DOT studys light rail to Dudley

found5dollar

Reaction score
I couldn't find another thread to wrap this into so I started a new one (feel free to move if appropriate)

Apparently the Rochester, Dorchester, Mattapan transit study has just about come to an end and they have modeled 5 alternatives. The alternatives are:
1) area-wide key routes approach to bus stop spacing
2) increasing the frequency of service on the next tier of non-key routes
3) express bus service along the existing 28 route
4) light rail service from Government Center to Dudley Station
5) extending the light rail service to Mattapan

Unless I am mistaken this is the first time I can remember any part of the transit agency looking into bringing light rail down this corridor even though we all discuss it here quite frequently.

RDM Transit needs study website:
http://app1.massdot.state.ma.us/RDM/index.html

Most recent meeting presentation:
http://app1.massdot.state.ma.us/RDM/downloads/AdvGrp/AG_MtgPres_011012.pdf

Most recent meeting minutes:
http://app1.massdot.state.ma.us/RDM/downloads/AdvGrp/AG_minutes011012pdf.pdf

List of Potential recommendations:
http://app1.massdot.state.ma.us/RDM/downloads/Potential_Recommendations.pdf

Even if nothing comes of this study, I find the whole thing fascinating.

I find it funny that the LRT options all assume a drop in overall ridership and an increase in automotive traffic while touting improved service and a decrease in the need for transfers. If anything not having to make multiple transfers is going to increase ridership further and decrease automotive trips. There are many people whom simply will not ride buses if they have to transfer between multiple lines because of the uncertainty of scheduling and reliability of buses.

LRT to Dudley and beyond, in addition to DMU style operation of the Fairmont rail line, has the potential to dramatically transform Roxbury more than any other government initiative every proposed for the neighborhood. It's the same low hanging fruit as the Somerville and Medford Green Line extensions, if only our politicians were less concerned about patronage and more adept at noticing transit's ability to transform dense neighborhoods into economic powerhouses.

Hell, I'd barely drive anymore if a Green Line extension was at the end of my block instead of the Silver Li(n)e.

Light rail to Roxbury is a non-starter until the state rebuilds the Central Subway to get rid of bottlenecks and expands capacity. The problem is that would be the Big Dig 2.0.

Wasn't there going to be express-Silver Line like service a couple years ago and the city killed it or something?

The central subway isn't at capacity. It used to run far more trams through it, with more surface routes feeding in, than it does now. The limitations are mostly imposed by the crummy signal system, which if upgraded to 21st century standards, could easily handle another green line branch or three.

Wasn't there going to be express-Silver Line like service a couple years ago and the city killed it or something?

The T had millions of stimulus dollars waved in front of its face to build the 28X Silver Line extension along a dedicated ROW. It was a one-time offer, with an extremely short timeframe to begin construction.

It was presented to the community aaaaaand... community leaders began to freak out.

Basically:

T: "Here's this plan!"
CL: "Why didn't you present it to us in private first?"
T: "Because we don't have the time for this. We just got the offer, and whipped-up some plans as fast as we could. It's either spend the money now, or never spend it."
CL: "We can't let you build it! We weren't engaged properly!"
T: "We're really sorry, OK?! We can have community meetings to discuss it, and we'll work on implementing your suggestions!"
CL: "NO! YOU CANNOT BUILD THIS!"
T: "What's wrong with the plan?"
CL: "The median of Melena Cass was just landscaped, so that money and time would be wasted! AND YOU DIDN'T ENGAGE US PRIVATELY!"
T: "OK, sorry. Yeah, we know the timing sucks, but this wasn't our call. What can we do?"
CL:"NOT BUILD IT!!!!!!"
T: "Are you sure? We may not have money for a project like this again in your children's lifetimes. And it immediately goes back to the bottom of the priority list.
CL: "DON'T BUILD IT!""
T: Fine.

The central subway isn't at capacity. It used to run far more trams through it, with more surface routes feeding in, than it does now. The limitations are mostly imposed by the crummy signal system, which if upgraded to 21st century standards, could easily handle another green line branch or three.

I don't know... I guess I believe it when I see it. To me, it is at capacity and the only solution is a rebuild of the central tunnel - either heavy rail with light rail feeders or quadruple tracking the tunnel.

