Design a Better Franklin Park

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder about this. The same could easily be said about the Arboretum. and Jamaica Pond. The surrounding residential densities are probably even lower, and yet both are heavily used, so much so that I find social distancing at the Arbs a challenge at times. I think many people come from further away to visit these two but would for whatever reason not consider going to Franklin Park.
Franklin Park has no "identity" beyond the Zoo and the Golf Course. So no one outside of the neighborhood considers going there if not for those purposes. The park is in an underprivileged neighborhood relative to other city parks, meaning that programming and design is less considered in general by the city. It's vastly underutilized as it is and the city could change that relatively easily. I'm not sure if the Golf Course needs to go to do it, but I sure wouldn't mind if the gold course went. I don't value the game of golf though.

Scott

Reaction score
Franklin Park is supposed to be the pendant of the necklace but unfortunately it is the end of the necklace. The Dorchesterway to the sea with a connection to the Harborwalk could be extraordinary

bakgwailo

Reaction score
Franklin Park is supposed to be the pendant of the necklace but unfortunately it is the end of the necklace. The Dorchesterway to the sea with a connection to the Harborwalk could be extraordinary
Supposedly will be constructed from the money the City is getting from the Winthrop Square garage tower.

Scott

Reaction score
There is money to improve Columbia Road which is a good start.

theSil

Reaction score

Crossposting this for visibility. What is now the golf course was designed by Olmsted to be "The Country Park". Some excerpts that highlight its intended use:

A large part of the Country Park is to be wooded, and adapted to the use of picnic and basket parties, especially small family parties.
A grateful quietude may be enjoyed in it by many thousand people at a time if they are not drawn into throngs by spectacular attractions, but allowed to distribute themselves as they are otherwise likely to do.
If [the Country Park] part of the Park is to have value for any other purpose, it is designed that it shall occur but incidentally and at no appreciable sacrifice of advantages for the quiet enjoyment of the natural scenery.

And my favorite:

Turf, for example, is to be in most parts preferred as kept short by sheep, rather than by lawn-mowers.

Last edited:

bakgwailo

Reaction score

Crossposting this for visibility. What is now the golf course was designed by Olmsted to be "The Country Park". Some excerpts that highlight its intended use:

And my favorite:

Pretty much quintessential Olmsted and his desire to give city/urban dwellers a bit of raw nature to enjoy.

Scott

Reaction score
I like the idea of a country park easily maintained by sheep that is designed to accommodate thousands of people instead of the golf course that serves far fewer and requires the constant attention of a maintenance staff armed with landscaping equipment and pallets of petroleum based fertilizers.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to see more Ungulate Lawn Maintenance in the 21st Century.