Developer seeks to build 'tiny apartments' in Providence

The developers have already scaled back this project due to neighborhood blowback. They then presented their revised plans at a recent public forum where they encountered continued NIMBY opposition.

Would not be surprised that many of these same people often complain of about the affordability and lack of housing in RI.

The developers have already scaled back this project due to neighborhood blowback. They then presented their revised plans at a recent public forum where they encountered continued NIMBY opposition.

Would not be surprised that many of these same people often complain of about the affordability and lack of housing in RI.

As much as I hate the standard NIMBY arguments and am all for building more/bigger/denser, I do understand the opposition to this one. There is a small apartment building across the street and some townhouses next door, but this is still a little out of scale for the neighborhood which is largely SFH and low-density multi-unit homes (2-3 units max per building). Perhaps more than that, I'm skeptical about "tiny apartments" having a significant impact on affordability. I suppose they may lure a few students out of shared apartment situations, but they otherwise have sort of a niche appeal (especially in a residential neighborhood this far from downtown) and they're ideal for the Airbnb/short term rental crowd which doesn't help availability or pricing for long term renters.

Reactions: FK4

Back