COVID-19 Impacts on Logan, MBTA, and Boston travel and tourism

I don't see how you completely shut down the T -- too many people rely on it for access to food shopping, pharmacies and healthcare -- people who cannot afford to take an Uber or Lyft.

Not disagreeing the impact but if you are serious about limiting the spread without going full martial law like Spain and Italy did, closing the MBTA will encourage people to stay home.

Not disagreeing the impact but if you are serious about limiting the spread without going full martial law like Spain and Italy did, closing the MBTA will encourage people to stay home.

Great, lets encourage healthcare workers and pharmacists to stay home, that will be fantastic.

That's only equitable if you also barricade the roads and highways, which I haven't heard mentioned anywhere despite the numerous references I've read to shutting down public transit. Otherwise you're just forcing low-income riders to spend a lot more to get where they need to go, without making any impact to the majority of people who own cars and can still travel at will.

To be clear I don't think either shutdown is a good idea for what jass said - people still need groceries and to get to jobs that can't be done from home.

• While ridership is down, the T damn well better take this opportunity to take all the spare time they have for catching up on maintenance, working out the kinks on the new trains, etc.

Depending on the crew numbers involved in that work, it might not even be allowed.

The MBTA is going to be shut down soon I bet. Same with Logan.
jklo -- unlikely unless the Gov tells everyone to hunker down -- unlikely with the small number of cases in Greater Boston
essentially about 150 cases in 5 or so Million residents

As for Logan -- that is very very unlikely -- the Fed's don't want people traveling -- but they want the critical infrastructure for traveling when needed to be there if it is needed

Being as Logan is a major gateway airport [one of the 13 still accepting Americans returning from EU and UK] connects a lot of key medical infrastructure to the rest of the world, etc. -- It stays open when a lot of other airports could close

jklo -- unlikely unless the Gov tells everyone to hunker down -- unlikely with the small number of cases in Greater Boston

As for Logan -- that is very very unlikely -- the Fed's don't want people traveling -- but they want the critical infrastructure for traveling when needed to be there if it is needed

Being as Logan is a major gateway airport [one of the 13 still accepting Americans returning from EU and UK] connects a lot of key medical infrastructure to the rest of the world, etc. -- It stays open when a lot of other airports could close

...and air freight flights are not being halted at all, nor is there anything short of a contaminating loading warehouse at the airport that would start mass-canceling any air freight flights.

San Francisco is currently under SIP and I hadn't even heard of any cases there.

Should add there's been persistent rumors of a SIP coming here. Obviously the MBTA would be shut down if that happens.

Last edited:
San Francisco is currently under SIP and I hadn't even heard of any cases there.

Should add there's been persistent rumors of a SIP coming here. Obviously the MBTA would be shut down if that happens.

Bay Area hasn't shut down transit yet, including in counties where SIP is in place.

There is a lot of misinformation flying around about what SF ordered. From the L.A. Times:

What does the order say?
Officials are directing the public to stay at home as much as possible, with certain exceptions, such as to go out and get food at supermarkets, pick up prescriptions at the pharmacy, buy gas, go to the bank and check up on relatives.

“You will still be able to walk your dog, or go on a hike alone or someone you live with, or even with another person, as long as you keep six feet between you,” Dr. Grant Colfax, the San Francisco director of health, said at a press conference.

Certain essential activities are exempt, such as essential government and business services or essential public infrastructure construction, like housing. Essential activities are defined below.

The order goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. It’ll continue until 11:59 p.m. on April 7, unless rescinded earlier or extended.

What kinds of businesses are now ordered closed?
  • All bars and nightclubs
  • Gyms and recreation facilities
Essential businesses are urged to remain open. A list of them is below.

Are restaurants and cafes ordered closed?
Restaurants and cafes can remain open for takeout and delivery.

How big can gatherings be now?
All public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are now banned, with certain exceptions listed below.

What kind of travel is banned?
All travel, including by car and public transit, is banned except for essential travel or essential activities, as defined below. Public transit riders should try to stay six feet away from others.

There's a lot more info in the article.

Depending on the crew numbers involved in that work, it might not even be allowed.

Gotta be some projects that can be done in small teams, or spread out, or in vehicles.You don’t usually see construction crews tightly packed together, after all.

Gotta be some projects that can be done in small teams, or spread out, or in vehicles.You don’t usually see construction crews tightly packed together, after all.

I don't disagree, but it seems that government directives are more about reinforcing best practices. I don't know what they're going to do.

Italy and Spain aren't even shutting down public transport in spite of the lockdown.

There is a lot of misinformation flying around about what SF ordered. From the L.A. Times:

There's a lot more info in the article.
So basically, what they are calling shelter in place is actually the same restrictions we have here in Boston? What a bunch of divas in SF! Also, anecdotally, I figured that was the case, as my uncle's restaurant in Berkeley remains open for takeout purposes.

So basically, what they are calling shelter in place is actually the same restrictions we have here in Boston? What a bunch of divas in SF! Also, anecdotally, I figured that was the case, as my uncle's restaurant in Berkeley remains open for takeout purposes.

It's a bit more than we have in Boston, but marginally so. It's likely that calling it "shelter-in-place" is a deliberate misnomer to keep people at home as much as possible.

Anyway, BART is not closed in SF. Public transit isn't even closed in Italy. Don't expect the T to shut down any time soon.

93 HOV lane (southeast expressway) closed until further notice

Delta cutting flights by 70%

*temporary, likely through April at least, may ease up over summer

Last edited:
Is Massport exempt to the construction ban? Still several workers at the Hyatt project in Seaport this AM. You could see many inside doing work as well. All other sites in seaport have a few stragglers but not much activity.

Back