Don't Cry For The Old Hippy

Lurker

Reaction score
I doubt any one person, or even group of people, will make a big difference. Lots of individuals continue to try, and they are what keep Boston 'up there,' along with the universities. But for true change to occur, an entire population will need to change their thinking. It's probably quite generational. The trend of 'progressive youth' will hopefully positively affect the city, but it won't happen until the youth grow up. Hopefully the progressive attitude stays intact.

Hate to break it to you but 'progressive youths' never grow up. Look at all the hippies from the 68' generation, they never grew up and accepted responsibility as adults. It's all about looking good, possibly doing entirely ineffective 'charity' work which doesn't involve getting hands dirty, to one's peers and getting laid. Why do you think half the 'go green' nitwits are flying around the world, leaving all the lights on at night, driving monster SUVs, importing everything, and buying McMansions as soon as they can? It's all a load of gilded feel good garbage for yet another generation that wants to feel like adults, but not accept the real responsibilities.

Look back far enough and you'll see the same slogans and bullshit pedaled for almost a century. It's amounted to nothing vast excepting the pile of debt a future generation must then carry.

Re: Rose Kennedy Greenway

Look at all the hippies from the 68' generation, they never grew up and accepted responsibility as adults...It's amounted to nothing vast excepting the pile of debt a future generation must then carry.
Didn't some of them sign on to Ron Paul?

Didn't some of them sign on to Ron Paul?

Eh... I'd say most would vote for a fetid corpse if it had a D next to its name and the remainder would be split between the WWP's shell parties, Green Party/Rainbow whatever (although these people usually fall in the former's orbit), Lyndon LaRouche, and the anarchists (somehow they don't see the irony of being organized).

Off topic, but...

Lurker said:
Look back far enough and you'll see the same slogans and bullshit pedaled for almost a century. It's amounted to nothing vast excepting the pile of debt a future generation must then carry.

Looks, I hate the Boomers and much as the next guy, but are you honestly suggesting that they had no bearing on the civil rights movement of the 60's or that the civil rights movement was 'nothing vast'?

The Civil Rights movement was co-opted by radicals, shakedown artists, and cause-whore-we-could-care-less-but-it-gets-us-dates-band-wagoners. Look at the number of people that actually did important things versus those whom merely showed up for the party and to reap profit. Those are the people I'm calling out on the carpet.

I didn't know the triumphs of the civil rights movement were merely "profits to be reaped" by lazy free-riders. That's funny, coming from a fucking libertarian.

Damn ..what is this ... Fox News's comment board. Come one folks, lets get back on topic.

ccca

blade_bltz,

The majority of good achieved by the Civil Rights Movement was done by a very small and highly dedicated group of moral individuals who never gave up in the face of adversity. Most of the dumb hippies whom celebrate the 60s are people who claim to be part of a movement, but never really did anything except maybe stand at the edge of a crowd, and ran away as soon as things got the least bit dicey. They never did a damn thing and only starting taking credit when the majority of the situation was resolved, when it was both safe and fashionable to take credit.

Think of all the people who show up late at a party and then go on to brag the next day as if they had been there the entire night. Or the large number of Frenchmen whom after the Second World War claimed to be part of the resistance, when in reality they were collaborators. It's the same kind of crap usually perpetrated by those embarrassed they lacked the will to take action or were part of the losing side. An entire generation claiming credit for something that was really achieved by a brave few.

blade_bltz,

The majority of good achieved by the Civil Rights Movement was done by a very small and highly dedicated group of moral individuals who never gave up in the face of adversity.

This is true, but I still think they never would have been able to achieve what they did without that massive crowd of noisy lay-abouts around them. Strength in numbers and all that.

The powers-that-be weren't really all that concerned about MLK, they were worried about the huge crowd he attracted, etc, etc..

Hmm...lessons in reality are no fun. I still have idealistic academia to look forward to!

Lurker, what if a few progressive youths grew up, and became progressive doers? Are you arguing that it doesn't happen or what?

I'm ridiculously idealistic, I admit that freely, but I strongly believe that no good can come from sitting around perpetuating the current state of affairs. Even if there are a vast majority of people who like to label themselves as progressive (there are,) what about the few who really are progressive and truly change society?

Where is that, LES? It's probably the only one left. It should be preserved in ruins like the Gedachtniskirche in Berlin, to remind people of ca. 1981 New York. Also: Kennedy Fried Chicken! There's a branding strategy!

Gotta be Harlem. The LES don't look that bad anymore.

Edit: Yes Harlem, the file name says so.

"Progressive". Love that word. Progressive = Menshevik.

Back