Commuter Rail to Gillette

HalcyonEra

Reaction score
So here we go again with Nimby's freaking out about expanding mass transit:

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/27...g-full-time-commuter-rail-service-to-gillette

Walpole residents vow to stop deal to bring full-time commuter rail service to Gillette

Posted: Dec 02, 2014 10:59 PM EST Updated: Dec 02, 2014 10:59 PM EST

WALPOLE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Some Walpole residents cried of back door deals on Beacon Hill in a meeting on Tuesday night, promising to kill plans to bring full-time commuter rail service through to Gillette Stadium.

The MBTA's hope to build a commuter rail station at Gillette Stadium seemingly got derailed at the Walpole selectman's meeting.

It was standing room only, as Massachusetts Department of Transportation planning director David Mohler explained that talks with the Kraft family to bring daily commuter service through Walpole to Gillette began months ago.

"In probably about mid-January we sat down with the Kraft Group to discuss the potential of extending commuter rail service to Gillette Stadium," Mohler said.

The trouble is, town officials only found out about it a few weeks ago, after the MBTA committed to spending $23 million to buy an old freight line.

"This is sneaky, deceitful and wrong, and completely irresponsible!" selectwoman Nancy MacKenzie exclaimed during the meeting.

The proposed extension would carry passengers directly from Readville on the Franklin line to Gillette. It wouldn't stop in Walpole, but up to five commuter trains a day would pass through on the new line.

Many at the meeting did not believe the proposal would benefit Walpole.

In the end, Walpole's Beacon Hill delegation promised to stop these plans right in their tracks.

"We should have been notified at the very beginning, but we weren't," said State Rep. John Rogers. "And they knew we would fight tooth and nail to kill this project. And we will kill this project."

Tuesday night, Mass. DOT said it would take two more years before the Gillette rail stop could ever be opened. But after the community meeting, there is now doubt that might ever happen.

:confused:

Sorry if this addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. While I have a general disdain for Nimby's, I especially get pissed when they impact the greater good of the populous. It's not like these rail lines don't exist, they are there, and likely have been there long before anyone in the town was even born let alone living where they currently do. And presumably, the only people who would have standing are those who have the rail easement either on their property or in close proximity to it. Notwithstanding that, the price of their respective properties should have reflected these right of ways. To me it's like people who buy property near a highway and then demand noise barriers.

Are these people upset that there are no additional stops planned in Walpole, or is simply opposition of the resurrection of an old line? I think more frequent service to Gillette would be great, especially on game days. One train in and one train out does not cut it, imo. Is this simply another Higham-esque hissy fit? Or is this being driven by special interests (police details, people who allow their land become a parking lot when there are events, etc)? And the fact that you have an elected official threatening to kill it because "it doesn't benefit Walpole" is ludicrous. Reducing traffic through the town benefits the town much more than 5 train trips per day, imo.

Anyone know the back story on this?

Eh, I hope it is killed. Honestly, most commuter rail expansion is a waste of money. Especially to Gillette.

Sure, these NIMBYs sound like the worst kind of snobs, and I think they are horrible people. Even more reason not to waste scarce transit dollars on them.

Can the T please start focusing on helping the people who actually like the T and want the T, instead of throwing away resources on the assholes in the suburbs all the time?

Right? Those quotes sound like they're from 8th Graders who were just told that they trip to the mall was moved up to 2:30 from 4:00. Those words are not what we should expect from our elected officials...

That said, I agree with Matthew. If they want to kill it, let them kill it. Full-time Gillette service won't be worth it to the MBTA, why waste time and resources battling people who don't want it to begin with? There is ZERO bang for the buck with Foxboro.

Eh, I hope it is killed. Honestly, most commuter rail expansion is a waste of money. Especially to Gillette.

Sure, these NIMBYs sound like the worst kind of snobs, and I think they are horrible people. Even more reason not to waste scarce transit dollars on them.

Can the T please start focusing on helping the people who actually like the T and want the T, instead of throwing away resources on the assholes in the suburbs all the time?

It wasn't just about serving Foxboro though, it was also about getting free land to build a light maintenance facility for the proposed Fairmount DMU fleet. I suspect they will make do with modifying the existing Readville facility if they have to though.

It wasn't just about serving Foxboro though, it was also about getting free land to build a light maintenance facility for the proposed Fairmount DMU fleet. I suspect they will make do with modifying the existing Readville facility if they have to though.

Yards and maintenance facilities always get the locals more riled up than a simple train every few hours.

Right? Those quotes sound like they're from 8th Graders who were just told that they trip to the mall was moved up to 2:30 from 4:00. Those words are not what we should expect from our elected officials...

That said, I agree with Matthew. If they want to kill it, let them kill it. Full-time Gillette service won't be worth it to the MBTA, why waste time and resources battling people who don't want it to begin with? There is ZERO bang for the buck with Foxboro.

(newer) Foxboro resident here that moved from brighton.

Couldn't care less about CR to Foxboro. Mansfield is an 8 minute bike ride from my house, and Sharon is a 12 minute drive.

Save the money and invest in the core.

That's actually an even bigger argument against this hairbrained scheme.

If we are to acquire and begin utilizing DMUs, their maintenance facilities must be located close to the core. It's simply not efficient to have the maintenance facilities out in the pit that is Gillette Stadium if we're expecting to also run DMUs on any line other than Fairmount/Franklin. What are you going to do when you need to service a disabled DMU at Riverside, tow it all the way back to South Station so that you can tow it all the way out to Gillette?

Readville isn't the ideal place for the DMU facility but it's miles ahead of Nowhereshire, MA out along Route 1.

Let's be clear: the DMU maintenance facility argument is at best a throw-in and at worst a red herring. The real reason to do this is to try and leverage Patriot Place as extra commuter parking for the ~335 days a year that Gillette isn't in use as an event venue, and by that metric, Bob Kraft is more than welcome to open up his personal checkbook and spend his own damn money on New England Patriots Line Trains (presented by Gillette, or Dunkin Donuts, or whoever decides to buy the sponsorship). The state shouldn't spend one dime on the trains, the station, or the operating expenses for serving it.

Now, you'll note that I didn't mention the tracks. Important distinction. I believe we have a legitimate interest in acquiring that ROW, and I would like to see ownership of it transferred to the state. It's important enough from a redundancy perspective to want a controlling interest there.

The MBTA: eager to pay CSX top dollar for their least-maintained tracks and then upgrade them to higher specs since circa MassDOT merger.

Back