"Dirty Old Boston"

Im not sure why one day the forum stopped displaying the photos here from links from instagram. You used to be able to just post the link and the photo would show up in the post, but not anymore. Not sure what changed.

I had no idea Edward Durell Stone had plans for Kendall Sq. I would have loved to see that. Although, in hindsight, we are probably better off.

No building has done more for the city than Rowes Wharf.

For the waterfront- yes. Back Bay would have to be the Prudential complex and now Paracel 12. The Convention Center was the catalyst for the seaport in acres of old warehouses, railroad tracks and parking lots. I think the Edison plant will be a big charge for the First Street side of Southie. The Flower Exchange project will be a major landmark on edge of South End although the preservation of the Cyclorama Blg / Arts Center and Piano Building are the landmark projects of the South End to me. Boston has had planning hic-ups but in general the city seems to be going in the right direction planning wise since the 1940s! Hopefully the 2030 housing plan and 2040 transportation plans come to fruition.

Texas congressional delegation made it clear that it would block NASA if they didn't get the space center. Kennedy knew this

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too. "

And finally, the space effort itself, while still in its infancy, has already created a great number of new companies, and tens of thousands of new jobs. Space and related industries are generating new demands in investment and skilled personnel, and this city and this State, and this region, will share greatly in this growth. What was once the furthest outpost on the old frontier of the West will be the furthest outpost on the new frontier of science and space. Houston, your City of Houston, with its Manned Spacecraft Center, will become the heart of a large scientific and engineering community. During the next 5 years the National Aeronautics and Space Administration expects to double the number of scientists and engineers in this area, to increase its outlays for salaries and expenses to $60 million a year; to invest some $200 million in plant and laboratory facilities; and to direct or contract for new space efforts over $1 billion from this Center in this City. "
"

Address at Rice University on the Nation's Space Effort | JFK Library

Harvard Square, 1955:

52081854869_8dcc868052_c.jpg

Between Brattle Sq. and Harvard Sq, 1950:

52081633098_86c71b8d43_c.jpg

Harvard Square, 1955:

52081854869_8dcc868052_c.jpg

Between Brattle Sq. and Harvard Sq, 1950:

52081633098_86c71b8d43_c.jpg
we really should bring two-way streets back to Harvard and make some of the side streets ped/bike only by closing them to regular vehicles

we really should bring two-way streets back to Harvard and make some of the side streets ped/bike only by closing them to regular vehicles
I would like that as well, but the one complication I see is with two traffic lanes plus bike lanes, one side of the street would have to have parking eliminated, to fit everything in. As long as the businesses are okay with that, it would work.

I would like that as well, but the one complication I see is with two traffic lanes plus bike lanes, one side of the street would have to have parking eliminated, to fit everything in. As long as the businesses are okay with that, it would work.

i guess there are a lot of conservative motorists who own businesses there who see things through a windshield perspective. But, I cannot imagine that in reality most people get to and linger in Harvard Square by car. I asked a friend to visit me there from Malden last month and he basically told me to take a hike (or really, meet somewhere where there's more parking).

Back