I know you said it handled more lines back then, but how fast did it go? How much did train size then and now are affected?

The T had millions of stimulus dollars waved in front of its face to build the 28X Silver Line extension along a dedicated ROW. It was a one-time offer, with an extremely short timeframe to begin construction.

It was presented to the community aaaaaand... community leaders began to freak out.

Basically:

T: "Here's this plan!"
CL: "Why didn't you present it to us in private first?"
T: "Because we don't have the time for this. We just got the offer, and whipped-up some plans as fast as we could. It's either spend the money now, or never spend it."
CL: "We can't let you build it! We weren't engaged properly!"
T: "We're really sorry, OK?! We can have community meetings to discuss it, and we'll work on implementing your suggestions!"
CL: "NO! YOU CANNOT BUILD THIS!"
T: "What's wrong with the plan?"
CL: "The median of Melena Cass was just landscaped, so that money and time would be wasted! AND YOU DIDN'T ENGAGE US PRIVATELY!"
T: "OK, sorry. Yeah, we know the timing sucks, but this wasn't our call. What can we do?"
CL:"NOT BUILD IT!!!!!!"
T: "Are you sure? We may not have money for a project like this again in your children's lifetimes. And it immediately goes back to the bottom of the priority list.
CL: "DON'T BUILD IT!""
T: Fine.

This project was the West End demolition of community involvement. Time to turn this trend back around to some reasonable compromise with top-down planning.

I don't know... I guess I believe it when I see it. To me, it is at capacity and the only solution is a rebuild of the central tunnel - either heavy rail with light rail feeders or quadruple tracking the tunnel.

Stop me if this post sounds like it belongs in Crazy Transit Pitches instead, but how about doing a bit of fundamental reorganizing of the Green Line? I envision a five phase plan.

Phase I: Reconstruct Kenmore, Hynes, Copley and Prudential Stations and the tracks between them to connect the B, C, and E branches directly in a sort of 'double-outbound' train routing. In other words, E branch trains would move from Prudential, to Copley, Hynes, Kenmore, then onto either the B or C branch. (D Branch trains would now run the entirety of the line instead of terminating at Government Center.) As part of the reconstruction of these stations, lay new track in preparation for Green Line heavy rail alongside (beneath?) present tracks heading towards Lechmere.

Phase II: Construct new Green Line heavy rail tracks beneath Science Park, Lechmere and the Green Line Extension. Do this without disrupting present light rail service to those stations, if possible.

Phase III: Suspend Green Line service between Arlington and North Station, remove existing tracks and lay new tracks capable of supporting heavy rail, connecting the heavy rail tracks past Science Park to the heavy rail at the reconstructed Copley, Hynes and Kenmore stations. Roll out Green Line heavy rail service from Kenmore to College Avenue.

Phase IV: Bury sections of the rerouted B, C and E branches where practical and expedient. If possible, restore E branch service to Forest Hills/Arborway via a new tunnel. Optionally, rebrand or recolor these branches to distinguish them from the Heavy Rail Green Line. (Brown Line? Bronze Line? Copper Line?)

Phase V: Suspend Green Line service along the "D" Branch. Replace existing tracks with heavy rail tracks, building new stations and reconstructing any platforms as necessary. Bring the entire line inside of fare control. Start from Fenway and continue outbound, running the new Heavy Rail Green Line trains as far outbound as possible with each new station that is completed (where expedient.)

Last edited:

I know you said it handled more lines back then, but how fast did it go? How much did train size then and now are affected?

Similar underground speeds, and they used 3-car trains of PCC's regularly back then. The main difference is that they pushed the limits more back then on approach distance between cars and having 2 trains unloading on one platform at the same time. Higher rate of fender-benders back then from operator error, so the T spaced vehicles out more cautiously when the heavier LRV's started running. And has gotten ever more conservative about it since (you'll see they almost never pull 2 trains into Park St. inbound at the same time anymore). Surface traffic delays have increased, but that's almost all Comm Ave. and the student dwell times. The B used to function a lot better when the A-branch split at Packards Corner because traffic dispersed there evenly and the really bogged-down stretch to Harvard Ave. was doubled-up by both lines. So more trains wasn't an issue; a single long route not supplemented by any additional service or short-turns on the school bus half is the schedule-keeping problem.

