East Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

Slanty roof! Boston's calling card at this point, we can't come up with anything more creative than that

Walked around Cambridge this afternoon from Kenmore to Inman Square, so not fully sure how to get back to any of these places but definitely some nice projects in a pre-covid world
F20F5F35-2472-41FC-A128-B90FEA6145DB.jpeg

566EEFAA-1093-4D76-9148-9676823F496E.jpeg

There's something darkly humorous about all the infill on the west side of 1st st that's 1-2 stories at best in the back or along the side streets. A beautiful reminder of the unseriousness of our planning.

Demo is underway of the former "Live Poultry Fresh Killed" building on Cambridge St. in East Cambridge. I never really noticed how that building was globbed onto a beautiful old (1869) structure at right until this demolition made that more obvious, despite walking by a million times.

mp_cs_1.jpg

Before shot:
mp_cs_2.jpg

From Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/7VPKigc7UVvKHc9WA

What’s going there? Probably zero chance they’re putting the sign back up.

What’s going there? Probably zero chance they’re putting the sign back up.

Looks to be this (scroll down to see renderings). Seems like multiple parcels aggregated for redev., will include restoration of this historic bldg:
^from therein:
mp_cs-3.jpg

Meanwhile, here's info on the historic building:

...and you've missed a whole big deal re: the chicken sign:

Last edited:
Looks to be this (scroll down to see renderings). Seems like multiple parcels aggregated for redev., will include restoration of this historic bldg:
^from therein:
View attachment 34415

Meanwhile, here's info on the historic building:

...and you've missed a whole big deal re: the chicken sign:
Will this be a lab? I scrolled through the 1st linked doc and couldn't tell. I hope not, because I spent my early childhood (until 5 years old) in that neighborhood and have great memories of my wonderful mother and I walking along Cambridge street, and going into the stores and shops there in the early 1950s. Oh well, at least it will be good to preserve and restore these buildings.

Will this be a lab? I scrolled through the 1st linked doc and couldn't tell. I hope not, because I spent my early childhood (until 5 years old) in that neighborhood and have great memories of my wonderful mother and I walking along Cambridge street, and going into the stores and shops there in the early 1950s. Oh well, at least it will be good to preserve and restore these buildings.

Yeah, it read as pretty vague to me too. My guess is a couple of retail storefronts plus a presently on-spec "lab/office" space making up the bulk of the space. Cambridge st. needs a lot of love, so provided they do quality restorations of the historic stuff and retain a good percentage of street fronting retail, I think it's generally a net positive. I would oppose this if historic facades and storefronts were being leveled for mono-block labs fronting Cambridge St (a la what's been floated for Davis Sq.); but it seems this is a pretty small project with decent preservation.

Yeah, it read as pretty vague to me too. My guess is a couple of retail storefronts plus a presently on-spec "lab/office" space making up the bulk of the space. Cambridge st. needs a lot of love, so provided they do quality restorations of the historic stuff and retain a good percentage of street fronting retail, I think it's generally a net positive. I would oppose this if historic facades and storefronts were being leveled for mono-block labs fronting Cambridge St (a la what's been floated for Davis Sq.); but it seems this is a pretty small project with decent preservation.
Yes, I agree. If they can have even a modicum of retail, that would be great. True story: I remember my mother and i walking along Cambridge Street when I was around 4 years old, and me going with her into various shops until she found for me a gingerbread man I wanted. Lots of good memories like that about East Cambridge.

Went and found the plans for 8 Winter St (Dunkin) and I'm pretty disappointed: surface parking (right next to Lechmere!) + unactivated corner + poor urban design + low-ish density (than I feel is warranted for the site).

I'm surprised this site is not being developed into one multi-unit building (mixed-use ideally) and with zero parking (especially surface parking). The site is on a fairly prominent corner and could really benefit from a structure built up to its lot-lines. Instead, the plan reads a bit like an urban cul-de-sac. I have nothing against 'laneway' style projects, but this is really the wrong location for one.

What stage of planning/development is this in? Any Cambridge residents willing to voice concern/vouch for density?

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 13.08.56.png
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 13.07.07.png
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 13.07.57.png

Forgot to add: a total of only 6 units!!!

I agree! Too much parking. It's a very busy corner, and I think building out to the lot lines would be better for the future inhabitants as well. This design seems better suited for a section of Cambridge or Somerville near Medford or Arlington.

Back