Developer to announce museum, hotel project in Providence

KentXie

Reaction score
Developer to announce museum, hotel project in Providence
July 25, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --A Baltimore-based development company plans to transform a former power plant in the city into a museum and hotel as part of a $139 million project.

The Struever Bros. project calls for the old South Street Power Plant to house more than 130,000 square feet of office space, a restaurant, roof garden, 122 hotel rooms and the new Heritage Harbor Museum, which would be Rhode Island's first museum affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution.

The project, called Dynamo House at Providence Point, will also be eligible for $50 million in state and federal tax credits. It was to be unveiled Tuesday.

The affiliation with the Smithsonian would allow the museum to host the institute's traveling exhibits and would also give it access to the Smithsonian collection.

"We like the mission of the museum and we embrace the economic-development impact potential of having a world-class Smithsonian-affiliated history museum," said Bill Struever, president of the company.

"I think Rhode Island is one of the only states that doesn't have a state museum. That was a bell-ringer for us," he added.

The company bought the former electric plant for $1 million and plans to spend $15 million to renovate two floors for the museum, Struever said. It also plans to replicate six of the smokestacks that once stretched from the top of the building; the smokestacks will stand 120 feet.

The plant was built between 1912 and 1925 by the Narragansett Electric Co. The company donated the plant to the Heritage Harbor Museum in 1999 after it was decommissioned several years earlier.

"We love challenging old buildings and this certainly qualifies," he said.

Here's a rendering

Day%20view%2005-15-06.JPG

Hmmm I never notice that bridge before. Is that new?

DarkFenX said:

are you sure english is your first language? 'HMM I neva notice that befoa. i haven't seen amewican die like that since abe rincoln'

OK OK alright. But dude may have a point. I always just assumed you were from asia but your editing really really sucks. I don't want to come off as an asshole but it takes two seconds to go over it. I'd say over half of your posts are for the most part incomprehensible. (I know many of mine are as well)

^I don't know, maybe I'm stupid, but what exactly was so horribly wrong in his post that you just had to comment about it? Yes, he missed a "d" at the end of "notice." Big deal!

Yes but he's a nice person and you are...well... a bigot.

Certainly can't deny it after that ^ post.

lexicon506 said:
^I don't know, maybe I'm stupid, but what exactly was so horribly wrong in his post that you just had to comment about it? Yes, he missed a "d" at the end of "notice." Big deal!

Maybe it was the missed a comma after the interjection.

Some people really suck on this forum, don't they?

Scott said:
Yes but he's a nice person and you are...well... a bigot.

Certainly can't deny it after that ^ post.

That I can. If an asian person were talking they'd miss that D. You know I'm right too. .. Abe RINCOLN

bosdevelopment said:
DarkFenX said:

are you sure english is your first language? 'HMM I neva notice that befoa. i haven't seen amewican die like that since abe rincoln'

OK OK alright. But dude may have a point. I always just assumed you were from asia but your editing really really sucks. I don't want to come off as an asshole but it takes two seconds to go over it. I'd say over half of your posts are for the most part incomprehensible. (I know many of mine are as well)

I don't understand what this added to the thread or the forum. You weren't even original or brave enough to point this out first. Dude already posted something saying how DarkFenX should proof read or type more carefully. He even did it without the blatant insults and racism.

Personally I understand what he's saying or trying to say in his posts. So he's not the best typist in the world or sometimes he misses punctuation and capitalization, big fucking deal. This isn't an English class, it's a discussion board. Get over yourself.

BostonSkyGuy said:
bosdevelopment said:
DarkFenX said:

I don't understand what this added to the thread or the forum. You weren't even original or brave enough to point this out first. Dude already posted something saying how DarkFenX should proof read or type more carefully. He even did it without the blatant insults and racism.

Personally I understand what he's saying or trying to say in his posts. So he's not the best typist in the world or sometimes he misses punctuation and capitalization, big fucking deal. This isn't an English class, it's a discussion board. Get over yourself.

Get a life man. Dude brought it up and I suggested that English wasn't his first language. Then DarkFenX brought up that English is in fact his first language and that he doesn't write well or edit or something along those lines. Now that I look back on his writings I realize Dude was right and his writing was really really awful. This is most likely due to the fact that he's too lazy to edit. Big deal.

Anyway man, I don't fuck with asia because them's peoples starvin n' shit and that's not baller.

DarkFenX said:

Wow, good eye. The answer is yes, kind of. Right now in that spot is the I-195 bridge, which is in the process of being relocated about 1/2 a mile south, just south of the hurricane barrier. Once the new bridge is in place, the old section of 195 and the bridge will be demolished, opening up the city and creating a whole new area for development downtown. The pic shows a rendering of a proposed pedestrian bridge, which the city plans to build in place of the old 195 bridge after it's demolished. While it's a very interesting project, it's still a ways from completion. I'm not exactly sure on timetables, but I believe the new section of 195 will begin to open to traffic in 2007, and be completely finished and open in 2009, while the demolition of the old section should be entirely complete in 2012.

195b.gif

The Dynamo House Power Plant is located right about where it says "Point Street Bridge" on the map.

dynamo-hh-plan001.jpg

The relocation of 195 opens up a lot of space for new development/parks in the area around Dynamo House.

Ok, I am just going to say it now so I don't need to keep on explaining it. I am not here to write a prize-winning essay with all the correct grammars and such. I am not graded here for writing with everything in place including punctuations and no run-on sentences.

Also, I didn't miss a 'd' there or at least I didn't mean to. The 'd' on my keyboard is not very sensitive. (Maybe it needs cleaning) I have to press really hard for it to appear and so I may have not noticed it when I posted it. Yes, you can bash me for the punctuations if you want but I don't deem them necessary here since you should be able to understand it if you studied English. (Which I presume you all did)

And I'm sorry if my posts are incomprehensive sometimes. I'll try to make it more understandable but let's keep this discussion from spreading to other threads. Just pm me instead. Of course if you guys want to keep bashing each other because it's been an incredibly stressful month with the Big Dig, hot weather, crappy mbta services, and slow development news being overtaken by the tunnel incident, then feel free.

A "Baller" from Brookline, BWA-HA-HA!!!!

Yo BosDevelopment Raps!

DarkFenX said:
And I'm sorry if my posts are incomprehensive sometimes. I'll try to make it more understandable but let's keep this discussion from spreading to other threads. Just pm me instead. Of course if you guys want to keep bashing each other because it's been an incredibly stressful month with the Big Dig, hot weather, crappy mbta services, and slow development news being overtaken by the tunnel incident, then feel free.

Not a big deal. You can rag on me for stupid posts.

Scott said:
A "Baller" from Brookline, BWA-HA-HA!!!!

Yo BosDevelopment Raps!

It's from this chappelle show that was on last night. I guess they had some episodes left over and they showed one on comedy central last night. Hilarious.

Back