These are the other lines that used to use the subway:
Dudley Sq. via Boylston (ended 1938)
Sullivan Sq. via Main St. and North Station (ended 1948)
Sullivan Sq. via Bunker Hill St. and North Station (ended 1949)
City Point via Boylston (ended 1953)
Egleston Sq. via Boylston (cut back to Lenox St., 1956)
Watertown via Kenmore (suspended 1967, active for non-revenue moves to 1994)
Arborway via Huntington Ave. (ended 1985)

Short-turns that used to use the subway concurrent with the full branches:
Brookline Village via Huntington (Arborway short-turn, ended 1938)
Lenox St. via Boylston (Egleston short-turn, ended 1961)
BU/Braves Field Loop (BC short-turn @ Nickerson Field, ended 1962)
Oak Sq. via Kenmore (Watertown short-turn, ended 1967)
Union Sq. via Kenmore (Watertown short-turn, ended ???)
Heath St. via Huntington (Arborway, still active, ran run rush-hour only until 1985)
Brigham Circle via Huntington (Arborway, still active, ran rush-hour with Arborway and Heath)

For 2 brief years ('59-61) the subway had Watertown, BC, CC, Arborway, Lenox St., the short-turns, and the new Riverside Line all at once. So that's +2½ full branches over today.

It can definitely handle a lot more than it currently does. Main thing needed is CBTC signaling to finally retire the century old humans-with-clipboards dispatching and auto-enforce stops and speed limits. Then you can bunch the trains much closer and double-up inside stations, and run the grade-separated D end-to-end to Medford without getting hosed by the surface branches. The T gets more and more conservative about spacing with each ever more expensive car order, so that rolls back the spacing closer to what it used to be 40+ years ago without excessive risk of operator error totaling a million-dollar purchase.

Second, the new inbound crossover they're putting in at Park inbound is going to solve a big existing bottleneck. They can finally use the inside track for thru-service trains instead of looping, and that allows them to waive cars going past Gov't Ctr. ahead of cars turning there so there's no longer a backup at GC where a North Station/Lechmere train that has to unload at the far end of the platform is stuck behind a GC-turning train unloading at the near end. Also clears Park out faster by having half the trains not have to deal with pedestrians crossing the track. That's already fully funded...construction was scheduled to start this year, finish end of '13 but haven't heard a peep about it lately.

And of course, they continue torturing us by not turning on signal priority on the surface branches...by far the easiest fix for blown schedules.

Other stuff they can do that doesn't require blowing up the whole subway:
-- Short-turn on the B. MassHighway has a (delayed) project to reconfigure Comm Ave. from Packards to Warren to eliminate the express/local lane setup, and relocate the tracks to a new and wider center median. Putting a pocket track in between Harvard Ave. and Griggs would give the B that short-turn it needs so frigging badly. The room will be there because this is going to be a WIDE, C-line like median. Are they going to care enough to do it, or fart this opportunity away?

-- Reconfiguring GC into a full 4-track station with connecting tracks cutting across the platforms to tie into the loop tracks. Requires a major change to ped movements across the wedge, as they'd have to be corralled into single crosswalks instead of having free movement, but would eliminate all remaining bunching on the 2 tracks between Park and GC and open up the 4 tracks to Haymarket for thru service.

-- D-to-E surface tracks Brookline Village to Huntington. This is an MPO-rated low priority project for non-revenue moves between maintenance facilities, but some supplemental service through here would really alleviate a lot of crunch at Kenmore. Sox games in particular. Just fumigate the downtown crush with a GC-Brookline Village-GC constant loop until everyone's been dispersed. Can safely avoid the Brookline Ave./Huntington intersection by peeling out on River Rd. and crossing to Pearl St. through the auto chop shop property.

