Dunstan East | 1149-1185 Washington st | Newton

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
-Surprisingly this has not had its own thread created yet though it is approved and the site has been cleared.

DUNSTAN EAST WILL TRANSFORM AN UNEVEN STRETCH OF WASHINGTON STREET IN WEST NEWTON INTO AN ATTRACTIVE URBAN BOULEVARD AND BRING AN UNPRECEDENTED VITALITY TO WEST NEWTON SQUARE.
Picture5.png

“The project is comprised of three mixed use buildings ranging from three to six stories on two blocks. Built by Mark Development and designed by Elkus Manfredi Architects, the project was formally approved in 2021.

• A total of 292 housing units, ranging from studios to three bedrooms.
  • 73 affordable units, 10 of which will be permanently set aside for households earning 50% AMI or less.
  • Approximately 8,000 square feet of retail space

“All of the buildings have ground floors that are primarily comprised of retail and residential common space. The smallest building has 73 apartments and the largest has 133 apartments. Cumulatively, the three buildings offer approximately 292 apartments ranging from studios to three bedrooms. The project provides a total of 7,967 sf of retail space, which will accommodate a variety of local and regional retailers. Parking is provided in two subterranean garages that provide a total of 318 spaces. The total area of the project, excluding parking, is 370,124 sf.

All of the apartments are within a 10 minute walk of both commuter rail and local and express bus stops, which will diminish automobile dependency for the residents. The two larger buildings are paired to form an interior courtyard and define the block alongWashington Street. These form a strong street wall along the north side of Washington Street which helps define the corridor and sets the edge for generous sidewalks along the retail stores that occupy the ground floors of these buildings.

The sidewalks are characterized by street trees, streetlights, and comfortable benches to encourage strolling and shopping. Parallel parking spaces line the street and protect pedestrians from the moving traffic beyond. The wide lanes of Washington Street could also be narrowed to accommodate dedicated bicycle lanes if the City desires. The smaller building is on a lot further down Kempton Place. It will front on Kempton Place as well as a new publicly accessible green space facing the Cheesecake Brook.”

https://www.newtonma.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/68190/637539113940130000

1692061403467.png

1692061431956.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

https://www.dunstanupdates.com/

https://www.newtonma.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/72938/637636858904170000

IMG_8812.jpeg
https://www.newtonma.gov/government/planning/development-review/high-interest-projects/dunstan-east

Site is cleared
IMG_8811.jpeg

I like the materials (or what I assume they'll be from the renders) and the massing. Surprised this got the green light; the aerial shot shows a neighborhood type normally quite adverse to dense resi projects.

I like the materials (or what I assume they'll be from the renders) and the massing. Surprised this got the green light; the aerial shot shows a neighborhood type normally quite adverse to dense resi projects.

A dense commercial strip abutting the highway and train tracks?

Two things I'll believe when I see them:
  1. There will be that much small retail, and it's highly occupied.
  2. Washington St will be reduced to two car lanes.

It was done through 40B; I can't recall if they had a compromise at the end or not that made it technically not a 40B application, but it was driving the process the whole way. There was a bit less pushback than the average spot in Newton, though still some: that stretch is one of the less pleasant on Washington St as-is, lots of low-rent auto-centric uses, but the area north gets fully residential immediately. The one retailer displaced that everyone loves (the Barn) got what I assume was a good deal for a brand new spot in the Newtonville development to the east.

The site has been fully clear for quite a while at this point. I assume they're doing prep work, though it could be stalled just as easily. I drive by there at least a couple of times a week and it never seems like much is going on, but I could just be there at the wrong times. Confident it will (eventually) get done, and the developer's work in Newtonville has worked out well. This stretch will be a fun one to watch over the next 10-20 years, especially if/when the commuter rail gets double tracked and we can get some real service.

God I would have loved to have seen these villages before the Pike turned them into interchanges.

Here is a photo of West Newton. Before the turnpike there 4 or 5 train tracks with locomotives billowing soot since the 1800s. Also interesting in the photo, I noticed why Washington Street is so wide. Looks at all the cars in the 45 degree parking strip along Washington! For reference, the church is on the left and the site is just off the photo to the right.

There will be that much small retail

Have you seen the recently completed Mark Development projects on Washington St? I don't believe there is much, if any, retail space that has not been leased yet.

Here is a photo of West Newton. Before the turnpike there 4 or 5 train tracks with locomotives billowing soot since the 1800s. Also interesting in the photo, I noticed why Washington Street is so wide. Looks at all the cars in the 45 degree parking strip along Washington! For reference, the church is on the left and the site is just off the photo to the right.

Yeah, I was thinking that the villages probably didn't look that much different since the train tracks are directly next to the highway throughout the majority of Newton.

Back