Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

I will only speak for myself: I like the idea of the economy doing well even though I don't really feel like I'm seeing it reflected in my wages. I also hear a lot about businesses doing well; I suspect if you ask the people who manage them, you are going to get different answers than the people they employ. In real terms though I don't think I'm doing that much better than a few years ago. So: not doing great but we'd all obviously be worse off in a recession.

Well said, its all about perspective...For employees that have retirement accounts, a nice indicator is to look at returns over the past 18-24 months vs the historical average. It goes unnoticed but many Americans have these benefits but rarely check up to see how their money is growing and working for them although they may not be seeing large raises.

We are also supposed to cut government spending in an expansionary economy but that NEVER happens.

Exactly. The federal reserve was literally created to smooth out the highs and lows that used to be a regular part of the economic cycle. Lower interest rates in downtowns to create spending then raise them in the upswing to pay it back.

Watching the debt increase sharply during massive economic growth as is happening now is not a good sign, because as I was saying... if were not paying it back now in a boom, then when the hell do we think we will? In a recession? Thats why it points toward this being partly or largely a debt financed boom... which can only end bad for the aforementioned reason... it never gets paid off.

The plan right now is literally to kick the can down the road and let someone else figure it out later. The national debt is at 22 trillion now, what will it be in 2050 for Christs sake? Thats why we need to get out of this election cycle short term planning dysfunction of promise more and more and more, and actually be planning, as some type of separate entity, out 20, 30, 50 years how to tackle this. As it is now the politicians have to promise more or they wont be elected, so nobody can run on a reduction in quality of life/cutting programs/reduced spending to pay the bills and it compounds. Idk.... end rant I guess.

-Anyways back to the project, I usually dont like gerbil tubes, but this one doesnt go over a road and seems like its going to be pretty neat.

The ROI would be a city in which people can easily and quickly move about from one place to another. Public transit efficacy can't be measured by traditional business metrics.

Does anyone actually KNOW what their plan is here for dewatering the parking garage and keeping seawater out? Half of the back corners first floor retail is 4' below grade. I would have expected the parking garage to include automatic seawater barriers on all these projects but all I ever see are sand bags and garage doors.

64 posts since 2007.... such restraint. :-D

Does anyone actually KNOW what their plan is here for dewatering the parking garage and keeping seawater out? Half of the back corners first floor retail is 4' below grade. I would have expected the parking garage to include automatic seawater barriers on all these projects but all I ever see are sand bags and garage doors.

In all seriousness, What did you search for? Using the Search this Thread option at the top I couldn't find an answer.

I think he actually meant you have real restraint for posting only 60ish times in over a decade, Chitch.

As an aside, the west side of Echelon isn't four feet below grade...right? That seems wrong. Topo maps show this zone no lower than the Seaport Blvd frontage; you have to go into Fort Point to find lower land.

All below grade parking garages have pumps that would be used to dewater. In general, there is very little water in these garages.

On the rare occasion (however often anyone really thinks this will happen, it's still relatively rare) of a seawater surge into the garage, it'll get pumped out. Most important things are not in the garage. The electrical vaults are now located higher to protect against this.

Aside from spending money, what's the major advantage to an automatic seawater gate vs. garage doors/sand bags?

I think building the bathtub to keep groundwater out is of bigger concern, and is a constant issue.

A question I’m hoping you guys in the US can answer. I’m from Toronto, Canada and my understanding is that in the US, or at least in Boston, they don’t allow for pre sale condos to US residents?

Any news if any retail or restaurants have signed up for space in Echelon?

Back