Emerson's Hollywood extension campus

I think an early design for this was discussed here before. The consensus was that such ambitious architecture would never rise in Boston. Much like Emerson seniors' creative careers? I hope their success on the West Coast doesn't presage Emerson shifting more operations out that way.

It's getting ripped here by a lot of people - it's disrespectful to the historic low-rise area, it's not where most activity is, it's ugly, disruptive construction, ... I say build it because it'll help a crap part of hollywood, it won't harm the residential area because it's on a big commercial boulevard which has never blended with the residential area around it, the area will start redeveloping in the next cycle and this will be not be out of the action for long, and ugliness (if it is ugly) is an Angeleno art form, so do it.
i don't think it's a threat to the boston school - it's an extension campus, will be used for a sort of west coast study abroad. half of emerson comes out here anyway (it's amazing how many bostonians or people who spent time in boston are out here in the industry, hollywood even has 2 boston themed bars, one complete with a mini green monsta)
what i wonder is how big emerson's endowment is?

Last edited:
I'm usually one of the last people in here to hate on this kind of stuff, but that rendering looks like the federal reserve tower ate the intercontinental then had a bowl movement.

What does LA think?

You guys are pessimistic winner babies!!! What's wrong with yall? LA has anything iconic and something comes along that is iconic gets instsnly ragged on. LA is suppose to be a world class city and all world class cities have lots of buildings. LA hardly has buildings so I am happy anything gets built. Really there's nothing wrong with this building. Hope it gets built.

vs

Gotta agree with Woolsey, this building is out of place for this stretch of Sunset. It will look even more out of place when (if) the 20+ story Sunset Gordon tower is built across the street.

Sunset Blvd really needs a Community Design Overlay District so there are design guidelines and standards to drive forward a unified visual identify for the Boulevard.

That said, almost anything would be better than the empty lot that is currently here.

Development babble is the same everywhere.

Back