functional necessity. The result will likely be a value-engineered mess that takes its design cues from the stables at Suffolk Downs. Looks a bit like a cheaper version of Forest Hills. I'll try and scan the meeting materials tomorrow.

The current station (and it's ill-conceived replacement) are spitting distance from the intersection of Bennington and Saratoga Streets. It's not hard to get to, but it feels "remote" from the two busiest streets in the neighborhood. The new design is autocentric, fails to address the access and egress of the current station, and is a lost opportunity urbanistically.

Prepare to be disappointed.

If anyone goes, make sure you keep raising your hand until they agree to build it under, or at least abutting, Saratoga St with direct stairs/elevators. Running a footpath along the ROW to Constitution Beach would be cool, too. There looks to be enough room on Google maps.

I suggested that very idea at the first of these rounds of meetings in 2009. Essentially repurpose one of the designs from the Southwest Corridor Orange Line (Green Street or Stony Brook). The T says it's impossible because they'd need to move the traction generator located near the base of the Frank Scarpa (Saratoga Street) Bridge.

There's also a political component to this design decision...

I would love to get a look at any materials passed out at the meeting if folks are able to scan them...

Andy

I've been waiting for the T to post the meeting materials online. Apparently, this isn't happening, even though several people at the meeting requested it.

I have a copy of the materials in printed for in my office. Will try and scan and post tomorrow.

Don't plan on being impressed.

Back