Emerson College's Paramount Center

Re: BRA approves Emerson College's Paramount Center

Could be an interesting event or at least a good chance to see the Black Box Theater. Not free though . . .

Anyone have any questions about the place? I'm there pretty frequently. (Though I don't have classes there.)

Is there any way I can get to see it (maybe with you) without buying tickets to a Celebrity Series show?

I'll look into it Monday!

I'd like to see the inside of this place too. I bet a lot of people would.

I'd like to see the inside of this place too. I bet a lot of people would.
On the contractor's, Bond Brothers, website.

emerson.jpg

What page is that photo from? It's not here.

wow. serriously? ornate much?

I hate theaters that are too overly ornate. In this space, if the play or performance is even remotly on the boring side, everyone will get distracted by the beautiful paintings on either side of the proscenium. Also, now any scenery that is put into this space will look out of place becasue of the asian influence of the theater. Beautiful ornate ceiling... go for it. Amazing chandiler... by all means. Huge detiled painting just off the stage... bad idea. It will just distract from the performance.

You do realize the recreated ornament present in the theater was designed in the 1930s right? The architecture and ornament of a theater used to be considered PART of the performance.

If you went to an exclusive restaurant you wouldn't want to be served expensive wine in a plastic party cup. If you go to see a wonderful bit of theater, do you want it to be in some sterile dump?

I hate theaters that are too overly ornate. In this space, if the play or performance is even remotly on the boring side, everyone will get distracted by the beautiful paintings on either side of the proscenium. Also, now any scenery that is put into this space will look out of place becasue of the asian influence of the theater. Beautiful ornate ceiling... go for it. Amazing chandiler... by all means. Huge detiled painting just off the stage... bad idea. It will just distract from the performance.

The stage is illuminated, the audience is not. The audience can barely notice the ornate surrounds when the theater lights go down as the performance begins.

It's really not as tacky as that picture seems to indicate when you're inside. Much more elegant and tasteful. The lighting must have been way up when this photo was taken . . . as I recall it the paintings weren't nearly this loud.

It's really not as tacky as that picture seems to indicate when you're inside. Much more elegant and tasteful. The lighting must have been way up when this photo was taken . . . as I recall it the paintings weren't nearly this loud.
AmericanFolkLegend is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Or the camera's aperture was opened up too much.

I think the space is beautiful. I can't make a real judgement on it because I have not been in there but I don't have an issue with the ornate design of it. I am more interested in the sight lines, acoustics, and intimacy of the space. I would say that if a performance is boring, then the artists involved have no one to blame but themselves if the audience starts looking at the designs of the theater instead of the show.

I have seen theater at the Wang Theater (probably the most ornate theater I've been in) and I seen shows in room where all the walls, ceiling, and floor are black. While I will say choosing the right show for the right venue can be paramount (no pun intended) for a successful evening of art, it is not the only factor that will make or break a show.

I am just glad to know that once the modern is finished there will be 4 theaters on the same city block. compared to what that street looked like in 2000 that's pretty awesome.

yeah it may just be the photo, but orange in a theater... seriously?

At the theater I work for we just had a huge argument about what color to paint the back wall. It was a maroon, but it took away from the scenery, so we painted it a dark blue instead which has worked out nicely.

I guess it may just be that I perfer black box style theaters to the old proscenium ones that are being renovated. They are smaller, more intimate and more of a challenge to work in. As a scenic designer I do not want to have to compete with the house visually.

The old ornate interiors were great when most productions started with a closed curtain so that audiences had something to heighten their senses before the production, but nowadays, most shows have the set in full view as soon as the audience enters. Now I do not know how most plays will be presented in this space, but I would assume they would go with the curtain open, unless the curtain itself is as ornate as the theater is.

Don't get me wrong I think that the paintings are beautiful (from what I can see of them) and I applaud the restoration work. If the paintings were further on house right or left I would be fine, but with them right at the proscenium with the proscenium itself being painted bright orange, I think it will just be distracting. Even the Palais Garnier, the most ornate theater I know of, uses muted colors around its proscenium. ( http://oberon481.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4e3853ef012876729026970c-pi )

It is just my taste, and if the picture does make everything look louder than it really is, I'm sorry for the rants.

Holy hell I'm getting old. I"ve heard it all now. ALSO I am enjoying judgements from people who haven't even been in this theater under proper light conditions!!!!

The mind filters out unneeded information. When the lights go down, it will happen here on the too overly ornate. Pictures can't show how the too overly ornate parts will look. Especially when the only existing pictures are to highlight the restoration/replacment of the too overly ornate parts and not show performance conditions.

For another example, absent audio distractions, can you read a book in the too overly ornate McKim building, as easily as in the Johnson building? I know I can!!!!!

I can assure you all the theatre is lovely and the artwork is appropriately subdued under normal lighting conditions. Not tacky in any way.

Sadly, I can't bring in guests to poke around, so you'll have to take my word for it for the time being.

Will there eventually be a public grand opening?

I believe at some point. Right now they're taking a staged approach to it. (no pun intended). It was funny to see them charge alumni $1,000 to take a tour and get their name engraved on a seat. I walked in the Paramount a week later for free. (no engraved nameplate for me though - sad day)

While the theatre is a real gem, the academic areas are very dull and bland. There's not much to see there, to be honest. The Kevin Bright Screening room is cute, but much of the rest of the interior is white floors and white walls. Occasionally grey Alucobond walls and white floors.

While the theatre is a real gem, the academic areas are very dull and bland. There's not much to see there, to be honest. The Kevin Bright Screening room is cute, but much of the rest of the interior is white floors and white walls. Occasionally grey Alucobond walls and white floors.

I disagree Arborway. I thought the open spaces were quite lively, the black box theater was cool (I'd never been in one) and I think you're right that the screening room was well done. Maybe my opinion is skewed by all the students hanging out, rehearsing, etc. but I didn't find the environment dull at all.

Back