"Dirty Old Boston"

This pic looks way older but is actually from 2006. Here's the Seaport I remember!

1691422996726.jpeg

Does anyone have an aerial from the early 90s? I would love to check my memories from my annual trips to MacWorld Boston at the WTC and Bayside.

That bottom photo is how I remember the Seaport of my childhood. We'd drive down Summer Street to get to 93 or the big post office or whatever, and it was just a desert. You could see Jimmy's from the intersection at D Street. It was like you left Southie proper, then drove through the plains until you got to the cluster at Fort Point.

Thanks! That bottom one is early 90’s with the courthouse under construction. I can also see the old Slade Groton warehouse by Poly Esta’s

I remember riding the shuttle buses between WTC and Bayside down the haul road.

The Bear that that was outside the FAO store at the corner of Boylston and Berkeley now lives at the Tufts entrance on Washington St. I just remember the one FAO store in Boston. I don't remember the one in Copley, but that entrance shot looks like Copley. Great find on the photos!

View attachment 39233

Whatever happened to the giant teddy bear I used to see it a lot on Boylston Street in front of a toy store!!!! :)

West Cambridge, 1962, looking east with Alewife Brook Parkway in the foreground

Is that a Drive-In theater?

Can't believe that Strip Mall with the Apple Cinema has lasted all these years... that's a huge chunk of underdeveloped land. Also can see the rail spur that went behind the Apple Cinema. No idea where that ended.

When was Danehy Park built? That was all a dump back before the 70s right?

The drive-in became the large Eversource substation, which maintains the distinctive wedge-shaped footprint of a drive-in.

Also can see the rail spur that went behind the Apple Cinema. No idea where that ended.
That's the Watertown Branch. It went by Spot Pond, through Watertown, and rejoined the Fitchburg Line at Waltham Station.

West Cambridge, 1962, looking east with Alewife Brook Parkway in the foreground

53128599721_a391e3777d_b.jpg
:
I wish this was higher resolution. I can’t tell if the pixels are lying or was the Watertown branch grade separated crossing Fresh Pond Parkway?

I wish this was higher resolution. I can’t tell if the pixels are lying or was the Watertown branch grade separated crossing Fresh Pond Parkway?
It was not grade separated. I grew up in the neighborhood back in the 50s and 60s.

Back