East Boston: Pedestrian bridge and hotel

I understand why they built the Tobin, but not why they removed the older bridge -- seems like you'd want to keep it for redundancy purposes, if nothing else. Also, wouldn't people in both cities have complained about no longer being able to walk or bike between them?

Given the ship collision in 1936 mentioned on the link posted above, I'm guessing that it was considered a navigation hazard. My dad's oldest friend was in the Merchant Marine and retired a captain with United States Lines. I'll ask him.

Would it be possible to cantilever a ped/bike path off the side of the Tobin? That would be a lot cheaper than building a whole new bridge I would think. Connect the East Boston Greenway with the Charles River Paths (and the future Somerville Community Path Extension). That would be an awesome connection.

The ferry would do just fine...just not enough demand. Someone tries every so often, but not enough people show up. Perhaps a legitimate ferry landing where people could wait indoors and get a cup of coffee would go a long way.

A ferry from Chelsea to downtown might be a good idea (I think they tried one recently from Admiral's Hill). But there's no need for one currently from Eastie. A third water taxi stop somewhere near Maverick would help, but I think the water taxi is sufficient for this market (given the presence of the Blue Line).

Having a ferry defeats the purpose: this is supposed to be a walkable/bikeable solution so we don't have to pay to get across.

Let's go down this pedestrian bridge path again. If a ped bridge could somehow be attached alongside the existing Tobin bridge, I imagine it would be pretty long and would need landing ramps on the Chelsea and Charlestown sides. Any thoughts on where those could be located?

Let's go down this pedestrian bridge path again. If a ped bridge could somehow be attached alongside the existing Tobin bridge, I imagine it would be pretty long and would need landing ramps on the Chelsea and Charlestown sides. Any thoughts on where those could be located?

How about a cable car system suspended on either side of the Tobin. Large cabin cars big enough for bikes and people. Cable runs at the upper deck level, cars suspended to the lower deck level. One direction each side for balance.

Getting through there now, is a living hellacious nightmare!

Just got back from washing clothes at the new Laundromat just before that area there. Made a U-turn on Border Street from the Laundromat & went in the opposite direction to Sumner Street, going past Maverick Sq.

You can't even drive up into the parking lot near McDonald's now because it is frigging closed off!! They force you to go through the other ramp near Shaw's! :mad:

Back