-- (long-term) Copley Jct. replacement. Go abandoned Tremont St. tunnel, 2 block extension under the Pike, hang a right under the NEC (Worcester Line tracks to avoid hitting the Orange tunnel), new Green Line stop at Back Bay, rejoin Huntington at Prudential right where the current tunnel straightens. If Washington St. replacement service is using 2 of the 4 tracks in the abandoned tunnel, the other 2 + a wye would handle this and thru-routing from the D and E to Dudley. Shifts the E forward onto the 4-track Boylston-Park segment which can (and has) merge branchlines much more smoothly than Copley or Kenmore, and does so at higher speed without having to take Boylston curve. For megaprojects this is probably cheaper than doing anything to the current subway. The big lesson of Silver Line Phase III: urban tunneling is a LOT cheaper under existing rail ROW's or any 1960's urban renewal wasteland (i.e. Pike canyon and frontage streets) than the historic street grid. If they ever want to pull SLIII out of mothballs, the only tunnel that makes any engineering sense is light rail through the old tunnel, then burrowing under the NEC to South Station. Between Washington, SLIII, and Back Bay/Huntington there's a lot of potential use for those 4 abandoned tracks down there.

Mix of long, medium, and short term...1 per decade major improvements. Signal priority can be turned on this @#$% summer if anyone at the T gave a crap. The Park inbound crossovers will be open for business by 2014. There's an unfunded mandate for FY2016 to study CBTC. That's the 2010's decade.

2020's: They'll have some sort of go/no-go decision on CBTC by decade's end, and hopefully an implementation plan that'll get it online within a dozen years. D-to-E connectoris a pretty basic one that'll come by the time there's a new car order to buff out the fleet to 4-car trains and greater need for a track connection to shuttle equipment.

2030's: Well...I think they're blowing a golden opportunity now by not considering a GC track redesign as part of the pending renovations, but that's one they can revisit in 20 years. Maybe Silver Line completion and/or Urban Ring get put back on the front burner, and design starts advancing on options for the Tremont tunnel.

2040's: God help us, maybe before we're all dead there'll be some service in that tunnel distributing traffic around, a Copley Jct. replacement, and conceptual plans being kicked around to bury the E from Northeastern to the D at Brookline Village.

F-Line -- Great Disertation

suppose that after the Green Line to Medford and the rebuild of Gov't Center that there's about 1B$ available in the 2025 to 2035 window for construction

How would you spend it (assume current costs for materials and labor):

I suspect that the rest should be relegated to crazy transit pitches

F-Line -- Great Disertation

suppose that after the Green Line to Medford and the rebuild of Gov't Center that there's about 1B$ available in the 2025 to 2035 window for construction

How would you spend it (assume current costs for materials and labor):

I suspect that the rest should be relegated to crazy transit pitches

The cheapies/short-termers. . .

-- Assume signal priority on the C and E is a trivial one they could do next year for about $200K max if somebody got a boot in the ass to get on that.

-- B signal priority has to wait for MassHighway to rebuild the road out to Packards Corner and get rid of the analog signals. Assume similar trivial expense as the C to wire up the sensors, but expect it to take MassHighway a decade to get the traffic signals replaced.

-- Park inbound crossover is funded and ready to go. Unless there's an inexplicable wait for construction to begin, that's online for 2014 and a BIG and immediate improvement for C and E schedules.

-- If MassHighway ever puts the Packards-Warren rebuild back on track, the T gets a new reservation paid for on the EOT's dime (since it's not their project). Install a Blandford-style pocket track and mini-yard between Harvard Ave. and Griggs and start short-turning trains there. They will seriously have an angry mob wielding fire and pitchforks if they don't do this, and it's cheap as hell to do while they're rebuilding the line anyway. If that reduces service to BC, start extending a few C's to BC over the Chestnut Hill Ave. tracks to bulk up the terminal and let the sparser Chestnut Hill Ave.-Harvard Ave. segment deal with the slightly longer headways.

Less cheapie, but prudent/necessary within 10 years. . .

-- All-doors proof-of-payment at long last so the @#$% front-door dwell times aren't so insane. Easy way to do this: in-train security cams monitoring the doors. They're already trialing those on a few Orange Line cars as an equipment test. Do random sampling of the day's recordings to see where people are entering the rear doors without paying, and assign ride-along plainclothes transit police checks accordingly to write tickets. That'll deter 'em in a hurry at greater farebox recovery from improved schedules than whatever natural leakage they'd have overall from rear-door evaders. This must happen on the B.

