Cool NYC Train

erikyow

Reaction score
As part of an ad campaign, American Airlines outfitted, inside and out, one of the 42nd St. Shuttles in New York. The outside was given a light treatment of American's horizontal blue, white and red stripes but the inside was really decked out.

Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeZMOyqTf_E

I wonder how much AA paid for this. Do you think it could be feasible in Boston? I'm not sure of the ridership numbers on the Shuttle compared to any of the HR lines in Boston, so whether the expenditures on such an ad campaign would work vis-?-vis the exposure of such a train, I don't know. Have there ever been wrapped subway cars? I know there have been plenty of wrapped Green Line cars. Furthermore, the short nature of the line means the train is exposed to a greater percentage of the daily riders on that route, unlike say one Red Line train which might only been seen by 20,000 (random number) of the 175,000 daily riders.

Either way, it is really creative advertising (I particularly like the Alpenhorns on the seats) and it could be a good revenue stream for the T if it could be made to work.

P.S. As an aside, I'm also not saying that AA should be the one to do it either. Given they're happy enough to have largely given up their market here, it would probably be someone else. And not even necessarily an airline.

Yes, actually. Metro PCS wrapped red line trains.

4921141520_72c8b41baf.jpg

Back