Evolution of the Prudential Center: 1954-1989

The Bank of New England off to the left had a Dali. I'm not kidding and authentic Dali.

Things were super-bonkers back in the day. Lawrence Berk, founder of what is now the Berklee College of Music empire, apparently had a rent-controlled penthouse in the Boylston (now, Ava) residential building. A rent-controlled penthouse. I don’t even know how that works!

Things were super-bonkers back in the day. Lawrence Berk, founder of what is now the Berklee College of Music empire, apparently had a rent-controlled penthouse in the Boylston (now, Ava) residential building. A rent-controlled penthouse. I don’t even know how that works!
I worked for the company that managed the Pru in the late 80's and early 90's. I would see the A/R on rents and they were at then Dorchester three decker top floor rents for some units.

1663008227234.png

Holy crap, I just noticed in the above pic that a fairly large scale model of the Prudential Tower was built and placed on the construction site. How cool was that!

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 11.09.56 AM.png

NE Merchants Bank branch at the Pru, including the Dali painting in the background on the right

Back