Dalton St. Garage Tower

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
I wanted to see what it would look like if one of the last remaining garages with "new tallest" potential was developed. Here is a quick edit to get a visual perspective of how it would interact at 1000' with the rest of the neighborhood.

Approx 950'

1000'

Bear in mind these images are missing the pike air rights towers, 40 trinity, and the Hancock garage towers.

Last edited:
950' looks better to me. As much as I want a 1000', it offsets the balance a bit.

I agree, though maybe a tapering tower with setbacks could make 1000' work. Tbh I think a copley sized tower would probably work best so the skyline tapers down from 1 Dalton althought it would suck to lose an air rights parcel like this to a shorter tower. I think the human scale in this city is great and we can have an iconic skyline through high quality materials and design to offset the lack of height. Anybody can build tall but I think balance is most important.

Lord & Taylor's my dream parcel for Boston's super tall. Snuggly fills in the gap in Back Bay's skyline, direct connection to the Prudential Center, and most importantly it'd replace a building nobody's going to miss.

I was thinking we could get a 2 tower complex here, with the shorter one on the grassy area (fenced off, worthless as is) and a new tallest for Boston over the eastern 2/3 of the garage. Looking from above though, it's iffy if the plots are big enough for 2.

Here is what the back bay will look like in the next 10 years with copley, 1 dalton, 40 trinity, and the pike air rights parcels. The air rights parcels really balance the skyline out well.

Here is what it would like further into the future with the towers mentioned above along with a copley sized tower at the dalton garage. I think a mid 600' tower at the Dalton garage creates the best effect and a nice sloping away angle from 1 Dalton.

Wake me up when those air rights get built. Greater likelihood that we get the soccer stadium, Green Line extension, Winthrop Square tower, and all the pedestrian bridges and bike paths in god's green earth before any air rights happen again. </oldmanishness>

Just showing what it will look whenever it finally happens. Not saying they're happening before or after anything else just showing what the back bay would look like once a few of these get built and if the air rights happens.

I was thinking we could get a 2 tower complex here, with the shorter one on the grassy area (fenced off, worthless as is) and a new tallest for Boston over the eastern 2/3 of the garage. Looking from above though, it's iffy if the plots are big enough for 2.

If you demap Cambria street there would definitely be enough room, and its kind of a pointless street.

Who owns 1 Dalton? By the time the next big boom (10+ years from now) rolls around they may actually be sitting one of the last prime spots of super-tall development especially if Back Bay gets redeveloped in the next few years.

If I am the owner of that garage I am sitting on it and continuing to rake in parking revenue while waiting for a cash out sometime in the mid 2020's.

875-950' looks about perfect for a Back Bay crown. Wish it could be at the south end of Christian Science Park.

Just showing what it will look whenever it finally happens. Not saying they're happening before or after anything else just showing what the back bay would look like once a few of these get built and if the air rights happens.

1. the nimby are getting old.

2. Boston is going to be a tall city in 5 years,

3. everyone is going to know we're out of places to build +150m so the Mayor will say, economics won't allow anything but a 900' tower with offices in the lower floors, hotel in the middle floors and condos up top.

4. the $$$ equation makes me think ~950 is perfect for a Boston supertall.

5. the Back Bay is so low, a 950' tower looks even better.

1000' or bust here. I truly believe it helps make our city iconic. Give me a skinny variation of One57 with a slightly different shape at the top. Simple but iconic. Shard-esque. Dalton St could turn into quite the row if the air rights are built out as well.

One57_from_Columbus_Circle,_May_2014.png

If you demap Cambria street there would definitely be enough room, and its kind of a pointless street.

Uh, Cambria Street provides truck access to the Hynes Convention Center. It is the major loading dock area. It is not going anywhere.

^I stand corrected then. I never noticed Cambria ducked under Dalton.

With all the restrictions imposed by the FAA, is it possible to build a 1000' tower in Boston?

Yes there are areas in and around Back Bay where 1000 foot towers are allowed and could be built but it is more difficult than in most similarly sized cities. This garage parcel could legally have a 1000+ foot tower going off the FAA height map for example.

Link to the Official FAA Height Limit Map

Also the height limit near the border is clearly slightly negotiable as the Four Seasons Tower is technically just over the border into the 500 foot height limit zone but was approved by the FAA for 755 feet.

Back