Concord Developments

Stlin

Reaction score
I can't find a thread on Concord other than the MCI one, and as the disposition process for that site begins I think it'd be useful to also note the other developments in flight in Concord.

292-294 Baker Ave, NOVO Riverside Residences
201 units across two buildings, proposed as a 40B project with 51 affordable units, comprised of a mix of 21 3 beds, 99 2 beds and 81 1 bed units on the site of an existing office park's parking lot. Notably for a suburban development, most of the parking is underground, with the larger building having 2 basement parking levels. The adjacent office building might also be getting structured parking, but that isn't part of this project. Access to West Concord Station would be provided by the Town's ongoing Assabet River Bridge and Trail Project. Planning site link here, currently being advanced.

1710290694805.png

1710291476314.png

1710291438760.png

275 Forest Ridge Road, Residences at Thoreau, 40B

Another West Concord 40B project, 216 units across 3 buildings, adjacent to the Thoreau Club complex and the previously built multifamily complexes the Prescott and Black Birch II. Overall, a fairly ordinary suburban multifamily complex, but notably also adjacent to the Starmet/Nuclear Materials Superfund site, which is targeted for future residential development.

1710291970569.png

1710292031502.png

166 Commonwealth Ave: Mixed Use Infill

Replacing the long-defunct gas station on the corner leading to the rotary with 12 Units, mostly larger 2/3 bed units. Nothing spectacularly notable, except for individual roof garden boxes for each unit, a shared roof deck and that the retail is only 1000sqft; the rest of the ground floor is actually residential.

1710293555949.png
\\

Other Identified Development Sites:

Junction Village: Formerly Christopher Heights Assisted Living

This site lies immediately between West Concord's town center and the MCI Concord site, and was in fact transferred from DOC to Concord's municipal housing development corp back in 2014 or so by executive order. Ignore the development as shown; the proposed assisted living facility that Concord approved for this site fell apart during the pandemic, but was the best site plan I could find. Since that project was pulled, a new RFP for the site had been issued just before the state announced the closure of MCI Concord - that has since had the brakes slammed on it, since the disposition of the MCI Concord site will impact what the town wants from this site. Given a connection to Winthrop Street is already provisioned, I can imagine that in any new proposal the town would want that to provide access to the remaining DOC site, but proposals are due at the end of September.
1710296309567.png

Starmet/ Nuclear Materials Superfund Site:
Much like the MCI Concord site, locally eyed as a potential site for all manner of public uses once the EPA finishes the Superfund remediation process. This site, which as the name suggests, was contaminated with Uranium and other heavy metals after decades of defense production, but was actually rezoned for residential development in 2007, and the remediation process is to bring it to that standard. This year the town is working on determining whether it will take ownership of the site once the remediation process is over in ~2027.
1710293099953.png

Carrying over from the MCI-Concord thread, MassDOT is still considering various alternatives for the rotary:

1710332802661.png

1710332822707.png

See, the thing about the Rotary is that I've always gotten the impression that Concord residents don't really care much about it. After all, how often do residents go West?

The signal intersection might be OK. No need to do the flyover although it would be better.

Back