Even Newer Northeastern Dorm Building

castevens

Reaction score
73832shx.png

Northeastern officials recently announced specific plans for the design of a new residence hall, which will replace Cullinane Hall located on Saint Botolph Street. The new hall, called Building "K", will be designed similarly to the West Village buildings and will house 600 students, said Jeff Doggett, director of government relations and community affairs, at the Community Task Force meeting in Raytheon Amphitheater Thursday.

Doggett said the Community Task Force, a city advisory group started in 2004 to plan new housing projects at Northeastern, first met a year and a half ago to discuss plans for this new residence hall, set to open in Fall 2011.

The construction of Building K is part of a 2004 amendment to the university's Master Plan, said interim university interim spokesperson Jim Chiavelli. The construction of Parcel 18 is also part of this amendment, he said.

"We believe that having more students live on campus is important to our students and to the city, and I would say it fits well with the long term vision we have for the campus," Doggett said.

The site was approved as a residence hall site in December 2006, and the university started designing it about three or four months ago, Doggett said.

It is important for Building K to be built because it fits with the university's agreement with the community to build two residence halls, Doggett said.

Now that the university is building Parcel 18, "we need to live up to our side of the agreement and build the second [residence hall]," Doggett said.

Parcel 18 is expected to open in Fall 2009, according to a Feb. 28 issue of the Northeastern News,

Building K will have 150 four-person apartments and house students, said Clifford Gayley, associate principal for design of William Rawn Associates, Architects, Inc., which is designing the hall.

The apartments will either have two double bedrooms or four single bedrooms, and they will all have a living room, kitchen and two-compartment baths, Gayley said.

The university is unsure if upperclassmen or freshmen will live in the new building, Chiavelli said.

The current Cullinane Hall is now home to the university's building services and facilities departments, which will be moved to a yet-to-be determined location, Doggett said.

http://media.www.nu-news.com/media/...011-3443918.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition

that new one above looks nice

Northeastern's attempt at copying MIT's Simmons Hall on the other hand.....

Good to see things happening at NEU

and good to see more dorms being built...and hopefully less students renting

That building looks pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking or particularly fantastic about it, but, at the same time, I don't look at it and cringe or wonder what the hell the architect was thinking.

How far away is this from the GrandMarc site? Maybe the mayor knew this was in the cards when he turned the imperial thumbs down on GrandMarc.

This building is across St Botolph from the GrandMarc, and having 2 giant dorms together was a big issue for the neighborhood from the beginning. Even Menino could have been aware of that.

Does GrandMarc really bring anything to the city that the schools aren't already supplying? If so other locations might be better, such as Assembly Sq Somerville. A grad school village was proposed for Assembly Sq at one point.

Last edited:
I'm liking it. a lot. Now if they could only put one on that corner where that picture was taken from.

kz posted this picture in the GrandMarc thread: The cute brick building to the left is Cullinane Hall, which will be demolished for this project.

img3293kh7.jpg

Also from the GrandMarc thread, the developers of the GM knew that NU was putting a 22-story tall building on Cullinane Hall's site, so they put a generic 22-story tall building in their renderings:

GrandMarc___skyline.jpg

GrandMarc___Huntington.jpg

Obviously the new rendering looks nothing like it, but this is just to show you the location to the YMCA, the city, and Matthews Arena on Mass Ave.

At first I was happy to read William Rawn is doing this project, thinking of the mess Kyu Sung Woo created at the parcel 18 dorm. But considering both firms produced quality stuff for the west campus, it'll be interesting to see how the Rawn ends up --- if it turns out to be garbage then Northeastern must be tightening their design budget; but if it turns out well then it looks like Woo has become incompetent since he did the Behrakis Center and dorm.

This is crazy we shouldn't let northeastern take over the whole damn city. This is worst than emerson and sufflok taking over downtown. We need this space for housing

Easy there skipper, Northeastern already owns the land that the dorm will be built on and the GrandMarc proposal is dead, so I don't see what the problem is. I'd rather not have Northeastern at all, but this project does nothing to further threaten new housing proposals. I'm guessing you don't get out much or at least you have a very minimal knowledge of Boston, but there is absolutely no shortage of vacant land and underutilized properties should there be a surge in demand for housing. By the way, Emerson and Suffolk, taking over downtown, what are you talking about?

Boston is a college town, and will likely always will be. Unless the schools completely take over the city, I have no problem with these schools developing land that they own. If done right, these school-related projects can bring many benefits to the area. Maybe not this one in particular (it is a dorm building, after all), but I can't help but think that these schools are a major reason as to why Boston is where it is today.

Cullinane Hall, the Botolph Builidng in my day, is the original Northeastern building, after the YMCA itself. The university has owned that tiny piece of land since 1898!

Looking at the picture of the new dorm, I find it hard to see how it will fit in the Cullinane site though. At least it looks far better than the Parcel 18 block.

In that case, I'm a bit surprised that NU wants to just demolish it instead of somehow incorporating it into a larger new structure.

If Emerson and Suffolk weren't taking over parts of downtown, those parts would be entirely dead.

Cullinane Hall, the Botolph Builidng in my day, is the original Northeastern building, after the YMCA itself. The university has owned that tiny piece of land since 1898!

Looking at the picture of the new dorm, I find it hard to see how it will fit in the Cullinane site though. At least it looks far better than the Parcel 18 block.

are u sure about that? i always though that the krentzman quad buildings were first. i don't know cullinane hall's history but i was under the impression it was a rather insignificant building

This is crazy we shouldn't let northeastern take over the whole damn city. This is worst than emerson and sufflok taking over downtown. We need this space for housing

Emerson is one institution that really goes to great lengths to minimize its impact on the area. And most people here should be happy to know it has an official "vertical campus" policy in effect. Expand up whenever possible, out when necessary. Emerson relocated its entire campus over the past decade or so to reign in the school, and keep it from being sprinkled all over the Back Bay.

The school also took over some historic theaters to preserve them.

I would expect a new dorm proposal from them in the near-ish future though. The housing situation there is critical, and it's probably not at all cheap to farm a good portion of it out to nearby hotels.

Emerson and the BRA seem to be on good terms though, and Emerson students don't seem to have much of a bad rap around the area, so it might not have a hard time making that happen.

Back