Doyles | 3484 Washington st | Jamaica Plain

I'm not sure what your neighborhood grocery store is, but BFresh/Stop & Shop in Davis Square is 11,000 square feet. So more than twice the size of the space right in this project and still very much a small grocery store.
It's a privately owned, but similar small factor/urban grocer format to the BFresh concept. Big enough to cover most of my grocery needs, and small enough to slot in to a fairly crowded neighborhood. Something half its size would seem more like a large convenience store or Trader Joe's, but not a full fledged grocery store.

I liked Doyle's but I remain skeptical of this plan to "preserve it" which really just means keep the name.

Doyle's works because it's old, but charming in a oldschool Boston kind of way. It had a very nice pub atmosphere in it with reasonable prices. Bizarro Doyle's looks like it wants to be an upmarket gastropub with expensive cocktails and $10 beers. There's a place for that in the market and I don't fault anyone for wanting to go to such a place, but it is not Doyle's and should pick a new name and start with a fresh history.

Exactly. It might become a nice space and enjoyable restaurant named Doyle's, but it won't be the Doyle's we all knew and loved.

Exactly. It might become a nice space and enjoyable restaurant named Doyle's, but it won't be the Doyle's we all knew and loved.

The Utah Jazz
Indianapolis Colts
LA Lakers

It reminds me of so many sports teams names that also have no respect for the true origins of their trademarks.

Back