-- D-to-E connection. When Innerbelt carhouse is open and they increase the fleet to run 4-car trains, it's going to be tougher and more congested to move equipment around during midday shift-changes when cars get reassigned. That's why it's an MPO-rated project even if its primary purpose is non-revenue moves. But some judicious revenue usage helps a lot. This is probably $10M or a little less, which is not too bad for what it brings. They need to get some more short-turn routings going because that was the one rush hour feature of the old days that's missing today and imbalancing the end-to-end loads.

-- Tunnel bottleneck fixes. Widening Boylston curve by shaving back the outbound-side corner wall a few feet, fixing the low-ceiling pinch point on the C/D portal tunnel. Boylston helps, but this has less to do with schedule savings than allowing them to finally buy cheaper, more reliable off-shelf LRV's that require no system-specific mods other than the T's standard door configuration. As is, those great Kinki AmeriTram cars can just barely fit the radius of Boylston with no room to spare, but would need roof mods because of the C/D tunnel. Less money overall to do a one-time clearance fix than have to tack on a 10-20% premium to a car order every 15 years for invasive customization. And that's a lot more money to do other stuff, and buy more cars for things like 4-car trains.

The painful but so very very worth it. . .

-- CBTC. This is the holy grail for higher speeds, closer spacing, fewer stoplights in the tunnels, and loading 2 trains on 1 platform at most stops. It's hella expensive, but this is the subway-saving revolution they've been waiting for. And they've got an opportunity to get started because North Station-Lechmere already has the fiber laid to replace the signals with something new, the extensions will have that fiber cable bandwidth from Day 1 regardless of whether they're on the old system or not, and the D is due for a roadbed and cabling total rebuild as an unfunded FY2016 mandate or else that'll be the next deferred maintenance pit. Get moving with the study and see if they can start when the D has to get done over. Build the extensions so it can be quick-converted. And then the only pure-pain replacement is Kenmore-North Station and Northeastern-Copley. This needs to happen, and if they have another fatal accident the Surface Transportation Board may put them on a compliance plan to install it whether they can afford it or not so they better have their asses well-covered by initiating that study soon.

-- GC station 4-track reconfiguration. I'd also study whether the Park-GC tunnel can be widened at all...even if it's only 3 tracks (2 inbound, 1 outbound would work because the capacity benefits trains at end of their runs more than trains at beginning of their runs). I suspect the engineering's going to be a "Hell no!" on that, but get a definitive answer and put that question to rest. That's the only invasive modification to the historic subway worth considering at all.

...and then we're in the Crazy Transit pitches stuff. Let's at least see by 2025 a re-draft of the conceptual designs for SL Phase III and Urban Ring Phase II northside half as light rail connecting to the Green Line, and prioritization of which one to formally design/prelim-EIS/seek funding on. The re-draft as Green Line appendages should eliminate so much of the tunneling and ROW widening bloat from the insane BRT plans, consolidate redundant infrastructure, allow it to be built in smaller chunks but still have each chunk be functional, and pool resources with other projects (e.g. SL III piggybacking on top of the N-S Link's NEC portal tunnel to South Station, Transitway getting dual bus/LRV treatment with rails in pavement, Copley Jct. replacement/Back Bay re-route of the E being provisioned with the SL build out the Tremont tunnel, Kenmore loop being reconfigured for the UR to boomerang trains out to Longwood without need for the billion-dollar cross-Brookline tunnel). I don't expect any of this stuff to advance before 2030 if then, but at least get the project priority on them up off the mat next decade with a sensible, non-boondoggle conceptual redesign that gives them a starting point.

Last edited:
Since Boylston to Park is quad-tracked, could a Dudley via Tremont Street Tunnel train somehow turn at Park? In which case, little if any capacity would be at all reduced in the central subway...?

Since Boylston to Park is quad-tracked, could a Dudley via Tremont Street Tunnel train somehow turn at Park? In which case, little if any capacity would be at all reduced in the central subway...?

Sure. Arborway used to permanently turn at Park while Heath short-turns ran through. They can slice it up however they want. Park loop isn't going away when the new inbound crossovers go in. It'll still act as the walk of shame for B's that are hopelessly late.

Back