Failed Development Projects | Portland

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
Fisherman's Wharf(Portland Lobster Co). Bateman decided to drop the Hotel due to outcry from the fisherman.

1577389423920.png

Last edited:
1577389513264.png

Westin Hotel at Jordan's Meats, project changed to Hampton Inn and a undeveloped lot.

I could not find pics for these failed projects :
Lincoln Square Project Top of Old Port Parking Lot.
Boulos Tower/Convention Center Top of Old Port Parking Lot.
Office Tower next to Court House.
Office Tower behind 511 Congress Street.
New Civic Center Bayside.
Gulf of Maine Aquarium to be located behind Gulf of Maine Research to replace floating barge.
Floating Hotel(dimillos).
Liberty Group(Fisherman's Wharf Project) 80's
Westin Hotel Ballroom space on Congress Street
Waterview Condos Cumberland Ave.
Long Wharf Hotel/Retail project on parking lot at Dimillos.
Office project next to Children's musuem.
Portland Square office buildings including garage proposed by original builder. Now proposed by new owner 20 years later

I never knew that 221 Congress and 161 York were dead. What killed them off besides the normal NIMBY opposition?

View attachment 2153
Lincoln Square project
I believe that's the later Boulos project; the amazing Portland History group on Facebook has the original pics of Lincoln Square and I think even the Federal Street tower (old jail site, now the courthouse expansion).

There was also a waterfront study the city had done in the 80's by the group that built Baltimore's Inner Harbor; that, Eastern Point and maybe the Fisherman's Wharf project were what spurred the 1987 referendum.

OK, from the Portland, Maine History Facebook group, the original Lincoln Square pics that were originally gotten from this forum (Somewhere...)

The original proposal, with a max height of 330 ft (which would have been the tallest building north of Boston):
Lincoln_Square_1.jpg

The revised proposal, max height 227 feet:

Lincoln_Square_2.jpg

I notice that these images still have the old County Jail on Federal St., barely visible.

One of these days I'd love to see a visual of what the Portland skyline would look like today as viewed from across Back Cove if the original Lincoln Square project was developed.

Last edited:
Lets not forget these unbuilt gems:
Graves Hill:
graves hill 1.jpg
graves hill 2.jpg
graves hill 3.jpg
GRAVES HILL 4.jpg

Pearl Office Tower:

pearl_1.jpg
pearl_2.jpg

Newbury Street or "The Village"
site_small.jpg