Constellation Center | 43 Thorndike St | East Cambridge

Can't deny that, but there's a level of fantasy they are trying to create. an educational theme park if you will.

So I assume you'd agree with the statement "all renaissance architecture was (and remains) theme-park-ish."

I know. Sorry. But there has to be a better way to disntiguish Disneyland from renaissance architecture, or as another example, Victorian gargoyles - almost completely ornamental, recalling medieval gargoyles which were actually functional for roof drainage. Vague notions of "fantasy" (probably present in all great architecture) and "theme park" (unnecessarily derisive even when used to describe theme parks themselves!) don't cut that distinction well.

Perhaps I should revise what I said before... All architecture is marketing. But: Good architecture is not ALL marketing.

I'm not talking about the specific type of architecture, I'm just referring to the use of historical architecture to create a theme. The same would go for IIT if they built an addition in the form of Miesian buildings or FSC built their additions as faux Wright buildings...

What specifically is the deference between the 'faux' and the 'neo' classifications?

]The same would go for IIT if they built an addition in the form of Miesian buildings or FSC built their additions as faux Wright buildings...

There are ways for architects to imaginatively interpret Mies's black I-beams or Wright's geometric precast concrete and remain true to the spirit of the original architects' vision. It's a far riskier proposition to interpret Georgian architecture without the entire enterprise degenerating into tasteless PoMo rubbish.

What specifically is the deference between the 'faux' and the 'neo' classifications?

Fit & Finish, statler: The Hotel Commonwealth is faux-French Second Empire; Spangler is Neo-Georgian.

Fit & Finish, statler: The Hotel Commonwealth is faux-French Second Empire; Spangler is Neo-Georgian.
Though I agree Spangler is a much more tasteful building, I'm not sure you've captured the essence of the difference, BetonBrut. Spangler has the same industrial-waste suspended ceilings and the same cheapish detailing as many upmarket corporate buildings on Route 128. I give it a C, maybe a C+.

Depending on budget, Stern runs hot (15 Central Park West) and cold (Clarendon). But he's a pro: tell him the budget, and he'll tell you how good a building he can deliver.

True enough, ablarc. The new urbanist work in Great Britain that you've posted here in the past (I forget the name of the firm) must surely deserve the "Neo" label, as the materials and details look unimpeachable.

On the topic of "Disney" architecture, a look at other disciplines might advance the discussion. Consider the value of authenticity and advancing the craft in your response:

• Tom Clancy or John Updike
  • Sonny Rollins or Kenny G
  • John Williams or Sofia Gubaidulina
  • PJ Harvey or Christina Aguilera
  • Steven Spielberg or David Lynch

Depending on your point of view, these are good or shitty questions.

Since there's more than a kernel of an interesting discussion, here's a better question:
If the guiding principal of Organic Architecture is a deep consideration of the surroundings, can approaches like Contextualism, Critical Regionalism, and even Historicism be viewed as an extension of Organic Architecture? Discuss.

Last edited:
First time I've read this board in months and have had to think... bravo!

If we can generate a serious discussion, perhaps we will become a better informed citizenry, and go on to demand a stimulating and well built environment from architects and the hacks at the BRA.

Ok, what of "revival", i.e. colonial revival, classical revival, etc? Or does that only pertain to over-all trends rather than distinct styles?

Some photos from the architect's site (Epstein Joslin Architects):

SHALIN_LIU_ext.jpg

SHALIN_LIU_int.jpg

Yesterday, I attended my first concert in the Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport. Visually and acoustically, it's stunning.

I'm glad, but you so got my hopes up that Constellation Center was moving forward.

The latest letter from Constellation Center says that design work on the seven story building has accelerated and there will be five performance halls in a building with 231,000 sq ft of interior space.

They have the latest audio and video renderings on display at their acoustic laboratory for the public to view.

They plan to initiate a larger capital campaign soon.

Oddly the web site and the brochure that came with the letter still say four halls.

The latest letter from Constellation Center says that design work on the seven story building has accelerated and there will be five performance halls in a building with 231,000 sq ft of interior space.

They have the latest audio and video renderings on display at their acoustic laboratory for the public to view.

They plan to initiate a larger capital campaign soon.

Oddly the web site and the brochure that came with the letter still say four halls.

Paul,

Does the newsletter say anything about the $$$$

While they have been making a website the somewhat venerable Opera Company of Boston has just announced it is cancelling its season and closing up shop -- citing poor fundraising results

The opera company that just closed is 'Opera Boston', which is the smaller and less-established of Boston's two companies. Until a few years ago they were called 'Boston Academy of Music'.

The larger surviving company is Boston Lyric Opera.

'Opera Company of Boston' was Sarah Caldwell's company, and it closed in 1990.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard a peep about progress with this?
Other than the site's use as an art parking lot.

The research phase ended last year, and KnicKrehm and his group are in what’s hoped to be a three-year fundraising effort to be followed by three or four years of construction. That suggests an opening in 2020.

McCready suspected KnicKrehm was having trouble gathering the money needed to build the center, which was put at $85 million in 2007, of which about $35 million had been raised, KnicKrehm said. But the center’s website now puts an “early projection” of its cost estimate at $100 million and says about one-third of that money has been raised – meaning the fundraising has lost ground in a half-dozen years.

“The cost of the project [has changed]. It’s a very different project than it was at that time,” Winkler said of the previous estimates.

The total cost of ConstellationCenter now is expected to be between $215 million and $300 million.

http://www.cambridgeday.com/2013/06...uare-constellationcenter-unbuilt-and-overdue/

The total cost of ConstellationCenter now is expected to be between $215 million and $300 million.

This seems like an absurdly high bill for the project. From what I remember, the new MIT Sloan building was about $100mm. Perhaps it's all of the equipment for performances and recording?

Either way, I don't see how this will ever happen at that price tag. The developer only raised $30mm since 2007, where are they going to get another $200mm?

Back