Downeast Maine

nomc

Reaction score
World's tallest flagpole could bring thousands of jobs to Downeast

The proposed park would be spread out over 2500 acres and is estimated to cost $1B. Yes, that's 1 billion.

From the article:

Flagpole of Freedom Park would include memorial walls inscribed with 24 million veterans’ names, six “halls of history” with educational exhibits, a tourism and retail center with a 4,000-seat music venue, and the namesake structure, 1,461 feet tall.

“That’s a big pole,” said the park project's leader, Morrill Worcester, at the launch announcement. "We started out thinking it would be 200 feet, but that was 13 years ago."

Now, is this going to happen? They're mentioning $660 donations:

Much of the park would offer free admission, but supporters chipping in at least $660 would receive VIP access and other perks.

Flagpole of Freedom Park won’t disclose how its fundraising is going so far, but has promised to return pledges if the organization can’t raise 25% of the capital.

“We're convinced," he told Mainebiz, "this is going to happen."

rendering_from_video.jpg

hero-shot-sunset.png

globe-outer-1-1.png

exterior-view-1-edited-1.png

graphic_from_video.jpg

I don't know why I hate this so much? It's like we're announcing who we are to the East?

I'd much rather build something useful like:
  • A Seattle-like Space Needle in Portland.
  • Replace the Veteran's, Tukey's, or Casco Bay Bridge with something like Bunker Hill Bridge.
  • Invest in a commuter rail
  • Build a 30-Story residential building
  • Redesign Franklin Arterial

I have my doubts that this vision will ever get off the ground and I'll stash the concept away in the same folder with the plans for cable cars across Portland harbor connected to a 30 story tower on the South Portland side! I do applaud the project's leader for his foresight and efforts for a noble cause and hopefully something can get accomplished in a more modest scale that would fit in better with Washington County's infrastructure and economy.

World's tallest flagpole could bring thousands of jobs to Downeast

The proposed park would be spread out over 2500 acres and is estimated to cost $1B. Yes, that's 1 billion.

From the article:

Flagpole of Freedom Park would include memorial walls inscribed with 24 million veterans’ names, six “halls of history” with educational exhibits, a tourism and retail center with a 4,000-seat music venue, and the namesake structure, 1,461 feet tall.

“That’s a big pole,” said the park project's leader, Morrill Worcester, at the launch announcement. "We started out thinking it would be 200 feet, but that was 13 years ago."

Now, is this going to happen? They're mentioning $660 donations:

Much of the park would offer free admission, but supporters chipping in at least $660 would receive VIP access and other perks.

Flagpole of Freedom Park won’t disclose how its fundraising is going so far, but has promised to return pledges if the organization can’t raise 25% of the capital.

“We're convinced," he told Mainebiz, "this is going to happen."

View attachment 23417

View attachment 23418

View attachment 23419

View attachment 23420

View attachment 23421
Do they honestly believe they are going to be able to attract enough people to this remote area to make it anywhere viable? I fully support our veterans but this project seems as though it will do more to support the Worcester family. It also smacks of nationalism which makes it very unattractive.

This project feels like an onion article.
I had to remind myself it wasn't the first time I read it - especially this quote:

Back