"Dirty Old Boston"

Old st petersburg is an extremely beautiful city. That being said the beautiful historic part of st petersburg is only probably about a quarter of the city. The vast majority of the city is endless sprawling residential high rises that are essentially commie blocks on steroids. There is actually a famous apartmennt block in the suburbs that is so huge it holds 10-20,000 people in 1 building. Its called Novy Okkervil and its absolutely massive.

Novy Okkervil
View attachment 56650

St petersburg also has europes tallest skyscraper, lakhta center.
View attachment 56651

Its essentially located all the way on the outskirts of the city in the middle of nowhere.

The suburbs are not really promoted and the tourists dont go out there, so not many ppl outside of russia hear about them, but thats where most avg russians live around st petersburg.

This is what the vast majority of the city looks like outside of the historic core.

View attachment 56652
View attachment 56653
View attachment 56654
Ouch! That is painful looking. Thanks for the clarification.

Aerial from the 1970's. Make sure to click into flickr because the largest version has extremely high detail for this type of picture. (over 5k x 5k whereas the one posted below is 2k x 2k):

Boston Aerial View by Salem State Archives, on Flickr
I would date that photo as 1970. The Rutherford Avenue and Gilmore Bridge construction looks like it is just starting. By 1971 it was further along than this photo.

I would date that photo as 1970. The Rutherford Avenue and Gilmore Bridge construction looks like it is just starting. By 1971 it was further along than this photo.
Interesting. Since 177 looks to be nearly topped off, I'd have assumed '71 or '72 (but we're kind of splitting hairs here).

Interesting. Since 177 looks to be nearly topped off, I'd have assumed '71 or '72 (but we're kind of splitting hairs here).
In any case it is the very early 1970s. The large amount of rail yards in the Seaport district at that time is amazing.

1728780899073.png

https://www.facebook.com/share/vbtxS4ZXXX1zDqsV/?mibextid=K35XfP

Never knew there was another bridge in front of the bu bridge at st marys st.

That shot also illustrates exactly why the I-90 throat is permanently screwed up.

Back