Custom House Tower Photo Thread

A couple old pics found here:

1640460168067.png

1640460174817.png

I think the custom house tower has to be one of the most attractive towers ever built imo. I absolutely love its obelisk shape and roof along with its art deco stone and copper accents. Too bad its not more prominent on the skyline or taller, it would probably have been ranked up higher on ppls lists of greatest towers.

I think the custom house tower has to be one of the most attractive towers ever built imo. I absolutely love its obelisk shape and roof along with its art deco stone and copper accents. Too bad its not more prominent on the skyline or taller, it would probably have been ranked up higher on ppls lists of greatest towers.
I'm in total agreement with you, stick. Back in the 80's when I worked in the Financial District I went to a dentist on Milk Street, and I actually looked forward to my appointments because his office was on a high floor with windows looking right at the Customs House up close at the level of the clock. I got so absorbed staring at the classic profile of the spire against a blue sky and the gorgeous architectural details of the clock face that the general unpleasantness of a cleaning or filling a cavity kind of faded into the background. It could still hurt like hell, but the pain wasn't the salient aspect of the experience. Looking at the Customs House was.

3/3 From the Pru. You can see the observation deck that I was originally aiming for, but my timing wasn't good enough so I "settled" for the better one.

IMG_0439 by David Z, on Flickr

Back