Downtown Lynn

Lowell is its own hub city, but Lynn is just a satellite of Boston. Some places in a metro area, such as Boston, need to be a place for poor people, and Lynn just happens to be that place for now. If the Blue line ever makes to to Lynn, it will become gentrified and the poor people will move on to somewhere else.

But Lowell is still part of the Boston MSA, albeit a bit further away. I feel like some decent city planners could utilize the strong bones the city already has . I also don't think these changes would necessarily have to hurt the poorer population that live there. Chelsea isn't exactly a wealthy city, but I find its downtown area to be more walkable and interesting.

If the Blue line ever makes to to Lynn, it will become gentrified and the poor people will move on to somewhere else.

Yeah, like Lowell. It's not like Lynn is really all that cheap now.

Yeah, like Lowell. It's not like Lynn is really all that cheap now.

I've always thought that a blue line extension to Lynn would be a waste of money. Just increase the frequency of the commuter rail using DMUs. 3-4 trips an hour would be fine.

I've always thought that a blue line extension to Lynn would be a waste of money. Just increase the frequency of the commuter rail using DMUs. 3-4 trips an hour would be fine.

I moved a big debate about that out of this thread. Link's on the previous page.

Demo work has begun (3 buildings) on a site next to the MBTA station. Not sure what it is going to be. None of these Lynn sites seem to have much signage (VE'd)
Looks like a very desolate town (i.e., no people). Great photos nonetheless.

Demo work has begun (3 buildings) on a site next to the MBTA station. Not sure what it is going to be. None of these Lynn sites seem to have much signage (VE'd)

Too bad. The buildings look quite nice - wonderful, well-built old masonry structures that meet the street well. They just needed some infill to fill the gaps that post-war "progress" left behind.

That's because it was 8AM-ish Sunday morning.
Thanks, I thought something like that after I posted. The photos remind me a bit of a photo book I saw about 30 years ago of Tokyo scenes with no people in it. I really liked the photos and wish I had bought the book at the time.

Spent about half a day in Lynn. Amazing public art, which I chronicled on Twitter here:

Also a few shots of new developments in downtown:

IMG_20210904_093211852_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210904_124133868_HDR.jpg

Back